Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:30 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,116,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Yep, outsourcing is just an open invitation to political corruption. Who ever bribes the politicians the most gets the sweetheart no bid contract.
Actually, outsourcing is a good way to keep costs low. Don't you think that if the taxpayers found out about a sweetheart deal, they would raise hell and start booting people out of office? Duh.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:30 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Oooh! YES! let's privatize everything!

Then when your house is on fire and you suddenly remember you haven't made your last $500 payment to the Fire Protection Corporation....you watch your house burn to the ground.

And if your house starts the neighbor's house on fire YOU pay for that, too.

AND your insurance won't cover you because you didn't make your last payment.

AND if your street wasn't plowed because your neighbors didn't make their payment to the Road Clearing Corporation the Fire Fighters couldn't be expected to get there anyway

And that Flood Control Corporation....will they back off if their profits are down and their CEO can't make his billions????

How much will the Parks Corporations charge for entry into NATIONAL parks?

How much will you be charged to use the court system?

How much should libraries charge? $100 a month, a thousand?

How high will food prices go when The Corporation for Testing Food charges whatever they want like ALL OTHER PRIVATE CORPORATIONS????
Typical Liberal mindset. I have no personal responsibility, and can't possibly be expected to honor my commitments and pay my bills. Therefore, the govt must protect me from my own incompetence.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:35 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Taxes are at a historical low and our services we receive, MOST YOU are NOT aware of, are a bargain....it is VERY AntiAmerican, and traitorous to be like Repugs and to live here for free!!!....what a sense of ENTITLEMENT Republicans have!!!!!
How dare you. Anti-American? Hmmmm, what do you call taxing citizens into an unsustainable debt? Taking from taxpayers and giving to the unions that got politicians elected. Funding corrupt and partisan broadcasting companies with taxpayer dollars.

By the way, we don't live here for free. Far from it.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:48 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,116,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. End user always pays.

And what happens if corporate profits are reduced, as liberals LOVE to demand? All those cushy public employee pensions would take further hits, too. And why would that be? Guess who owns stock in those corporations and therefore actually reaps the profits?

The following article is a pretty basic explanation of how corporate ownership and profits work, but everyone should be able to understand what's going on:

"This shift of business ownership from rich people to working people may be the greatest economic transformation since the Industrial Revolution.
...So what does all this mean? Well, for starters, it should lead to an end of complaints about the profits of corporations and allegations about 'greedy corporations.' After all, much of that profit now goes toward the current and future retirement incomes of working people."
Business Ownership & Labor Day

Everyone who contributes to or benefits from a 401k, pension fund, mutual fund, annuity, or whole life insurance policy, etc., is a corporate owner, en masse. They get the profits.

Liberals want to strip corporate profits? Go ahead. Just be aware that doing so kisses the rest of your retirement goodbye, because that's EXACTLY what will happen.

Worth repeating!

Old 03-27-2011, 11:49 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So how do city/state governments get the money to pay for these services ?
These are services of the taxpayers..YOU specifically.

Stop blaming "the rich". The US spent more than they took in, living high off debt. Now we are tapped out.

Folks are spending way too much time pointing fingers at someone else.
Look in the mirror if you want to find blame.

You voted people into office. If they handed big business loopholes and tax breaks then why did you re-elect them back into office over and over and over. Now we have no more money and you want to blame someone ?
Why do you think we gave away a trillion dollars to Wall Street? And why are we now going after the last vestiges of a once strong Middle Class?

If you can neither connect the dots nor realize who is responsible for the class warfare, skyrocketing debt (much of it the result of criminal wrongdoing on the part of both Wall Street and the government) then you should probably reevaluate your foundation on where to rest blame, and who, ultimately, is responsible.

Who was arrested and charged since the Wall Street "Too Big To Fail" scandals that led to a massive bailout?

Yea, thats what I thought.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
For cryin' out loud, would you libs get a grip please. I am a contractor for the City of Boston. I oversee utility work for the city. The department of the city that did the job that I do now had a 20% failure rate of road repair after utility work. The failure rate of the road repair now is less than 5%. In other words we do a much better job at half of the cost. In addition, the city outsources trash collection, snow removal, sewer work, street lighting, etc. All of this in the liberal bastion of Boston.
It is only the end of the civilized world in a wingnut's mind.
Thats all possible, the problem with your thought pattern however is the belief this will be repeated, and while your at it your belief sub contracting the "cheapest" is somehow better than responsible, full time employees is usually proven wrong.

While you may fill potholes better than a union crew once did, city government and its employees and the RESIDENTS and PEOPLE they work for are not always best represented by what is most "cost effective".

While more working people lose their jobs, the idea that we are "cutting costs" is mere window dressing, and they have convinced a good portion of Americans that ANY "cost cutting" is good fer 'Murika

Old 03-27-2011, 12:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
1) Your thread title is misleading. Layoffs are not partisan.

2) Suicide has only one person to blame...the person who chooses to take their own life. It's the coward's way out. If I kill myself b/c my husband leaves me, are you going to blame my husband for my death, or are you going to blame me?
You clearly have no knowledge of mental illness.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Why do you think we gave away a trillion dollars to Wall Street? And why are we now going after the last vestiges of a once strong Middle Class?

If you can neither connect the dots nor realize who is responsible for the class warfare, skyrocketing debt (much of it the result of criminal wrongdoing on the part of both Wall Street and the government) then you should probably reevaluate your foundation on where to rest blame, and who, ultimately, is responsible.

Who was arrested and charged since the Wall Street "Too Big To Fail" scandals that led to a massive bailout?

Yea, thats what I thought.
You are mixing the workings of state governments and the federal governments.

Not the same machine.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
What I saw was public workers expecting a COLA
when inflation was at zero

What I see, is states like WI where union state employees didn't contribute to their pensions nor nothing to health care.D
The bold is, in fact, a lie. There are numerous links to the correct information all over CD in the Wisconsin threads. I suggest a search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
What I bolded is as far as I could go.

You are saying if you DON'T make your payment you should still get service?

If you don't pay your internet bill you are going to be cut off. If you don't pay your car loan your car will be repossessed. I guess you haven't heard anything lately about house foreclosures.

Hint. if you don't pay your bills, you don't get services whether it is gov't run or privately run.
There was a thread recently about someone who hadn't paid their bill to a private fire contractor whose house burned down. Many Rs were right there, blasting the fire company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Exactly. It's like the "housing crisis," which was caused moreso by people borrowing more than they could afford as opposed to predatory lending practices. Both sides are to blame for the situation (and I don't think predatory lending was at fault, but rather the banks being too eager to make loans, pushing Clinton's policies on down the line).
What do you think predatory lending IS?

Old 03-27-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You are mixing the workings of state governments and the federal governments.

Not the same machine.
Not the same machine, but the same interests for sure!

You don't think the Republican war on union's springs eternal from its GOP counterparts in the House and Senate?

Come on. When the entire party is bought and paid for, their interests won't compete, they will work in unison to achieve their goals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies