Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 12:06 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,005,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
You can bet the law enforcement lobby is fighting tooth & nail to keep it illegal. It's a lot easier to bust a "pot head" than risk your life with real criminals plus it's an easy revenue stream.

California Pot Initiative Opposed By Beer Industry

Police forces are entitled to keep property seized as part of drug raids and the revenue stream that comes from waging the drug war has become a significant source of support for local law enforcement. Federal and state funding of the drug war is also a significant supplement to local forces' budgets.

Sad but true. And it's funny that the beer industry opposes legalization. Pot and beer tend to go together, if ya know what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 12:31 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,802,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I find it ironic that many of the people who smoke pot regularly and or defend it turn a blind eye to the horrible amount of crime and violence their habit encourages, while at the same time taking overwhelmingly humanitarian stances on social issues.
Turn a blind eye to crime? Who, in today's world, can avoid seeing and understanding the rising tide of crime and violence in society?
Crime is seen in giving the illegals a free pass to enter our nation while our government turns a blind eye. Crime, is allowing the petroleum industry
to fleece us for gas money and home heating oil. The outsourcing of America is as criminal as it gets, our unemployment numbers rival those of the
great depression. As other commentors have also mentioned, much (or most) of the criminal activity surrounding the marijuana issue, is here because
of government and it's suppression of our rights, that they have turned a blind eye to any potential benefit that might be found in the reestablishment
of new and sensible legislation respective to cannabis, be that, the simple reclassification of marijuana from a schedule 1 "narcotic", or substance, or
perhaps reassessing these purported dangers in light of these heavily strained, latter day times, when contrasted with the greater problem of the ensuing
violence, directly resultant of their unwillingness to review their failed policies. How is it that we are seeing the government's relaxed, blind-eyed stance on
illegal immigration, yet this avaricious enforcement campaign against marijuana is continued year after year while becoming ever more complex?

I am one of those who use marijuana regularly and I stand ready to defend my actions, by restating my assertion that the use of cannabis is a
personal issue, not any part of the domain or realm of government. How you or any observer will contend that marijuana has not become a deep social issue
here in America, is beyond my comprehension. If you want to get a deeper look at just how far out-of-hand that this ridiculous drug war has gotten, you'd
need to understand that, thanks to our government and their inability to stuff the drug monster back into the closet, has spawned a new and upcoming
generation of "dopers" who're feeding their habit, out of big pharmacies, well stocked medicine chest. Talk about irony...

Old 04-28-2011, 02:03 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,773,122 times
Quote:
You can bet the law enforcement lobby is fighting tooth & nail to keep it illegal. ....

But not all are. Have you heard of LEAP?

LEAP - Law Enforcement Against Prohibition - Cops Say Legalize Drugs

Old 04-28-2011, 02:05 PM

532 posts, read 1,056,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samusaran253 View Post
I support the unbanning of marijuana. But the more I see the kind of people who smoke marijuana, the less I support it being unbanned. Currently most (if not all) people who smoke marijuana are undesirables and degenerates of society.
This is a classic hasty generalization.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
This is a classic hasty generalization.
It's sort of like saying; "Prejudiced? Not me! Some of my best friends are black"...

Old 04-28-2011, 03:28 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,221,001 times
When offered a choice between liquor or pot I'll opt for pot 100% of the time.

But again, I'm just an old lazy degenerate undesirable who has no criminal record and many hundreds of hours helping out in the community.......

Old 04-28-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

We all must realize that law enforcement and it's many agencies are no hotbed of mental health, they are neither stocked with illuminated minds,
nor are they staffed with overly enlightened individuals, dedicated to the public good. One great byproduct and continuing conflict within this great marijuana
prohibition, is the schism between those whom serve to enforce the laws, and those who question the validity of those laws. I'm thankful for those few who
have learned that the issue of marijuana is more of one of human rights than the laws of men. Hitler ordered many men to draw their pistols and dispatch
the common Jew. Many officers found that notion (or edict), impossible to live with, they viewed the basic injustice of these orders and would not comply
and that is the way that a segment of our law enforcement see this issue. These people are more concerned with justice than they are of feathering their
nests with countless prosecutions of those who seek no harm to others because of the biased and unfair judgement that government has placed upon a
common weed. These are men and women who will not prostitute their principles by enforcing these unjust laws, the same kind of conscience that kept
some of Hitler's men from exterminating every last Jew in Germany. I give most thanks to that spark of conscience that lies beneath their understanding souls.
It's a shame when you are forced to decide or choose between which law enforcement agency or voice, that you can truly believe in, but still it's a reality.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:17 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,773,122 times
Quote:
Pot will be legal, gay marriage will be legal. All the neo-nazis worst nightmares (like freedom of choice) eventually happen. In the end they always lose. Slavery ended, segregation ended, women got the right to vote, DADT was repealed. Sooner or later the forces of freedom win over the forces of oppression.

I wish that were true. Just as we defeat some restrictions on freedom, there are others being added to take their place like trans fats, smoking, circumcision and eating foie gras.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:34 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,274,207 times
Pot is basically legal where I live already. It's smoked openly in some areas and law enforcement doesn't bother with it unless something else draws their attention. It's low/no priority. And everyone and their brother has their medical marijuana club card. Well not me, but my bother. And daughter. LOL

Old 05-07-2011, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,041 times
Marijuana will be legal someday. I just hope it is in my lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies