Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 04:17 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,965,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
but forget the first...
The first Amendment does not cover treason or incitement of violence. Teaching "about" something from a historical perspective is quite different than pushing a current political agenda to overthrow part of the USA in public school classrooms. Do you really not see the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 04:31 PM

313 posts, read 284,985 times
Kind of funny since the areas that the U.S gained from Mexico had a population of like 50,000... Kind of blows that entire "this is our land" nonsense out the window.

And even if they had those lands, they would probably resemble their current country - ****ty.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:44 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,351,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnyc View Post
Kind of funny since the areas that the U.S gained from Mexico had a population of like 50,000... Kind of blows that entire "this is our land" nonsense out the window.

And even if they had those lands, they would probably resemble their current country - ****ty.
That still outnumbers the non-native (both mexican and indian population) at the time by about 1000 to 1. (and i think that the actual number would be a bit higher then the one you mentioned)

Old 04-14-2011, 09:28 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,158,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The entire purpose of this thread is take a viewpoint that is extreme amongst the many Latino political and social viewpoints and promote it as mainstream Latino thinking. It's really no different than those people that take extremist Islamic rhetoric and promote it as mainstream Muslim thinking.

The only this thread proves is the basis of bigotry is ignorance, fear and hatred.
Ya know, I'd be right there with ya, IF the majority of Hispanic immigrants were coming here LEGALLY, adapting to the US like all the other immigrants have done throughout our history, really working to become legal, productive citizens, and NOT marching in our street DEMANDING "rights" that they aren't entitled to, demanding that the people of the US change our laws, our language, & etc to accommodate them. I personally cannot think of ANY other group of people that are coming here and doing that. Can you?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 PM

532 posts, read 1,056,592 times
Latinos are not a race. The reference to "Latino racism" is therefore inaccurate, since Latinos are an ethno-linguistic group that incorporate multiple races, with most Latinos actually possessing significant racial admixture.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:41 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,683,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Ya know, I'd be right there with ya, IF the majority of Hispanic immigrants were coming here LEGALLY, adapting to the US like all the other immigrants have done throughout our history, really working to become legal, productive citizens, and NOT marching in our street DEMANDING "rights" that they aren't entitled to, demanding that the people of the US change our laws, our language, & etc to accommodate them. I personally cannot think of ANY other group of people that are coming here and doing that. Can you?
Remember if you bring that up, you are nothing but racist.

People cannot take facts. Hispanics are the ones marching on the streets of American cities, burning out flag, stepping over it and demanding that we hand them everything we have.

Take a look at the "Most Wanted Lists" for California, Massachusetts, Texas, among other states and see if you can find a common denominator...

Old 04-14-2011, 09:44 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,812,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
Latinos are not a race. The reference to "Latino racism" is therefore inaccurate, since Latinos are an ethno-linguistic group that incorporate multiple races, with most Latinos actually possessing significant racial admixture.

Mebbie so, but they did name their organization "The Race."

Old 04-14-2011, 10:18 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,158,896 times
You know, it might be different if the invasion was from a culture that actually has made some awesome contributions to the world. If there were a bunch of people trying to convert America to their way of life, that had made significant contributions in the way of science, art, literature, medicine, etc., I would feel different. However, that isn't the case. I just don't see why Americans should abandon their way of life, all we have accomplished, & let Mexico take over. And if you don't think that's what they want, you are blind. Again, I haven't seen ANY OTHER NATIONALITY changing the language,culture,etc. They ALL become Americans. That's how we have done it for all these years, it's the Melting Pot: all others become UNITED. I have NEVER seen Chinese, German, Korean, Japanese, African, Indian, French, etc, etc, signs in Kansas, nor have I had to learn their languages to get a job in The United States! This is the first country to come here (illegally) & try to divide us. And it's costing this nation dearly. Why is this called "racism", to say that ALL OTHER NATIONALITIES aren't trying to TAKE OVER THE US????

Old 04-14-2011, 10:21 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,301,032 times
I believe this thread is a classic example or race baiting

Race baiting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-15-2011, 08:19 AM

532 posts, read 1,056,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Mebbie so, but they did name their organization "The Race."
The National Council of La Raza states an official position that "La Raza" is intended to mean "the people" or "the community."

National Council of La Raza | The Translation of Our Name

Quote:
Many people incorrectly translate our name, “La Raza,” as “the race.” While it is true that one meaning of “raza” in Spanish is indeed “race,” in Spanish, as in English and any other language, words can and do have multiple meanings. As noted in several online dictionaries, “La Raza” means “the people” or “the community.” Translating our name as “the race” is not only inaccurate, it is factually incorrect. “Hispanic” is an ethnicity, not a race. As anyone who has ever met a Dominican American, Mexican American, or Spanish American can attest, Hispanics can be and are members of any and all races.
A translation of "the race" would be incoherent, since there is no Hispanic or Latino "race."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies