Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2007, 04:19 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,327,610 times

Advertisements

"A War We Just Might Win" New York Times July 30, 2007 / Iraqis bask in joy.
http://www.americans-working-together.com/id494.html

This is excellent news for most Iraqis and most Americans. However, this must have many Washington DC politicians extremely upset.

Personally, I feel this is some great news!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 06:32 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,222,412 times
I thought we already won??? I could of swore I saw some dork standing on top of aircraft carrier, standing in front of a sign that said "Mission Accomplished"....America won the war, its the Iraqi's who are losing now...

Old 07-31-2007, 02:45 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,327,610 times
The New York Times
July 30, 2007
Op-Ed Contributor
A War We Just Might Win
By MICHAEL E. O’HANLON and KENNETH M. POLLACK
Washington

VIEWED from Iraq, where we just spent eight days meeting with American and Iraqi military and civilian personnel, the political debate in Washington is surreal. The Bush administration has over four years lost essentially all credibility. Yet now the administration’s critics, in part as a result, seem unaware of the significant changes taking place.

You can read the rest of the article at: "A War We Just Might Win" New York Times July 30, 2007 / Iraqis bask in joy.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:17 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
I thought we already won??? I could of swore I saw some dork standing on top of aircraft carrier, standing in front of a sign that said "Mission Accomplished"....America won the war, its the Iraqi's who are losing now...
Maybe you conveniently forgot this little detail.

Cmdr. Conrad Chun, a Navy spokesman, defended the president's assertion.

"The banner was a Navy idea, the ship's idea," Chun said.

"The banner signified the successful completion of the ship's deployment," he said, noting the Abraham Lincoln was deployed 290 days, longer than any other nuclear-powered aircraft carrier in history.

CNN.com - White House pressed on 'mission accomplished' sign - Oct. 29, 2003

Old 07-31-2007, 03:18 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
Monday July 30, 2007 08:30 EST
The really smart, serious, credible Iraq experts O'Hanlon and Pollack

What is the most vivid and compelling evidence of how broken our political system is? It is that the exact same people who urged us into the war in Iraq, were wrong in everything they said, and issued one false assurance after the next as the war failed, continue to be the same people held up as our Serious Iraq Experts. The exact "experts" to whom we listened in 2002 and 2003 are the same exact establishment "experts" now.

Hence, today we have yet another Op-Ed declaring that We Really Are Winning in Iraq This Time -- this one in the NYT from "liberal" Brookings Institution "scholars" Ken Pollack and Mike O'Hanlon. They accuse war critics of being "unaware of the significant changes taking place," proclaim that "we are finally getting somewhere in Iraq, at least in military terms," and the piece is entitled "A War we Might Just Win."

The Op-Ed is an exercise in rank deceit from the start. To lavish themselves with credibility -- as though they are war skeptics whom you can trust -- they identify themselves at the beginning "as two analysts who have harshly criticized the Bush administration's miserable handling of Iraq." In reality, they were not only among the biggest cheerleaders for the war, but repeatedly praised the Pentagon's strategy in Iraq and continuously assured Americans things were going well. They are among the primary authors and principal deceivers responsible for this disaster.

"Political science opinion, across the left-right spectrum and from all of the different schools of IR resolutely opposed the Iraq War and predicted that it would be a disaster. Rock ribbed realists, liberal institutionalist, and social constructivists disagreed as to why the war would be a disaster, but nevertheless stood against it almost to an individual. I have to wonder whether the continued advocacy of O'Hanlon and Pollack for disastrous policies in a disastrous war has something to do with the need to set themselves apart from the rest of academia, and to point out that they, unlike their Ph.D. holding brethren, have sensible and "serious" attitudes about military action."

-Glenn Greenwald

Because of the size of Greenwald's article, only the opening and his quoting of another comment were posted. The full post is on the link.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:22 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
Quote:
"The banner was a Navy idea, the ship's idea," Chun said.
Ok. Was it the ship's idea to sit off the coast of San Diego for this photo op- I mean important speech that had to be delivered with W landing on the ship that was forced to sit off the coast and have a huge banner that was the "ship's idea, but conveniently located for the camera ....

Old 07-31-2007, 06:42 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,222,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Ok. Was it the ship's idea to sit off the coast of San Diego for this photo op- I mean important speech that had to be delivered with W landing on the ship that was forced to sit off the coast and have a huge banner that was the "ship's idea, but conveniently located for the camera ....

Lmao....Yeah the White House had nothing to do with it....

I like how this guy has the guts to get into a military fighter and pretend he contributed something to this war when during Vietnam he was a complete no show.....Cowards leading heroes, only in America...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies