Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:24 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Guys, make sure you downplay this and elevate any civilian deaths in Iraq. It's important that Obama's favorite warfront be kept pure and unmolested by reality.
It seems as, with every post you make, you try and drag every subject off topic and make it about Obama/Bush or Republican/Democrats.

Like many conservatives, your attention span is very short. The topic is murdered civilians in a guerrilla war that has lasted almost 10 years, and all guerrilla wars increase in savagery over time.

None of this should be a shock to anyone, as this is one of the few times we found out about things that happen all the time over there, and that is that most casualties of war are civilians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 04:30 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
None of this should be a shock to anyone, as this is one of the few times we found out about things that happen all the time over there, and that is that most casualties of war are civilians
Exactly. The military just calls it Collateral Damage.
We have such aseptic coverage of what goes on over there, HERE - no wonder folks feel removed from the
realities of these wars. It's a real shame, and of course
these young men will be the ultimate scape goats for all that is evil. I say, really, think again...

Old 03-21-2011, 04:30 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, quite entertaining. Unfortunately, it's off topic.
Sorry, I saw the "License to Kill" part repeated throughout the article, and just took it for a deer hunting article.

http://www.rense.com/general93/The2002.htm

Musta got "license" and "permit" mixed up in my head.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:50 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
if its a legal casulty of war, then there is no real problem with the pics........ no different than grafitti, or any other expression of freedom of speach
Yea...there is a problem with the pics. It's AT A MINIMUM unprofessional conduct. This is combat operations, not a grafitti or art contest. There are standards of conduct that troops are expected to adhere to....especially when you're trying to win hearts and minds. Remember, it's not our country and we weren't invited there.

If you guys want cowboy conduct, then send mercenaries. But if you're sending taxpayer funded soldiers, what they do is in our name. If you need to kill, then kill. But save the photo studio crap for when you get home.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I didn't click on the link. I don't even care, to be honest. If they were innocents, I'm sorry. I really am. But I'd be willing to bet that whatever they did wasn't as bad as what the jihadists would do to our dead.
That's not the point. If our troops have that attitude, then we need to leave Afghanistan immediately. Committing stupid acts puts lives in danger. To equivocate by saying that the jihadists would do worse is a cop-out and lame as hell. We're the United States....there are things that we just don't do. If we're going to behave as the jihadists do, then what's the point?

Old 03-21-2011, 04:53 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Exactly. The military just calls it Collateral Damage.
We have such aseptic coverage of what goes on over there, HERE - no wonder folks feel removed from the
realities of these wars. It's a real shame, and of course
these young men will be the ultimate scape goats for all that is evil. I say, really, think again...
The military and those who prefer the blindsided public remember well the "livingroom war". I grew up watching the news over dinner and seeing raw combat footage on the news. I'm quite sure that had an effect on who I am now, and certaily had an effect on the society. There was an unspoken suspension of the horror of it on the homefront too, and as everything esculated it became okay to shoot at Americans at home too.

Coverage of wars since have been kept far behind the curtain and not been out there to see. Its easier to pass on the convient line if you don't evoke the emotions.

These young men *were* also badly treated by their government and should not have been there at all, on multiple psych drugs along with their use of illegal drugs. They are certainly not alone in that. But it does NOT excuse the deliberate killing of civilians and posting them as hunting tropheys. They are at fault, but so are those who put them there when they should have gone home and stayed before the damage got so deep, but I would not call them scapegoats.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
But Bush was not roasted for "approving of this behavior". He was roasted for the fact that it happened.
And that was completely unfair....however, the Bush administration seemed to tacitly approve of the behavior.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
hmm 9/11 has alot to do with it seeing as the Afghanistan war WAS in response to the terroist attacks.
What we're doing there now hasn't a damn thing to do with 9/11 anymore. We're nation building....and to kill people while doing that pretty much means that we're wasting our time over there.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:59 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,073,191 times
After getting pretty fired about about some posts in this thread and a few other threads that bash soldiers and the MINISCULE amount of dumb things we do overseas, it got me thinking. I would LOVE to see some of these hippie/left-wing/nut jobs released in the middle of Iraq, or Afghan, and see if they could TALK their way out of the Country! If you truly believe you could convince these people, you are again living in a fantasy world! You to would be killed, and the bad guys would do far worse than just pose with a picture of your dead body!

Old 03-21-2011, 05:07 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
The military and those who prefer the blindsided public remember well the "livingroom war". I grew up watching the news over dinner and seeing raw combat footage on the news. I'm quite sure that had an effect on who I am now, and certaily had an effect on the society. There was an unspoken suspension of the horror of it on the homefront too, and as everything esculated it became okay to shoot at Americans at home too.

Coverage of wars since have been kept far behind the curtain and not been out there to see. Its easier to pass on the convient line if you don't evoke the emotions.

These young men *were* also badly treated by their government and should not have been there at all, on multiple psych drugs along with their use of illegal drugs. They are certainly not alone in that. But it does NOT excuse the deliberate killing of civilians and posting them as hunting tropheys. They are at fault, but so are those who put them there when they should have gone home and stayed before the damage got so deep, but I would not call them scapegoats.
getting emotional in a fire fight when your life and your fellow soldiers lifes at risk is the one of the worst things that can happen in combat.

if someone attacks or engages you in a hostile manner you need to be able to react and fire back with out thinking about just. I mean when RPG's and bullits start flying by your head and your fellow troops depend on you, it is not a very good time to start crying and get emotional
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies