Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,612 times

Advertisements

Michigan might legalize gay marriage, probably by 2040. I'm from Michigan, and the voters there tend to go Blue in presidential elections. Hubert Humphery, Bill Clinton, Al Gore, John Kerry, and Barack Obama all won Michigan in their presidential elections, and when Michigan Amendment 2 was passed in 2002, hardcore Republican John Engler (AKA, Bush on Steroids) had the voters wrapped around his little finger in terms of which way they would vote.

On the 2012 ticket in California is another proposal to legalize gay marriage, with an addendum that says, "as a direct result of this measure, no school curriculum shall be changed," thus rendering null and void one of the Conservatard arguments for Prop 8 in 2008.

Florida might legalize it as early as 2016. Republican governor and convicted Medicare fraud Rick Scott has the one of the lowest approval ratings, if not the lowest, of any governor in the country, with 32%. Rick Snyder in Michigan and Ted Kasich in Ohio have some pretty low ratings.

The point is, Florida is going to turn really blue in 2014. After electing the most conservative government in the state's history, the honeymoon period never happened, and the relationship between $cott and the voters went straight to Divorce Court. If the voters put Democrats in, like they did in 2008, we can vote to repeal the constitutional amendment that says marriage is man/woman, and in five years, things will probably have gotten more liberal.

You're right about Idaho, the Dakotas, Utah, and Texas. They will never legalize it voluntarily.

We need a Supreme Court ruling. The only reason the court has stayed silent on this issue is because they're all conservative. They know the Constitution better than anybody else, and they don't like what would happen. It would be bigger than Roe V. Wade. Bigger than Dred Scott. More controversial than Bush V. Gore.

If the Supreme Court ever rules on gay marriage, it will be legal in all 50 states.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:08 PM

47,010 posts, read 26,062,966 times
That timeline is way too conservative.

Here, check the trend:

If I had a political position firmly identified with denying gays the right to marry, I'd probably look for an exit strategy.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:08 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,980,808 times
All of those so-called "liberal" politicians mentioned are against gays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Left Wing Extremist View Post
Michigan might legalize gay marriage, probably by 2040. I'm from Michigan, and the voters there tend to go Blue in presidential elections. Hubert Humphery, Bill Clinton, Al Gore, John Kerry, and Barack Obama all won Michigan in their presidential elections, and when Michigan Amendment 2 was passed in 2002, hardcore Republican John Engler (AKA, Bush on Steroids) had the voters wrapped around his little finger in terms of which way they would vote.

On the 2012 ticket in California is another proposal to legalize gay marriage, with an addendum that says, "as a direct result of this measure, no school curriculum shall be changed," thus rendering null and void one of the Conservatard arguments for Prop 8 in 2008.

Florida might legalize it as early as 2016. Republican governor and convicted Medicare ********* Rick Scott has the one of the lowest approval ratings, if not the lowest, of any governor in the country, with 32%. Rick Snyder in Michigan and Ted Kasich in Ohio have some pretty low ratings.

The point is, Florida is going to turn really blue in 2014. After electing the most conservative government in the state's history, the honeymoon period never happened, and the relationship between $cott and the voters went straight to Divorce Court. If the voters put Democrats in, like they did in 2008, we can vote to repeal the constitutional amendment that says marriage is man/woman, and in five years, things will probably have gotten more liberal.

You're right about Idaho, the Dakotas, Utah, and Texas. They will never legalize it voluntarily.

We need a Supreme Court ruling. The only reason the court has stayed silent on this issue is because they're all conservative. They know the Constitution better than anybody else, and they don't like what would happen. It would be bigger than Roe V. Wade. Bigger than Dred Scott. More controversial than Bush V. Gore.

If the Supreme Court ever rules on gay marriage, it will be legal in all 50 states.

Last edited by artsyguy; 04-30-2011 at 01:17 PM..

Old 04-30-2011, 01:13 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,325,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Left Wing Extremist View Post

Florida might legalize it as early as 2016. Republican governor and convicted Medicare ********* Rick Scott has the one of the lowest approval ratings, if not the lowest, of any governor in the country, with 32%. Rick Snyder in Michigan and Ted Kasich in Ohio have some pretty low ratings.

Well, this poll shows that 28% of Floridians support gay marriage, 31% civil unions and 37% no legal recognition.

Age breakdown...
Aged 18-29: 36% support gay marriage, 14% civil unions, 43% no legal recognition.
Aged 30-45: 29% gay marriage, 22% civil unions, 45% no legal recognition.
Aged 45-65: 28% gay marriage, 35% civil unions, 34% no legal recognition.
Aged 66 and older: 25% gay marriage, 40% civil unions, and 31% no legal recognition.
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p..._FL_032913.pdf

Old 04-30-2011, 02:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
States don't have the right to deny people equality, sorry.
This is a states issue cut and dry. How do you explain state having different laws on the legal age to marry for instance or the speed limits? What right does the federal government have to set legal age for drinking or driving? Sorry, you can believe what you want, I am a supporter of gay rights but I still say there are many things, including gay marriage that is up to the states. We are not talking legal unions or rights to medical information, etc, we are talking marriage...There is a big difference.

Nita

Old 04-30-2011, 02:23 PM

24,514 posts, read 33,347,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Hopefully none of them.
I agree.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:29 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,975,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I agree.
In other words, you hate gay people, but won't explicity phrase it that way. Keep them as degenerates of socitety, right? This is the backward thinking that has caused me to abandon Republican/conservatism in favor of social liberalism.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:31 PM

24,514 posts, read 33,347,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
In other words, you hate gay people, but won't explicity phrase it that way. Keep them as degenerates of socitety, right? This is the backward thinking that has caused me to abandon Republican/conservatism in favor of social liberalism.
I won't even try to rationalize your silly post. Once you bring up the "H" word ("hate") you lose the discussion.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:57 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,790,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This is a states issue cut and dry.
No, it isn't. Otherwise interracial marriage would still be illegal in Virginia.

Quote:
How do you explain state having different laws on the legal age to marry for instance or the speed limits?
What right does the federal government have to set legal age for drinking or driving? Sorry, you can believe what you want, I am a supporter of gay rights but I still say there are many things, including gay marriage that is up to the states. We are not talking legal unions or rights to medical information, etc, we are talking marriage...There is a big difference.

Nita
The government obviously has a compelling interest to restrict the ages of driving and drinking - most likely health reasons. That and I'm not sure age falls under the 14th Amendment protections, so it's not a constitutional issue.

The right to marry a person of one's choosing is enshrined in federal law and implicit in the Constitution. State's cannot violate the constitution on marriage laws. You can argue all you want that the government is overstepping its bounds, but since they've already established marriage under federal law, until the Supreme Court agrees with you and reverses all their decisions on marriage, including making interracial marriage illegal again, state's have no decision in the matter.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:59 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,790,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I won't even try to rationalize your silly post. Once you bring up the "H" word ("hate") you lose the discussion.
So if I want interracial marriage to be illegal in my state, because blacks and whites mixing is an abomination to God, that's cool with you? No hate involved right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.