Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 07:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,179,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
There's nothing fine with imprisoning people for practicing a religion who have harmed no one by doing so. The right to freely worship is universal regardless of what any particular government says, and this government is infringing on said right.
This is where you are wrong. There are no universal rights around worship. You are assuming there is, but no one has provided such right. For example, I forbid anyone to worship the devil in my home. I am doing nothing wrong here.

China's government owns China, and they can forbid the practice of worship anything they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 07:42 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,978,814 times
Thankfully our founders were bright enough to understand there are certain fundemental human rights which are endowed by our Creator, not government, and that includes the freedom of speech and worship. Our Constitution only affirms universal human rights which can neither be granted nor eliminated with any legitimacy by governments nor individuals.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:48 PM

86 posts, read 162,322 times
Why is this news? China isn't known for their stellar human rights record. It's unfortunate that they can't celebrate Easter, but that's how it is.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:53 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,495,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhbv24 View Post
Why is this news? China isn't known for their stellar human rights record. It's unfortunate that they can't celebrate Easter, but that's how it is.
Exactly. And that hasn't stopped the US from doing business with China and it won't now.

[international frowning is all that will happen - maybe]

Old 04-24-2011, 07:54 PM

86 posts, read 162,322 times
And people, the majority of whom are Christian, will buy Chinese products made in sweatshops by children without giving it a second thought. That's an aside, but it's still a valid point I think.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:05 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,473,753 times
No one cares. American Christians generally don't give a damn about the plight of Christians in other countries.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Thankfully our founders were bright enough to understand there are certain fundemental human rights which are endowed by our Creator, not government, and that includes the freedom of speech and worship. Our Constitution only affirms universal human rights which can neither be granted nor eliminated with any legitimacy by governments nor individuals.
Within the limits of the United States borders... correct.

No fundemental human rights are endowed by our "Creator". I don't think mother nature or science or whatever could care less. Our founders just had common sense.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhbv24 View Post
And people, the majority of whom are Christian, will buy Chinese products made in sweatshops by children without giving it a second thought. That's an aside, but it's still a valid point I think.
You're absolutely right. I hate it when people buy clothes from third-world, sweatshop-laden countries to begin with. Seriously, why can't people just look at the tag and buy clothes made in the USA, Italy, Switzerland or France?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:36 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,273,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Unlike most Christians, I don't want to impose my beliefs on anybody else.
You don't want to impose your beliefs on anybody else while you are imposing your beliefs....

Good one!

Old 04-24-2011, 08:39 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,273,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
No one cares. American Christians generally don't give a damn about the plight of Christians in other countries.
You are SOOOO right!

All those American Christian missionaries in other countries who get supported by American Christians....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies