Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 08:56 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Agreed, though I have been asked for transcripts, which do show where you took the courses.

BTW, Laura Bush has an MLS (Master's in Library Science).

I wonder if that library had a book about diminishing marginal returns and over education?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 10:50 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You need to learn to read posts "in context" of what they are discussing.
Maybe you don't know but you still need a Bachelor's degree to show companies as well as a Master's if they require it.

What you don't need to show is that 2 year AS/AA degree you got at the CC.

And I didn't say "everyone". The market is saturated with 4 year degrees now and many companies are requesting a Masters.
"Many", not "all".
Lot of folks get their tech degree to get their foot in the IT world. I did back in the day. If you want to move up you need more though. School is an ongoing investment. If your happy where you are then stay there. If you want to move up then you gotta put in the work on the education side. Then you got the cert warriors who have cisco and microsoft certs out the ying yang but can't even figure out how to crack open a box. lol

Old 01-05-2012, 10:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Lot of folks get their tech degree to get their foot in the IT world. I did back in the day. If you want to move up you need more though. School is an ongoing investment. If your happy where you are then stay there. If you want to move up then you gotta put in the work on the education side. Then you got the cert warriors who have cisco and microsoft certs out the ying yang but can't even figure out how to crack open a box. lol
Certs are a dime a dozen. Pay some money, memorize and pass.

Just because you have a piece of paper doesn't necessarily mean you know what you're doing.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:39 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,116,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
I actually wish that people were also encouraged to pursue more "blue collar" careers that can actually be very lucrative and rewarding. Too many people are following the herd and getting business degrees, only to find they end up competing against 100 others for the same $12 an hour accounts payable position.
I agree. And those jobs can pay well when you put your time in.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:01 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You can't have both although the government has tried.
Now we have college graduates who have mountains of debt, obscure majors and cannot find jobs or are finding jobs that didn't need college to begin with.
Everyone's a winner. And now the top companies want an Masters degree because of the saturation of 4 year degrees.

Yeah..these kids are so much better off today aren't they ?
Most would agree that kids were better off in the old days

Most of these college graduates are also clueless about life.... much more so than past generations

Old 01-06-2012, 02:41 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,786,417 times
Maybe the cost of getting an education through student loans and kids being saddled with such high student loans wouldn't be the case if the government tracked down those who defaulted in the past? Is the outstanding $1 Trillon federal? Does it also reflect private student loans? More than likely student loans exceed credit card debt because people aren't using credit cards so easily by choice, maxed out, or cancelled, and are learning to wait or do without until they have the cash.

Quote:
Federal student loan debt outstanding reached approximately $665 billion and private student loan debt reached approximately $168 billion in June 2010, for a total student loan debt outstanding of $833 billion. Total student loan debt is increasing at a rate of about $2,853.88 per second.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/09/student-loan-debt-outpace_n_676044.html

Righteous upstanding politician:
[LEFT]
Quote:
A federal judge has unsealed an order that directs a D.C. councilmember to pay back his outstanding student loan debt.

Attorneys for Councilmember Harry Thomas Jr.[51 years old] had tried to keep the order under seal, arguing that it would hurt his reputation as he faces other legal problems. Thomas is the subject of a federal probe for allegedly diverting more than $300,000 in city funds for personal use. FBI and IRS agents raided his house last month.

Thomas agreed last month to pay back the unpaid student loans, but the amount was not made public until the order was unsealed Tuesday. He will pay back $17,277 in principal, interest, penalties and fees in monthly installments of $494.96. That would allow him to pay the full amount in just under three years.
Read more at the Washington Examiner: Councilmember to repay $17K in student loan debt | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/news/2012/01/councilmember-repay-17k-student-loan-debt/2057546?page=0%2C0%2C0%2C1#ixzz1ifGkyak2 - broken link)

There are many who took out loans and never got a degree. I guess no degree equates to not having to pay back the loan?

Default rate beginning 1987 (Generation Y) - see link below.

This ends up to be quite a bit of change that people owed and walked away from. If today the IRS finds that you owe $10 from 1995 and you changed jobs 5 times, changed your last name (once in the case of women who married (maybe twice?) and relocated 4 times, the IRS will find you because it wants its $10 and probably the $2,500 interest on that $10. What is it that everyone has that a government agency can track? A social security number. Maybe banks and government should set up departments specifically to track down defaulters. Oh, wait. The government has that - it's called the IRS - create a section specifically to do this. Oh, wait again. Banks already have that - a credit collection department. When someone fails to pay their credit card they go after them and make your life miserable and will even bring you to court to collect that $150 outstanding balance - plus interest and whatever other fees they tack on.

Would collecting this outstanding money make an impact on future student loans? Slow down the rising costs of student loans for a while? The fact remains is that it is loan, not charity.

Graph of National Student Loan Default Rates

[/LEFT]

Old 01-06-2012, 02:47 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,786,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
I actually wish that people were also encouraged to pursue more "blue collar" careers that can actually be very lucrative and rewarding. Too many people are following the herd and getting business degrees, only to find they end up competing against 100 others for the same $12 an hour accounts payable position.
Did you drop a zero??

Old 01-06-2012, 03:29 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,864,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Then you got the cert warriors who have cisco and microsoft certs out the ying yang but can't even figure out how to crack open a box. lol
Hey man I'm a cert warrior (simpler stuff than CCNA even) and I know more about computers than the average college grad. Certs are where it's at right now.

But yes, you do need to know what you're doing.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:57 AM

5,663 posts, read 5,092,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
My daughter is holding $70k plus in student debt for her two master degrees and now working on a PHD at the University of South Fla. She is always scrambling to pay her living costs. She digitizes old documents as one self employment job. She grades papers and even lectures at times. She has dozen or more fill in jobs when she has time. She has been struggling like that for years. Hardly the carefree life you describe.
She sounds like a professional student. What is she ever going to do with all of that education? Enter academia and add to the problem? When is she going to get experience to back up those degrees? What is her field of expertise? Something practical like engineering? Or Art History?

FWIW, I'm at a similar level (considering the Ph.D. but if I do my employer will pay for it) and have been working in the real world for decades.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:46 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
Glasvegas
I actually wish that people were also encouraged to pursue more "blue collar" careers that can actually be very lucrative and rewarding. Too many people are following the herd and getting business degrees, only to find they end up competing against 100 others for the same $12 an hour accounts payable position. "

Why? You do realize the blue collar jobs have very low ceilings, automation reduces the quantity annually, so what one enters as ..if lucky.one can stay at. The clerical spot you diss, well, in 5 years, that person is at minimum Senior Staff level in most cases, at 3 times the pay, and Controller or CFO at six figures inside 10-15 years.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies