Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 09:50 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,180,561 times

Advertisements

I hear folks say this all of the time. It's mainly yuppie blacks and yuppie whites.

Usually these groups live around other people just like them. The yuppie whites live around yuppie whites and the blacks around yuppie blacks.

I'll bet you'll start to care when "your groups" neighborhood start's to get a high influx of another ethnic group/race.

You'll care than.

Usually the yuppies say this, more than like likely it's work worked related.

Yuppies lie to themselves to make themselves feel better. Have you ever watched blacks and whites try to appease to each other....they are trying to convince themselves or someone that they are not prejudice.

I see it all the time in office work environment.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:58 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
I don't care about race. What I care about is similar values and whether or not I can relate to you and your values and your experiences. Yes, it's considerably more likely to happen with white people than black people, and yes I will make certain assumptions about how likely we are to "jibe" based on previous experience and interactions with black people before getting a chance to know you better.

But if we see eye-to-eye and we grew up with similar experiences and we have similar values and life philosophies and all that... then I don't care about your race. If you're black and it could be said by other blacks that you "act white," that probably improves the chances chances that you and I will get on well.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
I really don't care about his race. I care about his lack of concern for the American people period.

Now he's trotting around doing the bidding of the Central American leaders who just commanded him to get something done about immigration because they want to dump their unwanted masses into this country and that's all he's doing. Never mind the unemployed Americans. He could not care less.

Just like he's doing nothing for the tornado victims. He's a globalist plain and simple and he's catering to his corporate masters.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:01 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I hear folks say this all of the time. It's mainly yuppie blacks and yuppie whites.

Usually these groups live around other people just like them. The yuppie whites live around yuppie whites and the blacks around yuppie blacks.

I'll bet you'll start to care when "your groups" neighborhood start's to get a high influx of another ethnic group/race.

You'll care than.

Usually the yuppies say this, more than like likely it's work worked related.

Yuppies lie to themselves to make themselves feel better. Have you ever watched blacks and whites try to appease to each other....they are trying to convince themselves or someone that they are not prejudice.

I see it all the time in office work environment.
while you are right in regards to most people, there are many of us that really DONT care about race. many years ago i did care, but i have since learned that skin color means absolutely NOTHING when it comes to character.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:04 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
In fact I voted for Alan Keyes. That's how little I care about race. He wasn't just a half black either. And he was a descendent of American slaves, not some privileged African elite.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:11 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,158 times
Absolutely this is true. I don't care what your "values," thoughts, or opinions are about yourself or others. Here is a simple fact:

No matter what race you are, you walk down the street and see 3-4 black males, no matter what their ages are, walking toward you, they are dressed like "thugs," you WILL: Cross the street, or hold your wallet, or purse tighter, pull your kids closer, pay more attention, etc. If those were white kids, you probably wouldn't. Anyone who says different are liars or fooling themselves.

I do it and I'm a black man.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:14 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,688,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Absolutely this is true. I don't care what your "values," thoughts, or opinions are about yourself or others. Here is a simple fact:

No matter what race you are, you walk down the street and see 3-4 black males, no matter what their ages are, walking toward you, they are dressed like "thugs," you WILL: Cross the street, or hold your wallet, or purse tighter, pull your kids closer, pay more attention, etc. If those were white kids, you probably wouldn't. Anyone who says different are liars or fooling themselves.

Yep, but for me it's not necessarily because they're black but because the majority of crimes around here are committed by... wait for it... male minority youth. If the majority of crimes were committed by male white youth, then I'd be more wary of roving groups of them. And believe me, in many parts of the country, they are.

I'd like to know what you mean by "caring about race" though, Ron. I don't care in the sense that I will not pass judgment on someone simply because of their race. If a person proves to have the qualities I like in a friend, coworker, etc then I'd be glad to call them that, regardless of skin color.

e: In regards to the "influx of ethnics" into my neighborhood, again I would not necessarily mind. If they act according to stereotypes (and this holds true for whites; I wouldn't want a bunch of low-class racist rednecks moving in to my neighborhood) then yeah I'd have a problem.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:18 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post

You know what? If they dress the part, I'm going to assume they play the part until I have reason to believe otherwise. Now, take those same four black males and put them in suits. Are you still gonna cross the street? I'm not.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:24 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,744 times
Lol. I can't tell you how many times I've heard this phrase come out of someone's mouth five minutes before they made some racist comment. No one is color-blind, not even blind people. I know someone who is white, totally blind and married to a black woman, and I've even heard racist BS from him.

Even when you're blind yourself, you see race through other people's statements. I always knew my wife was dark-skinned even when I was totally blind myself because people called her black. In other words, even if you try to be color-blind, it doesn't last very long because there's always someone right there ready to insert color back into everything for you.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:27 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
How can we not care???

That is something we hear about every day.

It is sicking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies