Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 12:53 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times

Advertisements

the study was produced by a right wing anti immigration think tank. I would think their estimate would be inflated. Just pointing out that their estimate is FAR lower than the number you picked out of the air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
You have been knocking the study throughout the thread yet somehow now decide to use them.

You say illegals don't have access to the freebees yet a highly visible case in point is Obama's aunt being allowed to stay here and live in government housing. Are you saying she is the only illegal allowed because her nephew is the President?
don't know and don't care about Obama's aunt. Not sure what her status is, but I doubt it is what you claim. She probably has some type of legal status.
Quote:

Are you saying that household that contain illegals should not fall into the illegal category because they have an anchor baby and that legitimizes the entire family?
the study didn't quantify how many legals and illegals were in a household, there could be 20 legals with one illegal, and they counted it as an illegal household.
Quote:

You have been shown the stats of the money leaving this country yearly.
WRONG, I have been show INFLOW of migrant money into Mexico from ALL other countries from ALL immigrants, illegal AND legal.
Quote:
And you want to argue that entitlements are such a small percentage of what we spend. At what point does it become obvious what the true costs are? Considering a great number of illegals still don't feel like a protected class in this country (although they most definitely are becoming protected) it is difficult to come up with hard and fast numbers.

Big business gains by the use of illegals and they not only get to lower the cost of wages but pass the burden on to the tax payers by subsidizing wages with entitlements.
I have seen figures that suggest the ILLEGAL pay as much as $7 billion in Federal taxes AND $7 billion in FICA taxes that does not get created to them because they use fake SS numbers.
Quote:
Citizens of this country get the benefit of not only working for less pay but paying for the entitlements of those creating the problem.

You argue
Please, don't put words in my mouth, never said that
Quote:
that this keeps goods and services cheaper in this country...which ones are those? I haven't seen prices going down.

The middle class is disappearing in the US because we are taking the poverty stricken from other countries and creating greater poverty here in exchange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 12:59 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
fraud, stealing someone's identity, mistake, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Why illegals are receiving welfare at all is a huge glaring question. And why do they accept people for immigration when they have not shown they have funds to sustain themselves? When we immigrated we had to show that we had significant financial means. What is up with this lameness. They should have a period of time when they don't allow immigrants to receive benefits -- oh say 10 years.
10 year thing you refer to may be SS benefits, after they are legal and have earned the required quarter credits they can apply for SS benefits like anyone else.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:07 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akama13 View Post
So you don't see any responsibility on the employer's side? Interesting.

I did not even address that part of the problem but, I'll answer your question any way. Of course I blame the employers and corporations. They are the ones making the money hand over fist. That being said, I must put 90% of the blame on BOTH POLITICAL PARTIES since they are the ones who REFUSE to enforce the laws of this country. Both parties are catering to those who pads their pockets, the common American be damned since they can not afford lobbyists!

Old 04-08-2011, 01:10 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
When will people wake up and realize we can't keep doing this anymore?
As long as they vote Lib/Dem....it will never end!

Old 04-08-2011, 01:12 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
As long as they vote Lib/Dem....it will never end!
More left right BS This is what they thrive on...

Old 04-08-2011, 01:17 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akama13 View Post
So you don't see any responsibility on the employer's side? Interesting.
I think it SHOULD be all the employer's responsibility. If there were no more jobs, and no more welfare, the illegals would all be gone.

BUT what is an employer to do? The potential worker has what appears to be legit paperwork. Is the employer supposed to question that? If they did, there would be shrieking about bigotry. They really can't win.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:55 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Why illegals are receiving welfare at all is a huge glaring question. And why do they accept people for immigration when they have not shown they have funds to sustain themselves? When we immigrated we had to show that we had significant financial means. What is up with this lameness. They should have a period of time when they don't allow immigrants to receive benefits -- oh say 10 years.
All great questions.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:06 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Tell just how was this survey conducted? Did CIS ask people if the were illegal and if they go aid? And they all answered honestly?
All this was explained clearly in the link.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:13 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I think it SHOULD be all the employer's responsibility. If there were no more jobs, and no more welfare, the illegals would all be gone.

BUT what is an employer to do? The potential worker has what appears to be legit paperwork. Is the employer supposed to question that? If they did, there would be shrieking about bigotry. They really can't win.

What about drug smuggling and human trafficking?

Old 04-08-2011, 05:19 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
This probably only applies to illegal immigrants, if that source is correct in the first place. Center for Immigration Studies seems to be a very dubious organization with its own anti-immigrant agenda.
Immigrants as the scapegoats for American failures, what else is new...
Many of our immigrants are chain migrants from poor countries. That's what happens when your immigration system places more emphasize on family. Our immigration system will give a poor uneducated Filipino priority over an Indian Ph.D. because the Filipino is related to a permanent resident or US citizen, while the Indian is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies