Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 12:01 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Fatty meats and processed foods are ridiculous, too.

Look, I come from a long line of vegetarians (a whole freakin' country), and I understand the point of the diets (philosophical and nutritional)...some of my ancestors lived amongst the Jain...they don't even breathe air without a mask, bc they don't want to unintentionally hurt microorganisms.

As an animal rights supporter, I understand the thoughts behind veganism. And it can be a healthy diet...but vigilance is key. And often supplementation. If that is your preference, so be it. But it is and can be fraught with dangers of malnutrition if you are not very, very careful. And as a mother, that is not a sacrifice you should put upon your children. Kids of vegan mothers are much more likely to be of smaller birth weight, have developmental abnormalities, neurological abnormalities, etc. You'd be mad if a mother drank booze when she was pregnant...I get mad at mothers who inflict their dietary philosophy on their unborn instead of giving them the best start.
Good post. You won't get any argument from me on anything you said. A vegan diet is not for babies and children, or anyone, for that matter, who needs something different than what a vegan diet can provide. My husband does great on it. He is incredibly healthy and youthful looking and energetic. No one would guess he is how old he is! I, on the other hand, feel weak and anemic on a vegan diet and ironically, I gained weight on it (too many carbohydrates).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 12:09 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post

For people like Breibart that preach staying out of other people's lives and smaller government, they sure do stick their noses in other people's business a hell of a lot. I think mother and child has suffered enough yet now the infant's death is being used by a political hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post

People like Breitbart want smaller government not zero government where it would be ok to starve your children to death.
You guys didn't read the linked article, did you?

If you had, you'd know this happened IN FRANCE.

I think the mother was doing what mothers have been told for centuries -- "breast milk is best." I can't imagine that she could be held liable for her baby's death, without proof that it was intentional.

But I want to know where her Obstetrician or Pediatrician were. Did she tell them she was on an all vegan diet? Was she not taking prenatal vitamins during her pregnancy? Does she not take sufficient dietary supplements herself, which most vegetarians and/or vegans do?

Such a tragedy.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:10 PM

419 posts, read 868,799 times
This is a very sad thing, but I don't see it as a cause for outrage. The death doesn't sound intentional. I do wonder if the mother had prenatal care and took her baby to wellness checkups. And if she did, then did the doctor discuss how important it was to supplement her vegan diet? If this mother knew the dangers, but chose not to supplement, then she deserves punishment from the law.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:15 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post

But I want to know where her Obstetrician or Pediatrician were. Did she tell them she was on an all vegan diet? Was she not taking prenatal vitamins during her pregnancy? Does she not take sufficient dietary supplements herself, which most vegetarians and/or vegans do?

Such a tragedy.
Might actual be a casualty of their healthcare system.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:16 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Good post. You won't get any argument from me on anything you said. A vegan diet is not for babies and children, or anyone, for that matter, who needs something different than what a vegan diet can provide. My husband does great on it. He is incredibly healthy and youthful looking and energetic. No one would guess he is how old he is! I, on the other hand, feel weak and anemic on a vegan diet and ironically, I gained weight on it (too many carbohydrates).
Very good point. I used to regularly tangle with dedicated vegans who wanted everyone to eat the diet. I would point out that I can't, that I can't tolerate the foods and would be malnourished. But no matter to them. And I know vegans who follow the diet because it works for them but are not on a crusade. I tried the lacto ovo version and went back to meat. It didn't work for me but I won't tell people they must follow. I don't get the crusades. What if we all pick the diet that works for us?

When it comes to pregnancy and children, however, its a different story. My neice was vegetarian, but when she had her kids she added back selected meats because of concerns for her children. You can balance it out but as has been pointed out, its tricky. An adult can be careful and understand how. Children are impluse eaters and you can't watch their diets so closely.

I'm suspecting in this case there was no doctor monitoring the baby since a baby who dies from malnutrition is hard to miss as in jeopardy, and any doctor seeing the child will know. And the parents should as well. Seeing your baby starve would be hard to miss. If she was breast feeding alone then she needed to see a nutritionist for herself and the baby at the very least.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:46 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Might actual be a casualty of their healthcare system.

Right. She delivered in the woods with a witch doctor.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:48 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Watch your salad.

No tellin' what illegals use for toilet paper.

I'm allergic to salad, or anything with lettuce as the main ingredient.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:50 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I'm allergic to salad, or anything with lettuce as the main ingredient.
Just now?

I mean, I didn't mean to spoil your lunch or nuthin.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:51 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Just now?

I mean, I didn't mean to spoil your lunch or nuthin.

No, always. Lettuce tastes like wet grass.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:55 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Hemp shoe wearing, sprout eaters.
I wear hemp shoes. I grow my own sprouts. I also shoot animals, and wring birds's little necks. Got somethin' to say about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies