Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: America should be...
a nation whose citizens look out for one another so that the whole country is strong. 20 40.82%
a nation where each citizen looks out for number one and good luck to everybody else. 0 0%
a nation with a strong, authoritative Federal government that heavily influences our lives. 0 0%
a nation with a weak, non-interventionist Federal government that sticks to the Original Constitutional Plan. 23 46.94%
something completely different from the above options. (Please Elaborate) 6 12.24%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 05:34 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,551,076 times

Advertisements

If you could re-design an "American Socioeconomic Theme" what would it be?

I suggest Constitutional Republic (in practice, not in theory).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 07:11 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,346,742 times
a nation whose citizens look out for one another so that the whole country is strong.

this is how it was in the 1930 depression pre-WW2

nation where each citizen looks out for number one and good luck to everybody else.

this is how it is today as long I got mine.... then it is well too bad for you buddy type attitude.. it is not always that way but alot of the time it is

Old 04-03-2011, 07:30 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,861,588 times
I voted for 4 but it should be a mix of 4 and 1.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:39 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,414,679 times
While I voted for a "weak" government, its not weak. Its still a strong central government making military and regulating interstate commerce.

But the 14th amendment destroyed states rights. Until its repealed, we'll never have a government that follows the constitution.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:42 AM

561 posts, read 506,270 times
America should be...

A nation of individuals who take responsibility for their own success/failure while helping their neighbors (when warranted) and giving back to their communities; and supporting a Federal government that reflects the values of the people and abides by the Constitution.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:45 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,561,856 times
a country that evolves with the ever-changing world situation, keeping in mind our root values: freedom from oppression, honoring individual needs for life, liberty, and happiness.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:47 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,963,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
While I voted for a "weak" government, its not weak. Its still a strong central government making military and regulating interstate commerce.

But the 14th amendment destroyed states rights. Until its repealed, we'll never have a government that follows the constitution.
I agree. The original intent of the federal government was for national defense and foreign affairs. The states handled most aspects of the economy, and the feds handled the sticky issues that involved more than one state, which was its constitutional function of regulating interstate commerce.

With less government interference, number 1 was also true. Nowadays it's who cares, just stick the person on a government program, and let me go watch my boob tube.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:56 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,530,900 times
np[;'
]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I agree. The original intent of the federal government was for national defense and foreign affairs. The states handled most aspects of the economy, and the feds handled the sticky issues that involved more than one state, which was its constitutional function of regulating interstate commerce.

With less government interference, number 1 was also true. Nowadays it's who cares, just stick the person on a government program, and let me go watch my boob tube.
Sorry, but a bit more American history is in order. The Articles of Confederation had a weak central govt. It did not work and it was replaced with the Constitution. Our first President, believed in a strong Federal govt. Look at the history of the Washington Administration - nationalization of the lighthouses, regulation of trade internally and externally, Federal troops - with him at the head of them, - enforcing tax collection, a national bank (precurser of the Federal Reserve) and on and on. Jefferson became his bitter foe because of this - yet even Jefferson recognized the need when he purchased Louisiana illegally from the French. From the beginning the Federal govt. was involved in American business, protecting it with high tarriffs which were focused on favoring one economic interest over another - hardly laissez-faire, and the tarriffs changed with who was in the White House. With Marshall, the Supreme Court became a power far beyond what anyone thought it would be. They were designing a strong central govt. and the clincher was the nullificaiton crisis where a states right President and slave holder recognized the need for a strong central govt.

I would suggest reading the Federalist Papers for a start.

Last edited by newhandle; 04-03-2011 at 08:16 AM..

Old 04-03-2011, 08:08 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,414,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
np[;'
]

Sorry, but a bit more American history is in order. The Articles of Confederation had a weak central govt. It did not work and it was replaced with the Constitution. Our first President, believed in a strong Federal govt. Look at the history of the Washington Administration - nationalization of the lighthouses, regulation of trade internally and externally, Federal troops - with him at the head of them, - enforcing tax collection, a national bank (precurser of the Federal Reserve) and on and on. Jefferson became his bitter foe because of this - yet even Jefferson recognized the need when he purchased Louisiana illegally from the French.

I would suggest reading the Federalist Papers for a start.
Yes, but they also believed in states rights also.

We had to have a strong federal government because states were declaring war on states, coining their own money, and the confederated government couldn't raise an army as needed.

Thats the history of the reasons why our first government failed.

The strong central government formed under the constitution had a limited set of powers.

Thats why the 10th amendment was forced by many to be added. Any power not explicitly given to the federal government was given to the states.

But with the 14th amendment, an amendment passed to justify the civil war after the fact, that destroyed the 10th, and ended states rights as the founders understood it.

A federal government should be able to

Tax to raise an army.

Declare war.

Coin money.

Regulate interstate commerce.

Protect the rights of citizens to the freedom to vote.

Ensure the general welfare (you know, by things like the USDA that make food safe).

But invading countries because we don't like what their dictator is doing is wrong.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:18 AM

8,428 posts, read 7,436,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
But the 14th amendment destroyed states rights.
I've seen you make this statement on several threads. I've never understood it.

This is the 14th Amendment to the Constitution:

Quote:
Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Section 2. Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.

Section 3. No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may, by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

Section 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

Section 5. The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.
Now I've looked here and honestly can't find where states rights were destroyed. But maybe I'm missing something...exactly where in the above text are states' rights destroyed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies