Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:57 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Then there was no reason to pass the War Powers Resolution, if what you claim is true.

But what you claim is not true.
Actually there was a need to pass the Wars Powers Resolution act.. The Constitution authorizes the President to be the commander in chief, but it doesnt authorize paying for those expenses..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 08:15 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So you are telling me that increased taxes doesnt increase the prices of items, because prices change..

Sorry, the math doesnt work out on that one.. I suggest you take an elementary business class
It probably increases them at first for a very short while, but then a competitor beats their price and all prices then go back down.

Business classes and real world price competition are not even close to the same thing.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:26 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It probably increases them at first for a very short while, but then a competitor beats their price and all prices then go back down.

Business classes and real world price competition are not even close to the same thing.

Businesses exist to profit. Business may provide public value but it's not a public service. Business cannot operate at loss for any length of time. Business must at the very least earn enough to meet expenses. Taxes are expenses. It really is that simple.

The only competitors who can beat the price of taxpaying companies are foreign companies who are not subject to the same operating expenses. That's why the keyboard you are typing on was made anywhere but here.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:28 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
What a sad state the politics of this country are in when any compromise is taken as weakness.
On November 10, 2010 Rep. Boehner promised "no compromise" on extending the 2001 tax cuts, yet gave Democrats $120 billion in new spending just three weeks later for their vote. That is almost double the $61 billion Boehner is now asking for in budget cuts.

So not only is Boehner a liar, he has already compromised by putting us even further in debt.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post

If I'm competing against the business next door, we BOTH have to raise our prices to pay the tax.. If I'm competing against the guy in China, I have to now outsource my jobs to a country with lower wages, thereby decreasing the tax base. How is either one of these positive?

Old 04-07-2011, 08:40 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
On November 10, 2010 Rep. Boehner promised "no compromise" on extending the 2001 tax cuts, yet gave Democrats $120 billion in new spending just three weeks later for their vote. That is almost double the $61 billion Boehner is now asking for in budget cuts.

So not only is Boehner a liar, he has already compromised by putting us even further in debt.
The republicans forced through 858 billion in spending again the wishes of the democrats and the american people. The 120 billion is a drop in the bucket compared to the insane republican spending. Boehner is a liar I agree, everyone is on board to bring out the chainsaw to spending but the right are refusing to make any real cut.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The republicans forced through 858 billion in spending again the wishes of the democrats and the american people. The 120 billion is a drop in the bucket compared to the insane republican spending. Boehner is a liar I agree, everyone is on board to bring out the chainsaw to spending but the right are refusing to make any real cut.
What $858B in spending? You mean the money that was loaned to TARP but returned a PROFIT?

You dont know the difference between a loan, and spending like the Obama stimulus bill, or do you know the different but think government spending is good, provided its a Democrat spending, so you have to lie about spending the Republicans did? Btw, want to tell me where Obama voted on that spending? I believe he voted YES....

Old 04-07-2011, 08:47 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Perhaps you are new to politics, jaydog, but governance is ruled by compromise. The Democrats hold the Senate and Executive Office, Republicans only the House. Therefore, it is logical that final budget would reflect a balance of their values.

Democrats want to cut $33 billion. Republicans want to cut over $60 billion. There's room for compromise in between.
When we are running a defecit of over a trillion per year? I agree, combine the cuts both parties are proposing, that totals $93 billion. Then compromise between there and the real problem, one trillion plus. Both parties are trying to put on a show but doing nothing meaningful about restraining spending.

The only positive note is for the first time in years, perhaps decades, is that congress is at least talking about cutting spending. The TEA party is having an impact. Perhaps a small one, but an impact.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:54 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
If I'm competing against the business next door, we BOTH have to raise our prices to pay the tax.. If I'm competing against the guy in China, I have to now outsource my jobs to a country with lower wages, thereby decreasing the tax base. How is either one of these positive?
No, neither of you have to. You can both find ways to cut costs in other areas, allowing you to continue selling at pre-tax increase prices without decreasing profits. Outsourcing is one way (the WORST way) to do that. I would prefer to see businesses decrease or eliminate executive perks and bonuses before they resort to outsourcing. But, there are other ways to reduce costs. It's only a matter of how creative the business owner is.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:59 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Quote:
What $858B in spending? You mean the money that was loaned to TARP but returned a PROFIT?
??? TARP was under bush. The 858 billion was from forcing through extending the proven failed tax cuts for the rich.

Quote:
You dont know the difference between a loan, and spending like the Obama stimulus bill, or do you know the different but think government spending is good, provided its a Democrat spending, so you have to lie about spending the Republicans did? Btw, want to tell me where Obama voted on that spending? I believe he voted YES....
The stimulus spending was needed and financial advisers from both sides have stated this. Most say the stimulus spending was far too little and should have been much more. Even in that case the stimulus spending did work to stop the massive hemorrhaging and there's no denying that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies