Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2011, 06:23 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times

Advertisements

"A Democratic lawmaker says the White House is “dramatically underestimating” the true cost of the military’s involvement in Libya by relying on accounting that obscures the total financial burden being saddled on taxpayers. Rep. Brad Sherman, a lawyer and accountant, told The Washington Times on Thursday that more accurate accounting of the mission would provide a clearer picture of just how much money the U.S. pours into this and other U.N.-backed missions while putting Congress in a better position to silence critics who say the nation is shortchanging the global body. The Californian also said the cost of the U.S. involvement in Libya should be covered with the estimated $33 billion in Libyan assets that have been frozen by the Treasury Department."

Democrat says Libya costs run much higher - Washington Times

The US Ambassador to the UN, Susan Rice "got testy" over Rep Sherman's claim that the White House is using "marginal-cost accounting" (typically only 10 - 20% of full cost) to lowball the cost of Libya instead of full-cost accounting which would include development of weapons systems and equipment used and salaries of the military involved.

Meanwhile Sec. of Defense Gates says he has enough money but won't say where he's getting it.

I think maybe they're dipping into that Area 51 slush fund money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 06:29 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,947 times
Even Obama's fellow corporate puppets in Congress are turning against him. When you run as the candidate of "Hope and Change," and paint this picture of yourself as a progressive and then turn your back on everything you said, well people get upset. I saw through his song and dance routine the whole time, I don't trust a single candidate the Democratic Party puts up because there always just corporate lackeys.

Though liberals and progressives are upset today, come election time they'll just vote for him again. That's the frustrating part of it all.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:12 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times
the cost of the U.S. involvement in Libya should be covered with the estimated $33 billion in Libyan assets that have been frozen by the Treasury Department

What are we planning to do? The last I heard--UN/US supported sanctions and a 'no fly' zone for Libya.

So we are considering 'feet on the ground'?

I looked for a map of the world yesterday which would show where US troops were engaged in combat. As far as I know--Afghanistan and Iraq? 'Peacekeeping---Korea, Egypt and Africa.

It is not easy to be informed.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:20 AM

45,241 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
the cost of the U.S. involvement in Libya should be covered with the estimated $33 billion in Libyan assets that have been frozen by the Treasury Department

What are we planning to do? The last I heard--UN/US supported sanctions and a 'no fly' zone for Libya.

So we are considering 'feet on the ground'?

I looked for a map of the world yesterday which would show where US troops were engaged in combat. As far as I know--Afghanistan and Iraq? 'Peacekeeping---Korea, Egypt and Africa.

It is not easy to be informed.
We have attacked Libya to protect oil interests and on top of killing Libyan citizens we are now going to steal money from them.
How humanatarian.
Long live Obamas dictatorship!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies