Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 06:12 PM

5,001 posts, read 8,237,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
What was the name of your case? If we are going to see how they've affected you, we need to see the judge's opinion and exactly why it's terrible.

I'll try to find the exact name of the suit in a little bit. Although, I don't see how you're gonna be able to read any documents that came out of each hearing without having access to them.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
One thing you should keep in mind is that the New York Fire Department has historically had issues with racial discrimination especially as it has applied to hiring and promoting Black Americans and Latino Americans. Had they address those issues earlier in all probability the New York Fire Department would not be under court under today.

FDNY's Black Firefighter Problem

The best part about this whole thing is that there are a number of agencies in this city that are overwhelmingly black. Specifically the Corrections dept, and the MTA. The media never talks about this..

Old 03-27-2011, 06:22 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,585,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
The best part about this whole thing is that there are a number of agencies in this city that are overwhelmingly black. Specifically the Corrections dept, and the MTA. The media never talks about this..
What do you want them to say? Generally, those aren't jobs that were very desirable to Whites.....until the recession hit. Jobs in transportation, sanitation, corrections, port authority, public works, etc...these jobs pay a fairly decent wage but are not very desirable until the white collar jobs dried up. Then you have the former white collar workforce seeking to take on those types of positions.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:27 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,468,940 times
Quote:
Not an assertion. I physically saw an official FDNY van show up at the testing site carrying a van full of certain people with a recruiter leading them into the building. The African American friends that I have made throughout this process told me about everything else I stated. There is no link, because it is unspoken.
Yes, they have stepped up the recruitment process NOW, but the first two charges against the City of NY brought by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission was in 2002. A further 3 applicants against the City of NY joined the charges in 2005. The EEOC attempted an informal resolution between the parties, but the City would not come to the table. And just for reference:

When the first EEOC charge was filed in 2002, New York City’s fire department was 2.9 percent Black. The numbers have not changed at all since then, despite the fact that the City has had five years to try to remedy the problem. As of March 2007, the FDNY included 335 Black firefighters out of a total of approximately 11,500 firefighters, still barely more than 2.9 percent. New York City as a whole, by comparison, is 27 percent Black.

And by the way - your beef is not with "a racist judge". Go back to who filed the original charges of discriminatory hiring practices against the FDNY. Those bringing the suit are part of the Vulcan Society, the fraternal organization of Black Firefighters and on behalf of 3 black firefighter applicants named. The EEOC had to refer the matter to the Department of Justice since it was a charge against a public employer. Therefore, it is now DOJ vs. City of NY (and which the Vulcan Society is a party to).

Old 03-27-2011, 06:28 PM

Corrections and sanitation are literally only a couple thousand a yr below cops and ff's. Same bennies, same retirements. These are all open competitive exams. ANYBODY can sign up and take any of them. There are no "family connections" as people love to spout off about.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:29 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,468,940 times
Quote:
I'll try to find the exact name of the suit in a little bit. Although, I don't see how you're gonna be able to read any documents that came out of each hearing without having access to them.
Here's the lawsuit in PDF format.

http://www.nylj.com/nylawyer/adgifs/...10garaufis.pdf

Old 03-27-2011, 06:31 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,972,804 times
Quote:
And by the way - your beef is not with "a racist judge". Go back to who filed the original charges of discriminatory hiring practices against the FDNY. Those bringing the suit are part of the Vulcan Society, the fraternal organization of Black Firefighters and on behalf of 3 black firefighter applicants named. The EEOC had to refer the matter to the Department of Justice since it was a charge against a public employer. Therefore, it is now DOJ vs. City of NY (and which the Vulcan Society is a party to).
Note - It was Bush's DOJ that filed suit against the NYFD- so it's not a lib thing.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:33 PM

cokatie, I obviously know who brought the case. I already spoke about it. My beef is with all of them. All this does is affectively tell certain people that they are not good or smart enough to compete at the level as their white counterparts. Which is BS. This will do nothing but perpetuate the cycle of self uncertainty among people and racial tensions in general. How you cannot see this is baffling.

Gonna watch "the fighter" now...

Old 03-27-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Note - It was Bush's DOJ that filed suit against the NYFD- so it's not a lib thing.
Never once said anything about either party. I can't stand either major party. I can care less who was in power at the time.

Please guys, watch that video I posted a couple pages back...

Old 03-27-2011, 06:36 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,316,337 times
Kinda hard to cry racism when 90% of the people hired are the same race as you. IMO. I mean you can cry, but you don't have a convincing argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies