Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 12:00 PM

146 posts, read 250,391 times

Advertisements

Well I believe it's more a characteristic of the environment they grew up in and a family value. Like religious beliefs. People take these beliefs as a part of their identity. In a way it is if that's what they have been exposed to for so long. Ever since I was first taught about politics I was groomed to view conservatives as racists, elitists, and only concerned with helping the rich and exploiting the poor. Those views held until I was in well in my 20's and started having conservative friends and discussing politics with them (without personal attacks). Although I'm still not a conservative myself I understand their perspectives much better and listen to them as long as their not on the attack. There is no moral or intellectual stigma associated with political philosophies. We all have our fair share of slicksters and morons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 12:04 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,694,121 times
Both of my parents along with the vast, overwhelming majority of my family, are Republican/conservatives. I on the other hand dance in the libertarian liberal area.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:31 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,344,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Both of my parents along with the vast, overwhelming majority of my family, are Republican/conservatives. I on the other hand dance in the libertarian liberal area.
Rebel!

Old 04-17-2011, 09:13 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,477,622 times
I think there is definitely something to this. Political beliefs and ways of seeing things may be partially genetic. There is some research being done at the moment that is exploring the idea that personality in general may be genetic. It proposes that there are 16 genetic personality types, and that other factors like conditioning make us individuals, but that by observing enough people, you can find 16 common threads throughout all people, regardless of cultural background. It also proposes these genetic personality types are associated with specific organs and muscle groups and that stretching these muscle groups can lead to personality transformation.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 04-17-2011 at 09:27 PM..

Old 04-17-2011, 09:22 PM

3,619 posts, read 3,892,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
stretching these muscle groups can lead to personality transformation.
If you believe that stretching certain muscle groups can change personality type, you clearly weren't ever an on/off season athlete. People's personalities didn't change whether or not they were in-season and doing daily stretching. This is so silly.

edit: generally if you split up personality enough ways, you can give people very accurate descriptions of themselves by parroting back their answers in different words. This doesn't really make any specific method valid, but it does sell books.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:27 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,073,085 times
Hotair, if there's any substance to your theory, I'm adopted.

I'm not sure why such courageous leftists would so favor a nanny state. From what I've seen most are co-dependent weaklings who pee down their legs at the prospect of facing the world standing on their own two feet.

As to sleeping with bears; The inability to accurately assess a real and immediate threat is not indicative of courage as much as incognizance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies