Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 02:52 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times

Advertisements

I am using this situation to highlight my point.

Only 14, Bangladeshi girl charged with adultery was lashed to death

This was in Bangladesh. A 14 year old girl was raped by her cousin (who is married), and she was accused of adultery. She was beated and raped by her cousin. The cousin's wife found her - took her back to her hut and beat her.

The penalty for her was 101 lashes. She fell after 70. His penalty was 201 lashes. He escaped after the first few.

Amazingly, an initial autopsy report cited no injuries and deemed her death a suicide.

Then I read this paragraph.

Bangladesh is considered a democratic and moderate Muslim country, and national law forbids the practice of sharia. But activist and journalist Shoaib Choudhury, who documents such cases, said sharia is still very much in use in villages and towns aided by the lack of education and strong judicial systems.

Now I thought about where we are as a country - as far as our declining education standards and our judicial activism - and what this guy said is right on the money.

Many abuses that happen - whether its Sharia, or communism, or any anti-Constitution legislation - occur because many simply do not know the laws of the country. And the judicial branch is used to change how the laws are enforced - and in many cases, their decisions are taken as law without any legislative process.

This instance interested me just because we see judicial activism in our country - but Sharia uses the same tactic. The solution to this problem is an educated population that holds people's feet to the fire when they break the laws.

Thankfully, several people were arrested, including the doctor doing the first autopsy and the rapist, after investigations continued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies