Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 11:02 AM

38,014 posts, read 22,198,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Then please tell me what has been your position on US policy with regards to Libya. I must ask because not too long ago, you were whining and complaining about Obama not saying a word about the "murderous regime" in Libya.
I was responding to how 0bama inserted himself in Honduras, but not Iran, and Egypt, but not Libya. I was critical of 0bama because he seems to leap at the chance to give the back of his hand to our allies, but was silent when the country was not an ally. I was responding to an incoherent foreign policy, which has gotten even more incoherent by the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 11:02 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,302,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
And to those who have difficulty with googling....

At UN, US Pushing for Broader Military Authorization Versus Gadhafi -- But Only With Arab Participation - Political Punch

Looky there,the USA was the one pushing for a BROADENING of the no fly zone....to include bombing ground forces....

One might almost come to think that the USA led the charge in this new war.....
Mission creep.

I'm sure Obamatrons are convinced that Clinton didn't really take us into war in Yugoslavia. Since it was sanctioned by some other countries, the economy was improving and no Americans had to die, it wasn't really a war now, was it?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:05 AM

68,348 posts, read 54,470,554 times
Quote:
I was ambivalent on Iraq,I couldn't ever figure out what the reasoning was as it changed all the time....but once we were fighting,we might as well do it to win and get the F' out....not linger around rebuilding them into something they are not.
I have to say I don't understand your ambivalence about a full scale invasion while you're so up in arms about this bombing. I'm not a fan of either but have doubts we'll be mired in Libya in 2019.

Quote:
So what is the obsession you have with needing UN approval to bomb the crap out of another nation that is of no threat to the USA?
Does it make you feel better or something?
Defiance of UN resolutions was one of those things that were supposed to make us feel better about invading Iraq. Our government, on both sides of the aisle, is remarkably adept at inventing reasons for virtually anything they choose to do, far too many of those actions go unquestioned.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:06 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,847,398 times
Quote:
The USA is doing the bulk of the bombing.

The USA is spending the bulk of the money.

The USA is calling the shots.

The USA is leading the new war of the week.

Seems simple even an Einstein could figure it out.
Einstein was for making things simple, not simpler as your premise is completely built upon.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:06 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,889,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Mission creep.

I'm sure Obamatrons are convinced that Clinton didn't really take us into war in Yugoslavia. Since it was sanctioned by some other countries, the economy was improving and no Americans had to die, it wasn't really a war now, was it?
Actually I have had people on the left basically say that as no American lives were lost,the Balkan fiasco was fine....

Guess Serbian civilians being collateralised is okay.

Same as in Libya now,if we have to break a few Libyans in order to protect the oil for France,so be it.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I was responding to how 0bama inserted himself in Honduras, but not Iran, and Egypt, but not Libya. I was critical of 0bama because he seems to leap at the chance to give the back of his hand to our allies, but was silent when the country was not an ally. I was responding to an incoherent foreign policy, which has gotten even more incoherent by the day.
I didn't ask you about Honduras, Iran and Egypt. I asked you to clarify your (foreign policy) position on Libya that you quoted in your previous post. Would you mind telling me about that, so we can get on a debate on Libya and the actions being taken against Gaddafi?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:08 AM

68,348 posts, read 54,470,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
How do we even know who's an ally these days? It's all more about $$$ than anything else, otherwise how could we for example claim the Saudis as allies while they fund radical, anti-American madrassas?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:09 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,889,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I have to say I don't understand your ambivalence about a full scale invasion while you're so up in arms about this bombing. I'm not a fan of either but have doubts we'll be mired in Libya in 2019.
Because it wasn't that long after 9/11,we were told an awful lot of things as to why we needed it attack Iraq,most of which turned out to not be true.
It was my mistake,not one I will make again.

Quote:
Defiance of UN resolutions was one of those things that were supposed to make us feel better about invading Iraq. Our government, on both sides of the aisle, is remarkably adept at inventing reasons for virtually anything they choose to do, far too many of those actions go unquestioned.
True enough.

I care nothing for 'international law',we are a sovereign nation.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:10 AM

38,014 posts, read 22,198,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
I'm leftist, yes, but I loath all politicians, and am surprised so many people are still foaming at the mouth over thier lies. Obama has done better than Bush. btw, did you or did you not support Bush when he lied about WMD, lied about yellowcake, and attacked a nation without the backing of the UN?
We do not attack another country when our national security is not at risk. But, if we believe our national security is at risk then we do not need the UN to agree with us.

At least Bush presented his case to the people and the congress before invading, obama did neither, so how does that equate to "Obama has done better than Bush"? 0bama is a reckless president.

I'm not going to bother replaying the endless statements by Clinton and the democratic party leaders, who made the same exact case for Saddam and WMDs as Bush did.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Because it wasn't that long after 9/11,we were told an awful lot of things as to why we needed it attack Iraq,most of which turned out to not be true. It was my mistake,not one I will make again.
Don't be so sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies