Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:50 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
A truly brilliant plan. If you aren't rich you don't get to drive. here comes the bad old days back again.
The rich will fire their drivers to experience the thrill of driving.

They'll probably be honking their horns all the time just because they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 08:57 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Just wow.

Every argument I have heard against this idea is friggin stupid.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
A truly brilliant plan. If you aren't rich you don't get to drive. here comes the bad old days back again.
This ban with go into affect by 2050 , and only for Petrol cars.... Europe is ahead of us on alot things , there Petrol mileage is alot better and they more lighter car options. This won't really change anything. Petrol is already expensive over there , hench why there roads and highways are 2x better then ours.... I don't understand why this brothers people so much , if you knew anything about Europe you would know this isn't going to be that big an issue.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:07 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
This ban with go into affect by 2050 , and only for Petrol cars.... Europe is ahead of us on alot things , there Petrol mileage is alot better and they more lighter car options. This won't really change anything. Petrol is already expensive over there , hench why there roads and highways are 2x better then ours.... I don't understand why this brothers people so much , if you knew anything about Europe you would know this isn't going to be that big an issue.
OK diesel sales are 85% of the market of there currently so...

Old 03-29-2011, 09:15 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICANGUY231123 View Post
Would be great for them. They are not as auto dependent as we are. They will do just fine in their walkable cities with efficient mass transit.
oh yeah...real great

so much for getting an ambulance to the hospital...not allowed..its a vehicle that's gas/diesel powered........

liberals never think the WHOLE picture through

Old 03-29-2011, 09:19 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
When something is "proposed" for 40 years in the future... that's a good sign that it isn't a serious or actual proposal. And that it probably shouldn't be taken so seriously. By anyone.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:35 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yeah, I read that. I'm actually embarrased for them. No petro or diesel allowed. Now, if they stop using nuclear plants to generate electricity, as Germany is considering, how will they power the EV's, subways, etc...?

Limiting the ability of people to move about freely is the ultimate loss of liberty.
There is no liberty if you’re a slave to a tradition. Can’t speak for you but I don’t feel liberated when stuck in traffic, watching tail lamps in front of me. And in four decades from now, things aren’t going to get better. The population will double. And it makes for a greater challenge to countries that have land at a premium.

As for Germany, its energy policy is about pushing for renewable energy sources. As of now, 16% of Germany’s electricity is generated using such sources and projected to 80% by 2050. The main drivers are solar, bio-gas and wind, along with hydro and other methods.

Such policies are also, perhaps, the reason why Germany manages to stay out of policy making in "oil producing" nations.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:37 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh yeah...real great

so much for getting an ambulance to the hospital...not allowed..its a vehicle that's gas/diesel powered........

liberals never think the WHOLE picture through
They already have provisions for that.

Seriously, have any of your people even been there?

Old 03-29-2011, 09:43 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
They already have provisions for that.

Seriously, have any of your people even been there?
Groceries!

That's the question!

How DO they do it?

Old 03-29-2011, 09:46 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
On a summer Friday night, about 10 p.m., I was standing near the corner of Boulevard Saint-Michel at the Quai, across from the river, listening to african drummers entertaining the night.

Suddenly a burst of whistles, shouts of clear the streets and more whistles, I turned to look. From the south I could see a crowd... a large throng of people streaming over the crest of the boulevard near Saint Germain, coming towards the river. As the crowd reached the area of the Place Saint-Michel I could see they were all on roller blades, still more steaming over the crest, across the Quai on to Pont Saint-Michel continuing to their destination.

Not a moving auto in sight.

Even more memorable, a Sunday morning leaving club Le Queen at 5:30 a.m., I walked from the Champs Elysee to Boulevard Saint-Michel. Hardly a car in movement on any street, the sun breaking over the horizon. Every few blocks I could catch a glimpse of the Eiffel Tower. The silence was outstanding. At that moment, at that time, the streets of Paris were mine.

But I don't think a ban on autos is going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies