Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 07:35 PM

937 posts, read 1,134,563 times

Advertisements

In the below clip, Anderson Cooper details the results of a study commissioned by AC360° to explore children's perception of race. Part I of the "Kids on Race: The Hidden Picture" series, takes an in-depth look at how young children interpret ambiguous racial drawings. The findings are rather interesting. The AC360 study found that white children are far more likely to have a negative perception about racial interactions, than black children. Why do you suppose this is the case?

Is it simply a matter of children learning directly from their parents and community to have a negative perception about others due to skin color? I find it sad that children are learning destructive beliefs about others, at such a young age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC1nRepRSxo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 07:38 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Next we know they'll say they come out of the womb racist. Nothing new here, just more I'm black woo is me thread.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:40 PM

61 posts, read 41,685 times
If that's the case then it essentially proves that "racism" as we know it in american society is an instinctual reflex and not learned through social interaction.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:42 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Perceptions about race are all about one's interactions with the other race. While parents may be a factor, I think racism simply comes from one's personal experiences, not some preconceived notion put in someone's head. All stereotypes are rooted in a bit of truth. The truth comes out via experience. Eventually, with enough experiences, the totality of the circumstances molds a certain expectation when dealing with other races. How many times must one experience a certain action before it becomes evident that that "must be how they are?"

Old 06-23-2013, 07:43 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,001 times
LOL

HE conducted a biased study and wonders why he got his biased answer.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-24-2013 at 04:02 AM..

Old 06-23-2013, 07:44 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,512,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
In the below clip, Anderson Cooper details the results of a study commissioned by AC360° to explore children's perception of race. Part I of the "Kids on Race: The Hidden Picture" series, takes an in-depth look at how young children interpret ambiguous racial drawings. The findings are rather interesting. The AC360 study found that white children are far more likely to have a negative perception about racial interactions, than black children. Why do you suppose this is the case?

Is it simply a matter of children learning directly from their parents and community to have a negative perception about others due to skin color? I find it sad that children are learning destructive beliefs about others, at such a young age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC1nRepRSxo
I think it's from listening to liberals.

First thing they tell you is blacks aren't smart enough to make it without affirmative action and other government programs.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Doesn't matter.

Kids will form full fledged opinions of their own based on experience.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Well for one thing, kids have to actually be around other races to know they exist. A kid raised in the heart of Kenya or Korea or Austria might never see someone of a different race as a young child. Racism happens in the USA because we have more races here.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:11 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I think it's from listening to liberals.

First thing they tell you is blacks aren't smart enough to make it without affirmative action and other government programs.
They don't mention which states this study is done. Red states are statistically more racist than blue states. Not surprisingly, red states are also poorly educated in comparison to blue states.

I suspect that you'd have different results in a educated metropolitan state than an uneducated midwestern rural state.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:24 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,141 times
Kids pick up on these cues from their elders. We really need to examine our own biases because kids do pick up on it and they react from it.

One of the things they ALWAYS tell us in healthcare is when you're taking care of a kid, you make sure and talk to the parents first and make them feel comfortable because little kids pay attention to their parents and if their parents aren't comfortable, neither will they.

We really need to pay attention to our world. There's quite a few messages out there for kids to pick up on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies