Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:08 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times

Advertisements

If the Democrats did their job and passed this budget before the last election they would not be whining like biaches now IMO.
Instead they want to politically benefit from abdicating last years obligations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 01:49 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Oh, I don't know, maybe for the same reason that Catholic Charities, The Salvation Army, Lutheran Family Services, and literally HUNDREDS of other faith-based charities have been funded by taxes?
"The March, 2004, issue of Church and State reports that the "Faith Czar" Jim Towey announced to reporters that $40 billion dollars was now available to religious charities."

Faith Base Initiative
OMG, you mean Bush had CZARS in his administration?? And none of the rightwingers were HYSTERICAL about their existence, let alone that they were funneling BILLIONS OF TAX DOLLARS to religious charities?

Will wonders never cease.

But G-d forbid $300 million goes to poor women and men who need reproductive healthcare. No way. We can't have that now, can we?

I wasn't making a statement. I really didn't know the answer to my question. If you started an organization tomorrow, that does exactly the same activities as Planned Parenthood, would you also get federal funding? If the answer is "yes" then the point would be then what's to stop Plan Parenthood from opening under a different name making the law to defund "them" pointless.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:15 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

I wasn't making a statement. I really didn't know the answer to my question. If you started an organization tomorrow, that does exactly the same activities as Planned Parenthood, would you also get federal funding? If the answer is "yes" then the point would be then what's to stop Plan Parenthood from opening under a different name making the law to defund "them" pointless.
Because 1) there is enormous value in name recognition when you are a charitable organization, and 2) if the government were to vote to stop funding them under their current name, they certainly wouldn't qualify for new funding while doing the same work under a different name. I should think this would be obvious.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:02 AM

446 posts, read 649,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Half of America feels that abortion is murder and we don't want our taxpayer funds going towards murder. If these dems and Neo Progs in general are so pro abortion, let them pay for it through their donations; win/win.
Two words: HYDE AMENDMENT! Federal funds are not used for abortions, PERIOD.

Also: I am sick of people assuming PP is all about abortion. They provide a lot of general healthcare services to the poor and also help with birth control--you know, that thing that prevents a fetus from being created for y'all conservatives to mourn over. Good for the Dems to stand up for these services that the Republicans want to cut. Shows once again the Reps don't give a rat's about the lower classes.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:50 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Abortion services are about 2-3% of what Planned Parenthood offers and those funds are separate from the government funds as per title X funding rules.

Those against it goes way beyond the 41, and also includes Republicans.

Murkowski, Collins, Snowe, Brown and hell even Thad Cochran are on record opposing the Planned Parenthood cuts
And that's the rub, isn't it? Whether PP provides abortions is not the real issue. Rather, the real issue, which even some Republicans can't seem to grasp, is that Congressmen and Congresswomen are not empowered by the Constitution to use federal tax dollars to fund their pet hobbyhorses. I don't care if it's PP or ethanol or the arts or NPR--you name it. It is unconstitutional, pure and simple. You want these things? Then take up a collection and pay for it. Don't use the coercive power of the state for your own purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies