Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 09:02 PM

209 posts, read 240,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If someone from PETA came on here and compared kids to rats, the RW would erupt in nuclear fashion.

No, I've never heard of Skinner or Pavlov. I'm dumb and ignorant as a box of rocks. I made it all the way through college and into grad school in nursing and pursued a career in pediatric nursing without ever having heard of them. (Sarcasm ON)

The reason I don't believe in the particular conspiracy that maja proposed is because I went to public school and learned to think critically. Also both of my kids went to public school and I saw no evidence of this conspiracy of which maja speaks. If it were so prominent, do you not think that in 26 years of public schooling of my kids, I would have come across it myself.

Please do not try to "help" me. If I need "help", I will seek someone competent to give it, thank you very much.
There, there now, your credentials and critical thinking skills are very impressive, however they cause me to further question your assertion that you have complete faith that there is absolutely zero possibility that the powers that be from one political ideology or the other could be clever enough to exploit the captive audience of America's school children with a very subtle yet very intentional curriculum mandate? Seriously, you don't believe that is at all possible even when it has happened repeated throughout history around the world? Seriously? You are speaking in absolutes and in this world there are very few of those. Maybe you haven't seen this influence education that many on this thread are pointing out because it doesn't violate your value system, but for the parents that are noticing, its glaringly obvious.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sights_Set View Post
There, there now, your credentials and critical thinking skills are very impressive, however they cause me to further question your assertion that you have complete faith that there is absolutely zero possibility that the powers that be from one political ideology or the other could be clever enough to exploit the captive audience of America's school children with a very subtle yet very intentional curriculum mandate? Seriously, you don't believe that is at all possible even when it has happened repeated throughout history around the world? Seriously? You are speaking in absolutes and in this world there are very few of those. Maybe you haven't seen this influence education that many on this thread are pointing out because it doesn't violate your value system, but for the parents that are noticing, its glaringly obvious.

Well said. "It can't be wrong because I believe in it." mantra.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:16 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
This is in direct conflict with the attitude that poor people who don't work vote for democrats because they'll get handouts, which is another oft-touted "anti-liberal" quip. It also doesn't reconcile with the notion that the most successful and educated people in the US are "conservatives," which I also see tossed around ad nauseum by self-professed conservatives.

Why are these claims in such direct contradiction of one another?

I don't agree with either assumption. It's not like there's a "magic formula" to what makes someone a conservative or a liberal.

Also, Patti Hearst was kidnapped and went bonkers while in their captivity, she didn't exactly track them down to join their cause. Also, they were the "Symbionese Liberation Army," a group of nutjob revolutionaries in the Bay Area... not the PLO.
First, please give me a break. I was up the street from the shootout and saw the smoke. Patti Hearst kidnapping was a concoction made up by her fathers team of lawyers. With the right lawyers any story will transform into the truth. Assault weapons in her hands as she AGGRESSIVELY robbed banks with the PLO. Her lawyers said the gun was unloaded and that she was forced, but witnesses felt otherwise. People say how bad scoundrels in business are and Hearst was one of the biggest. Do a search for the "dark dealings of Randolph Hearst", and then tell me who you believe.

I'll concede that I should have use "Extreme Liberals" and not just Liberals. I believe most Liberals are good people. I don't believe extreme liberals to be so good and have hijacked the liberal idea with subversive intentions. I do believe many have become teachers following Marx and Alinsky.

Have you read the Manifesto?

Communist Manifesto 10 Planks

Please do and tell me it doesn't remind you of what's happening in the US right now. Think about it, they would never be able to just force all of those things on us so they're doing it slowly, indirectly and intentionally. All I ask is that you read it and think about the connections.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well said. "It can't be wrong because I believe in it." mantra.
Cut the personal attacks, both of you.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The good of the collective has higher priority over the good of the individual.
Group learning, group assessment is where it's at today. It's called "cooperative learning".

It's not the individual that succeeds, it's the group that succeeds.
Remember.."Everyone is a winner".

I've seen it in action and the only comment I have is what do you do with those that do no work and just copy the answers from those that do and get the same grade ?

Cooperative learning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cooperative learning is an approach to organizing classroom activities into academic and social learning experiences. Students must work in groups to complete tasks collectively. Unlike individual learning, students learning cooperatively capitalize on one another’s resources and skills (asking one another for information, evaluating one another’s ideas, monitoring one another’s work, etc.).[1][2] Furthermore, the teacher's role changes from giving information to facilitating students' learning. [3][4]Everyone succeeds when the group succeeds.
Yes. I/we have been getting inundated with this theory or approach of teaching at most of our mandatory professional development days for many years. So truly, there is also an indoctrination of teachers that has been going on as well. Most of the older teachers know that this is teaching strategy is only productive in small doses (just enough so you can grow up and know how to be a team-player at work someday) but that you cannot build an entire pedagogy upon this, and others of similar ilk ie outcome based education, where no student ever really succeeds or fails and the government essentially ends up standardizing mediocrity.

The new teachers however, are a product of the public schools and the very liberal universities and are in lock-step with this entire agenda. Sad thing is that they are so programmed they don't even know there is a flip-side to the coin. Very frustrating situation deal with everyday.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Zimbochick
Oh, the irony of this thread!

- I want my kids well educated.....as long as they only learn about the few things I sanction.
- I believe in strict discipline....but if the teacher does it it's training like rats.
- I want my kids to have a strong religious foundation......only my religion, other religions are the devil.
- I do not want my kids exposed to any politics.......therefore they cannot learn about history, geography, social studies, or english literature.
- I believe in modest clothing.......but imposing uniforms is fascist

And on and on it goes. People are so confused about what it is they really want. All I want is a good, well-rounded education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
WELL SAID!
Casper
You know what they say about assuming things, but to assume such asinine things is just an overdose of BS, isn't it? There's farms in the midwest that could use your brand of rhetoric this season.

Ewww post 666, perfect for Zimbochick

Old 05-01-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Cut the personal attacks, both of you.
First of all, your the one that called me incompetent in your earlier response so I believe that if we were children I would say that you started it. Secondly, how is questioning your line of logic a personal attack? Please explain, but please use small words due to my incompetence. As for me, I am a big girl and I think all of the arguing on this forum is fun even if some one gets my hackles up. Isn't that why we are all spending our valuable time taking part in these heated debates, for the fun of it??? Try not to take things so personally, I don't. I have already forgiven you for calling me incompetent

Old 05-01-2011, 09:45 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You know what they say about assuming things, but to assume such asinine things is just an overdose of BS, isn't it? There's farms in the midwest that could use your brand of rhetoric this season.

Ewww post 666, perfect for Zimbochick
Ummm.....okay, the post you are referring to is #271, and that's with my public education and all!

So people who disagree with you are now the devil? What a truly bizarre post.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Yes. I/we have been getting inundated with this theory or approach of teaching at most of our mandatory professional development days for many years. So truly, there is also an indoctrination of teachers that has been going on as well. Most of the older teachers know that this is teaching strategy is only productive in small doses (just enough so you can grow up and know how to be a team-player at work someday) but that you cannot build an entire pedagogy upon this, and others of similar ilk ie outcome based education, where no student ever really succeeds or fails and the government essentially ends up standardizing mediocrity.

The new teachers however, are a product of the public schools and the very liberal universities and are in lock-step with this entire agenda. Sad thing is that they are so programmed they don't even know there is a flip-side to the coin. Very frustrating situation deal with everyday.
Great posts

The whole premise of this country was built on the foundation of the individual, and that idea is as solid now as it was then. It simply doesn't fit into the progressive agenda. Some people, no matter what the circumstances, are never satisfied. I mean the Communist Party actually endorsed the Progressive Party candidate for President in 1940. Communists have always labeled themselves progressives, and they've been indoctrinating people for eighty years. When students have been indoctrinated it stands to reason that many will grow up to teach, becoming the indoctrinators.

But let's not allow history to get in the way of solid reasoning.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Ummm.....okay, the post you are referring to is #271, and that's with my public education and all!

So people who disagree with you are now the devil? What a truly bizarre post.
I read your post and it was complete nonsense, thus my response.

There you go putting words in my mouth. I never said that. All I said was the perfect number post for you... you decided the rest on your own. I've gotten past that though as 668 just doesn't have the same zing. Do you even know a conservative that you like? Why is that liberals are the first to scream racist, yet are political racists themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies