Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:56 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,985,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
So I just want conservatives to post what they want in three fields.

National Social Issues, national economic issues, foreign policy.

What would you like to see?
If they were honest your wouldn't want to know the answer, a least with a few here, yes there are still dinosaurs still walking the earth.
Casper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 06:58 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,911,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
47% supposedly pay no income tax because they do not have any income to pay it with considering the basic cost of survival in this economy. Just how much is the 47th percentile - $30,000 per year? I think the minimum taxable income should be more like $300,000 per year.
Until the current President's disasterous reign,the po' folks were doing alright it seems....they sure were fat and not going without any of the modern conveniences.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,919,326 times
What they post and what their leaders want are not the same. Most conservatives will be a thoughroly crushed by the coming aristocracy of the wealthy as the rest of us.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:00 AM

37,818 posts, read 41,126,784 times
Quote:
Not one conservative wants to lay out what they want?
Maybe because we're conservative we don't presume to speak for everybody.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:30 AM

20 posts, read 7,992 times
two things, to control the thinking of people who hate and manipulate them to be the mind numb robots who scream and are low information voters, and for that pressure and money to buy the loyalty of the congress and president to make laws that make it easy to control the real power by the wealthy. Its not we the people its we the corporation. The SCOTUS has made this much easier with its totally wrong headed decision to make a corporation an individual. Stupid people who vote against their own interests and for the wealthy will always be the maid or Butler never the individual.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,919,326 times
malphas - I agree with your assertion that people should not vote against their self interest but it was very difficult to figure out what you were saying. Please get a book on writing and learn how to present your thoughts in a more easily comprehended manner.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:42 AM

4,138 posts, read 4,544,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
National Social Issues: Get the government out of people's lives. This means: ABSOLUTELY NO LAWS restricting or allowing marriages or civil unions. This is not the government's place. Generally government needs to live and let live.

Focus on real solutions to education. Instead of pouring more money into the system, sit down and have a real, genuine discussion about the issue and ask those who go through it (students).

Economic Issues: End corporate welfare and subsidies. This includes farm subsidies, handouts to large corporations, subsidizing green energy & ethanol, etc.... Social Security reform with an opt-out option available.

Repeal Obamacare, and replace it with a system that allows people to deposit non-taxable money into medical savings accounts. Allow people to share these tax free accounts & pool their money together. Tort Reform for the medical field.

Tax cuts for everyone & possibly a flat tax. Reform all entitlements to make them more efficient & come up with a long term plan to eliminate the need for such programs.

Foreign Issues: Once again live and let live. Close most overseas bases that are effectively "non-essential" for the post Cold-War era. Increase spending in defense research with some of the money saved by closing overseas bases.

Define clear cut objectives in Afganistan & Libya, accomplish them, and leave with dignity. Generally adopt a more Isolationist policy than Interventionist. However, I am not advocating complete isolationism.

Punish China with tariffs for their continuing trade war against the United States. End "free trade" agreements that are not truly "free". Allow the public to vote to continue membership in the United Nations.

I can think of many more but this is just what came to mind. While I consider myself a conservative I'm no Neocon (obviously).
If these opinions reflected conservative opinion I would be a conservative!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:45 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,911,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Ron Paul on the Issues

Old 04-28-2011, 07:52 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,700,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Yeah, I suppose I fall more in line with Libertarians, but they are conservatives too

Old 04-28-2011, 07:53 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,233,561 times
Quote:
So I just want conservatives to post what they want in three fields.

National Social Issues, national economic issues, foreign policy.

What would you like to see?
To start, I am not registered to any party, and I don't care if you call me conservative or liberal. I have very little respect for anyone who follows either party line to the point of actually claiming to align themselves with the modern conservative or liberal parties. To me, aligning with either side of the isle is an indication of a severe lack of thought and intelligence. Picking 'republican' or 'democrat' or 'conservative' or 'liberal' is a way to get your political views from a book or website rather than real, intellectual thought. Given that, here is my response.

National Social Issues:
I picked a short list of social issues

Abortion: not the government's business. I believe life to begin at conception and as such any ending of another life should be illegal. Beyond that, the government should not care.
Affirmative action: Necessary. Provide laws allowing requiring equality and granting the right to sue given discrimination. Beyond that, it is not the government's problem. No government money should be provided to any one group (e.g. it should not be easier for a minority to get into a state college than a non-minority)
Censorship: not the role of government
Child labor: laws should be enacted to prevent this
Creation science vs. evolution: not the government's problem
Environmental protection: not the government's problem
Euthanasia & assisted suicide: not the government's problem
Global warming: not the government's problem
Gun control: see the second amendment
Homelessness: not the government's problem
Immigration: make sure immigrants bring something to the country (they have a skill that will ensure they can find work). Beyond that, the government should not care
Legalization of marijuana: I don't see why the government should care one way or another. Go ahead and legalize it.
Same sex marriage: As I don't believe tax breaks should be given for marriage anyway, I really don't see why this is the government's problem.
Welfare: A necessary thing, but dramatically scaled back. Only should be provided for those who cannot provide for themselves. Social Security should be completely eliminated (phased out so those who have paid in get money out), UI should be limited to three months maximum, all other social programs should be privatized. The government's role is not that of your mother. If you choose to not save for retirement, that is your problem, not the government's.

National Economic Issues:

Most economic issues are not the government's problem. If the banking industry is about to fail, let it fail. The fed should be eliminated, any government backed mortgages should be eliminated. There should be a flat sales tax on all goods and services, with no other taxation. Raising the national debt ceiling should not be an option. In addition to that, If the government runs out of money in a given fiscal year, services must be cut. No new debt should be allowed to be created. A comprehensive study and plan should be put into place to eliminate all national debt. Until the budget is balanced and national debt is under control (under $500B - what the debt ceiling should be lowered to), all foreign aid, military service other than protecting boarders, and social programs should be completely eliminated.

foreign policy: Unless it is protecting the direct boarders of American land, it is not our government's business. Until the national debt has been brought to under $500B, America should grant no foreign aid and should not have troops stationed overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies