Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 03:33 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Sorry your analogy is loathsome.
Actually, I think his analogy is spot on. The pastor was protesting a culture/religion/society that has been proven to consistently oppress its adherents. What is wrong with protesting against human rights abuses perpetuated in Islam? If we continue to placate these sorry excuses of human beings by tiptoe'ing around what might offend them, then we are complicit in their vile acts. They threaten violence to get their way and terrorize people into submission, and as evidenced by this thread, it's working on some. No thank you. I'll have no part of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 03:37 PM

563 posts, read 929,890 times
There is not a day that passes when I use C-D that I am not it awe at how differently we humans can perceive the same event. Isn't life grand?

Old 04-03-2011, 03:37 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Actually, I think his analogy is spot on. The pastor was protesting a culture/religion/society that has been proven to consistently oppress its adherents. What is wrong with protesting against human rights abuses perpetuated in Islam? If we continue to placate these sorry excuses of human beings by tiptoe'ing around what might offend them, then we are complicit in their vile acts. They threaten violence to get their way and terrorize people into submission, and as evidenced by this thread, it's working on some. No thank you. I'll have no part of that.
I call BS. What makes you think this pastor was doing this to make the world a better place? Is it his erudite interviews? tee hee

Old 04-03-2011, 03:38 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
worthy of murder??????
You are evading the question. Do you consider publicizing the burning of a Koran an insult to Muslims or not?

Old 04-03-2011, 03:44 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms

Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
(a) freedom of conscience and religion;
(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and
(d) freedom of association.

no matter what these are these very freedoms and rights I would fight for and they are the same as the U.S. and most of the EU.

so just like in WW2 when our very freedoms and rights are at risk we fight to make sure we do not lose them. this is what the westren world is about being free and not letting some people that kill innocent people try to tell us what to do or what to say because we express those very freedoms we fought for.

even if it was a stupid thing to do we still are free to say stupid things thats part of living in the free world.
so keep on rocking in the free world!

YouTube - Neil Young - Rockin' In The Free World

Old 04-03-2011, 03:52 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Exercising his "freedom of expression" led directly to the murders of innocent people half way around the world. There is a thread that connects the burning of the Koran with the violence and the murders in Afghanistan. There is no getting away from it. Actions have consequences.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:53 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
You are evading the question. Do you consider publicizing the burning of a Koran an insult to Muslims or not?
So it's perfectly fine to insult Christians but not Muslims. Difference is Christians aren't beheading people for insults against their religion while Muslims do.

Every time one of you attack the pastor for burning the book, you're justifying the murders Muslims committed with the excuse of the book burning.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:57 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Exercising his "freedom of expression" led directly to the murders of innocent people half way around the world. There is a thread that connects the burning of the Koran with the violence and the murders in Afghanistan. There is no getting away from it. Actions have consequences.
So Muslims are justified in their murdering of people in protest of the book burning because actions have consequences? I'll remember that next time I see a liberal burning an American flag. I'll be sure to tell the judge, "judge, actions have consequences".

Old 04-03-2011, 03:58 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnderMyKilt View Post
I've simply applied your fallacious thinking to the subject of rape to demonstrate that it doesn't stand up to logical stress.

Burning a book is "unfair ideological war"? That's how you characterize a match between one guy in Gainsville, FL vs. 1.5 Billion Muslims?

Your statement above demonstrates exactly why extreme Islamists deserve to be insulted. You know one can burn a Bible in front of a church, a rainbow flag at a gay pride parade or a Packers jersey in Green Bay without fear of having your entire family torched. For some reason, their moon god is too thin skinned to allow such things to happen without deadly retribution.

And Islamists don't murder because of power issues?

The comparison holds. An Islamist will kill the kuffar for any perceived insult to Islam, including burning a Koran, not wearing a veil, or simply not being a Muslim.

On that point we're agreed. And I'm sure nearly every Egyptian Copt, Pakistani Catholic and Iranian Baha'i would also concur. Nobody's innocent, but everyone is entitled to demonstrate an opinion without being beheaded. If you want to pick at the problem of "unfair ideological war", this pastor is insignificant. Start with the jealous, retrograde Islamists you regard with such pity.
I never said burning a book is waging ideological war. However, he was not ONLY burning a book. He was demonizing all of Islam including all people who follow that religion. Is that right? I'd say no. That is just like the Afghans who hate ALL Americans and wage war on ALL Americans just because a few soldiers went into their homes and raped / killed their family. Frankly, I think things are much clearer to me than they are to you because I am not biased towards or against anyone. You are certainly of the thought process that all 1.5 billion Muslims are somehow all aligned with the terrorists -- which is patently untrue. Your argument and examples are the ones that are fallacious and I have already dismantled them. Whether you want to listen to logic is your own business.

I'm a Christian but this doesn't disallow me from using logic. I don't regard "retrograde Islamists" with pity either. You are putting words in my mouth at that point. There is obviously more to the story than just one pastor's burning of a stupid book. It more has to do with the untrue idea that all Americans (and UN) are evil because some of our soldiers terrorized/killed civilians. The ones who hate "american/UN invaders" do not realize that the majority of them are in Afghanistan trying to help the overall situation. Much like many "retrograde Americans" do not realize that most Muslims do not want to terrorize and kill us.

Many Christians have killed in modern times for purely ideological reasons. Any form of extremist religion is no different than another. I regard that Pastor as an extremist in his views -- not because he burned a book necessarily -- but in the sum of his hateful actions. If the US was not such an internally civilized society and extremist Christians could have gotten away with killing people of different ideologies, I'm pretty sure it would happen.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:58 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Is being insulted a justifiable reason to murder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies