Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:08 AM

24,813 posts, read 24,472,147 times

Advertisements

Well the North didn't help rebuild the south the first time, so that kind of doesn't make sense.

Anyway, yeah, Birmingham was hit hard, 200 cell sites down as of this morning across the middle of the state. I'm driving there in an hour or so to help with the recovery effort.

We are one country, I don't mind lending a hand wherever I'm needed, no matter the geographical situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 06:28 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,789,892 times
It's a sad fact though that this country's government will not help it's own. We will send over $$ by the barrel full to other countries and leave Americans in the dust when tragedy strikes. These poor people will be offered low income loans for their damages that leave them in worse shape than before.

As an American tax payer, I would much prefer to see my tax dollars going to aid USA natural disasters rather than foreign ones.

God bless those that are suffering during this time.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:34 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,137,290 times
New york alreaqdy gets there by the highest public subsidies per person form federal budget. Been rebuilding the north for over a century.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:35 AM

23,405 posts, read 37,141,030 times
Lets not forget about this, either......

seMissourian.com: Local News: Residents voice concerns about breaching Birds Point levee (04/28/11)

"Mississippi County farmers fear the financial ramifications of the corps' plan, knowing their crop insurance won't cover a man-made breach, and there are no guarantees of reimbursement from the government. Sand and gravel damage would be the responsibility of the corps, but property owners would have to file claims, a corps official said. "

Old 04-28-2011, 06:41 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,165,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Just incredible the damage done by these storms. I heard this morning over 175 had been killed.

Tragic.

It scary how much damage can be done in such a short amount of time. It's been a rough spring for sure.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:41 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,279,558 times
Terrible title thread - playing politics with the loss of lives of fellow Americans? Shame on you.

Last night was a historic night for tornadoes. 160 tornadoes reported. April 2011 is now the month with the most tornadoes ever. The radar signature of those storms were classic. But the most amazing one was that one storm that started in Philadelphia, MS and ripped through Tuscaloosa & Birmingham, AL, then hit the Rome, GA area and even spun a tornado in NE GA in the mountains. Talk about a long path of destruction - wow.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:42 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,165,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Lets not forget about this, either......

seMissourian.com: Local News: Residents voice concerns about breaching Birds Point levee (04/28/11)

"Mississippi County farmers fear the financial ramifications of the corps' plan, knowing their crop insurance won't cover a man-made breach, and there are no guarantees of reimbursement from the government. Sand and gravel damage would be the responsibility of the corps, but property owners would have to file claims, a corps official said. "

I know that Branson is flooded. It's a bad situation.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:46 AM

23,405 posts, read 37,141,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I know that Branson is flooded. It's a bad situation.
Most of my family is in Poplar Bluff, Mo.....lots of them out of their homes, and friends, too, due to the terrible flooding.
My thoughts and prayers are with all the victims of the storms.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:32 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,562,929 times
I should have titled this thread: "North stands by to, once again, come to the aid of fellow Americans in the South"

The point is that no matter what vengeance Mother Nature seeks on us we are always willing to roll up our sleeves and help out or Dixie neighbors.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:49 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,035,929 times
Before I add my 2 cents. I wanted to say that I am fascinated by weather! I am hoping to enroll in classes for meteorology here in the Fall. If not this Fall (a few other things have to play out to determine when I enroll) then it has to be next year for sure!

NOW that I have that out of the way, I want rant a bit! My wife and I last night watched on the Weather Channel, a significant weather event unfold, which rivals the 1974 Super Outbreak! I started flipping through the major news networks, CNN, FOX, MSNBC, HLN, and CNN only had a small blurb about it! Maybe it was timing on my part, but I remember Katrina, and the 1999 Oklahoma City tornado and most recently the Japan earthquake, and tsunami, andthe non-stop coverage for days! I mean, really! A significant weather event like this, and barely any mention by the news networks last night?! WTF??? Instead, it was the same old BS, the royal wedding, Obama's birth certificate, Donald Trump, Libya, Syria, ect. ect. ect! I guess our fellow Americans who are suffering, play second fiddle when it comes to the other BS! God bless those in Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia who lost everything yesterday! This American hasn't forgotten about you! I wish you all a speedy recovery, and my condolences to those families that lost their loved ones to yesterday's storms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies