Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:40 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,065,293 times

Advertisements

Because like most liberals, it feels SO good!

Don't blame me....I increased spending (waste) on education (bureaucracy, administrators, preferred vendors, union leaders, etc.) every year.

Meanwhile, teachers and support staff lose their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 08:43 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,768,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Obama wants to grow government, and in particular Federal Government, as big as possible. He wants to consolidate all power in Washington at the expense of state and local governments.

He believes the Federal Government should tell us how to live our lives and control as much as possible.

So increasing education spending is right up his alley.

More sensational posting.

I have to wonder... do ANY of you have kids/nephews/etc that are in the current education system? Did any of you go to public school here in the last 15 years? If you did, NCLB should be sounding VERY familiar. Its amazing how NONE of the teachers and very few parents supported that bill and yet no one here ever wants to bring that up when it comes to why education has gone down the toilet.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:43 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,760,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
The schools ARE underfunded. @ the OP: Why, of all things, are you not willing to invest in the future of the country?

More money does not necessarily improve education.

And it's all about the federal government getting more control over services that should either be provided by private enterprise, local or state governments.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:44 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,484,713 times
Hussein Obama wants to increase spending because he is a community organizor. Even though investment increases don't effect better learning.

It's the Unions who stand to make financial gains. Obama owes it to them. Plus it is an investment toward his re-election.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
More sensational posting.

I have to wonder... do ANY of you have kids/nephews/etc that are in the current education system? Did any of you go to public school here in the last 15 years? If you did, NCLB should be sounding VERY familiar. Its amazing how NONE of the teachers and very few parents supported that bill and yet no one here ever wants to bring that up when it comes to why education has gone down the toilet.

And yet your post agrees with me. NCLB was a Federal Government program. That is EXACTLY what I am posting about.

The Feds have no business in education. The entire dept of education should be totally shut down.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:50 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,768,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
More money does not necessarily improve education.

And it's all about the federal government getting more control over services that should either be provided by private enterprise, local or state governments.

Who says the federal government should not be involved with education? In my state, a large portion of the kids are only being educated just enough to participate in the entry-level workforce... any kindergarten dreams of being an astronaut/nuclear physicist/etc. get thrown out the window by the time you're in middle school and the kids know it.

And NCLB was a federal program that involved ZERO input from the teachers. That imo is fairly idiotic.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
So he wants to implement a new program..Race to the Top and fund part of it. Will this have unfunded mandates on schools ?

Meanwhile we still have the old program NCLB which contains many unfunded mandates on schools.

Does anyone see a problem with this ?

We're "Racing to the Top" with the bar lowered so that "No Child is Left Behind".

Old 04-11-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Who says the federal government should not be involved with education? .

Me, and millions of others.

I would totally shut down the dept of education.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

We're "Racing to the Top" with the bar lowered so that "No Child is Left Behind".

Now that is the best quote I have seen in a long time.

Do you mind if I use it among my Libertarian friends ?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:56 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,277,617 times
Quote:
The schools ARE underfunded. @ the OP: Why, of all things, are you not willing to invest in the future of the country?
Because MORE MONEY does NOT = Better Education. Read the link. Do your own research. This has been repeatedly shown to be true. I use to think like you. But, if you look at the facts, pumping more money into education does not help our kids. More local, state control is the answer in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies