Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:05 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,506,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
No, neither of you have to. You can both find ways to cut costs in other areas, allowing you to continue selling at pre-tax increase prices without decreasing profits. Outsourcing is one way (the WORST way) to do that. I would prefer to see businesses decrease or eliminate executive perks and bonuses before they resort to outsourcing. But, there are other ways to reduce costs. It's only a matter of how creative the business owner is.
That may very well be true with big businesses, but smaller businesses are run much more efficient and have little or no waste, and small businesses are the vast majority. My biggest expense is payroll, so when revenue is unpredictable or lower than expected, the first thing that gets cut is payroll. As much as I would love to increase my rates, they have to stay competitive or I will lose even more revenue in the long term.

As far as other expenses are concerned, I only purchase what is absolutely necessary. In many cases I am reimbursed for that expense by the client. In the vast majority of the cases, those expenses are tax deductible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 09:10 AM

401 posts, read 474,511 times
The problem with this, is the shutdown, even if it was to take place, is over such a trivial amount, that it doesnt even begin to bring attention to the real problems this nation faces. Lets be real, $30B, $60B, what the hells the difference when the deficit is what, $15Trillion? The sum is an embarrassment on both sides, and if you are going to moan and groan about your husband getting his paycheck a few weeks late over $30B, I cant imagine what you are going to do when the real issues facing the deficit begin to get discussed.. You know, that $15T debt that keeps compiling interest...[/quote]

My point EXACTLY. Harry Reid is acting like the world is coming to an end. The compromise on the democratic side is nearly a flie's fart and completely insignificant. On the other hand, the Republicans are playing the game (and creating an illusion) that there is a "fight" for fiscal responsibility.

My point is that Harry is doing exactly what I expected but I expected a lot more from the republicans in terms of a reform. My fear is that the republicans will cave and I dont hear any of them calling Harry and his blind followers for what they are...a bunch of drama queens/kings.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:20 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,252,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
??? TARP was under bush.
Yes.. I know.. TARP returned a profit to the taxpayers as well.. I said that.. try to follow along
Quote:
The 858 billion was from forcing through extending the proven failed tax cuts for the rich.
I find it so hard to listen to someone who believes the crap you just keyed
1) $858B in tax cuts is NOT spending..
2) Obama SIGNED the bill..
3) You liberals all cheered tax cuts in the stimulus bill, proclaiming tax cuts spurred the economy, but now you are criticizing the very same thing..
4) It was tax cuts FOR EVERYONE.. The fact that those who earned the most, got the largest tax cut is basic 2nd grade math.
Quote:
The stimulus spending was needed and financial advisers from both sides have stated this.
The CBO reports indicate the stimulus had negative consequences a few years out. Guess what, we are a few years out.. Did you think time wasnt going to move?
Quote:
Most say the stimulus spending was far too little and should have been much more.
No.. only far left wing kooks say that...
Quote:
Even in that case the stimulus spending did work to stop the massive hemorrhaging and there's no denying that.
LIE.. Unemployment rate on 2/2009 was 8.9% when Obama signed the stimulus bill into law.. Unemployment continued to rise FOR A WHOLE YEAR going up to 10.6%, and is STILL higher now than it was when he signed the bill...

Old 04-07-2011, 10:18 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,076,278 times
Quote:
No, neither of you have to. You can both find ways to cut costs in other areas, allowing you to continue selling at pre-tax increase prices without decreasing profits. Outsourcing is one way (the WORST way) to do that. I would prefer to see businesses decrease or eliminate executive perks and bonuses before they resort to outsourcing. But, there are other ways to reduce costs. It's only a matter of how creative the business owner is.

Since you have it all figured out, perhaps you should consider a career in consulting. Would you care to share your knowledge of cost cutting tips?

Old 04-07-2011, 10:34 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,333,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Since you have it all figured out, perhaps you should consider a career in consulting. Would you care to share your knowledge of cost cutting tips?
Absolutely. For a fee, of course. And, since these things must be taken on a case by case basis, you'll need to fly me, first class, to your business so I can put together a workable plan.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 AM

39,920 posts, read 26,621,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I'd suggest he start an actual manufacturing business, where he can put his theories to the test and not hurt anyone else. Consultants "sell" all kinds of crap that hurts many businesses.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:08 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,733,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
None of those presidents sent our troops to war without Congrssional approval.

Only legal precedent that matters is what the Constitution says.
Haha. You would do well to educate yourself before responding in the future. Presidents have a window of time before they need to inform Congress and then another before they need formal approval to continue a military operation.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:46 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,506,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Haha. You would do well to educate yourself before responding in the future. Presidents have a window of time before they need to inform Congress and then another before they need formal approval to continue a military operation.
That is only true when the US has been attacked, or if there is an "eminent threat" to the US. Neither were true in the case of Libya. Obama overstepped his constitutional authority by involving US troops in yet another foreign war without prior congressional approval.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'd suggest he start an actual manufacturing business, where he can put his theories to the test and not hurt anyone else. Consultants "sell" all kinds of crap that hurts many businesses.
He's selling something all right.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. For a fee, of course. And, since these things must be taken on a case by case basis, you'll need to fly me, first class, to your business so I can put together a workable plan.

I assume you can provide references. Since you require far more than any efficiency expert I've yet to encounter, you must have a remarkable portfolio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies