Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 08:20 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,405,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
As for the birth certificate - i wasn't all that interested till I saw the one that was just released. How in heavens name can the Left blindly accept this document? How is it OK for our President to give us a document that says his father was born in Kenya when Kenya didn't exist until 27 years AFTER his father's birth? How is it that this document is accepted blindly by people who consider themselves intellectually superior when the hospital named on the 1961 certificate of birth didn't exist until 1978? In fact, it was two separate hospitals that merged. How forward thinking of the typist in 1961 to think up the new name for the merged hospitals that wouldn't take place for 17 years!.
Use a little common sense will ya?
Place names are often used LONG before they become official. Why do you think they are CHOSEN as the official names to begin with? BECAUSE that's what people are calling them. Do you really think folks only began calling us "America" AFTER we officially became the "United States of America"?
Hell no. That name had been bandied about for 200 years or so before it became "official". The name "Canada" was first used in the 1500's. My mother is British and I remember hearing the name "Kenya" BEFORE Kenya became an independent nation. Even as a British colony it was long referred to by the common name of "Kenya". That's WHY it ended up with the name of "Kenya" when it became independent.
Geeze!

Same deal regarding the hospital. The modern "official" name of the hospital today is NOT the name on the Birth Certificate (as you claim it is). Though not yet official at Obama's hospital, the term "medical center" was ALREADY starting to be used at many hospitals by the late 1950's - in fact some were already being officially renamed (such as Baylor University Hospital being renamed Baylor University Medical Center - which happened in 1959) and many of those that were not "officially" renamed "medical centers" were already using that name in a casual basis because it better reflected what the hospital had become (ie MORE than just a place to provide direct patient care). Hospitals were referred to as "Medical Centers" long before they officially took that name.

Don't you think the widow of Obama's delivery doctor would notice is the name of the hospital was wrong on the birth certificate?

Barack Obama's birth doctor's son 'floored' by news - Telegraph

Ken

Old 05-03-2011, 08:24 AM

8,275 posts, read 12,893,675 times
here come the conspiracy theories....

I'm surprised they haven't released photos yet. I'm sure he was documented intensely. Ill be surprised if there weren't videos of the attack.

I for one do believe JFK and Elvis are both dead O will include osama in the list now too.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:27 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,982,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
There's another of my impertinent questions.

IF Bin Laden was dumped off a ship:

Why the ceremonial washing and the wrapping (so JESUS like)?

This man was a mass murderer.....and they went out of their way to perform rituals according to HIS religion?!?!?

WTF!????

W H Y ?

NObody has questioned this especially the media....
What we do with someone's remains has very little to do with that person. We do what we do more often for the people still living. In this case, the person who died was a very high-profile person. Treating his remains with respect shows we respect the millions of people who follow the same religion as the person who died. Disrespecting those remains would have reinforced a message this dead person repeatedly asserted: that the United States does not respect Muslims. It's not an endorsement of any religion. It's not a special accord of respect for bin Laden. It's a demonstration that the people of the United States are not barbaric.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:33 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,344,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
There's another of my impertinent questions.

IF Bin Laden was dumped off a ship:

Why the ceremonial washing and the wrapping (so JESUS like)?

This man was a mass murderer.....and they went out of their way to perform rituals according to HIS religion?!?!?

WTF!????

W H Y ?

NObody has questioned this especially the media....
Yes, the media has questioned this. Where have you been? Google it. Handling the body in accordance to Islamic requirements costs the U.S. nothing and in doing so could be saving us a lot of trouble with the Muslim world. What alternative would you prefer? Parade the body through the streets of New York for people to spit on? How would doing something like that contribute to the goal of finding world peace? No matter what was done with the body there would be criticism. It was a no-win situation for those making that decision.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:35 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,729,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Yes and Obama is no different than any other President. He's serving his corporate and wealthy masters well. Just look into Soros' Quantum Fund. Kuhn, Loeb, and Co. was doing the same sht Goldman Sachs is doing 100 years ago. Same people different names. The US government is one big revolving door for the financial and corporate elite. Why do you think just about every political hack is a throwback to Yale, Harvard, Stanford etc....these people control, fund and otherwise control these institutions. But the middle class is just thankful enough to have these masters provide our jobs so we continue to serve them and their interests. Why do you think the government wants us to rely so much on them. Just look at the destruction of family farms. You think they want a bunch of self reliant, independent farmers providing food and sustainable agriculture for US communities? Hell no! Like Kissinger said you control a nations food supply and you control the people. Or was it the oil? Or the money? LOL.
At the risk of over-simplifying...To me there is little doubt that a distracted and fearful populace is easier to control than a well informed and confident one. I see this distraction attained, in part, through the growing focus on visual media for our entertainment and livelihood. This includes the so-called reality TV explosion, "news" and general celebrity fascination. That same "news", including partisan outfits such as Fox and MSNBC, breeds a nice layer of fear / anxiety / loathing in us. It helps keep us obedient and diligent in our J.O.B.s (just over broke) as we middle class pay the lion's share of taxes to fund things.

On the other hand, a nation of anarchists would be a mess governmentally speaking. We see under currents of this in eco-terrorists, survivalists and ever-present protestors at World Summits when national reps get together...to name a few. But by and large, the bulk of us are lawful and obedient and submissive just the way our political leaders like and need us.

Why is it that so many people and so much time is dedicated to partisan arguments when it seems perfectly feasible that the real issues are beyond political parties? Is it because we are afraid? Afraid of sounding like Conspiracy Theorists? Afraid of government reprisal? Simply denial? Maybe it makes us feel like we are involved in the porcess? I am perplexed.

Thanks for sharing your point of view Croozer.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Yes, the media has questioned this. Where have you been? Google it. Handling the body in accordance to Islamic requirements costs the U.S. nothing and in doing so could be saving us a lot of trouble with the Muslim world. What alternative would you prefer? Parade the body through the streets of New York for people to spit on? How would doing something like that contribute to the goal of finding world peace? No matter what was done with the body there would be criticism. It was a no-win situation for those making that decision.
I read somewhere that a Muslim cleric, critical of the sea burial, said that sea burials were only for extreme scenarios. To me, this seems to qualify as such.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:37 AM

24,478 posts, read 23,186,975 times
After some thought, I'm pretty certain that they did in fact kill him. I think any stumbling after the fact, the rushed handling of the body, the hand wringing over how to present the facts to the media, that was poorly handled but also deliberately poorly handled.
Obama is not the shrewdest guy around, but the people that plan things for him and orchestrate the running of the Whitehouse, are. He's getting hammered in the polls and public opinion and something was needed to offset any upcoming bad economic news. maybe they've known where he was for sometime, maybe not. maybe they wanted an opportune time to take Bin laden out. So Obama is in trouble and can't do anything to get the people to back him or his policy. This will give him a little breathing room. And I mean a little, since it hasn't been a huge boost to the american psyche. It was just too much after the fact. But beyond that, they needed to try to draw his detractors into hurting themselves. So they left open some big questions, on purpose, to generate conspiracy theories. The same was done with the birth certificate although that nearly backfired on them. This administration is all smoke and mirrors so don't expect anything positive on economics, job creation, the deficit, etc.
Osama is dead. We won't forget 9/11, but we can forget him. Its time to worry about the here and now.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:42 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,642,213 times
Lightbulb Anyone else think the entire thing is a hoax?

Probably the great majority of birthers, teabaggers and other assorted nuts.

deathers?

Old 05-03-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
What we do with someone's remains has very little to do with that person. We do what we do more often for the people still living. In this case, the person who died was a very high-profile person. Treating his remains with respect shows we respect the millions of people who follow the same religion as the person who died. Disrespecting those remains would have reinforced a message this dead person repeatedly asserted: that the United States does not respect Muslims. It's not an endorsement of any religion. It's not a special accord of respect for bin Laden. It's a demonstration that the people of the United States are not barbaric.
Right you are DC. It's called taking the high road. I'm sure it is quite a challenge to retain diplomacy in this arena. These extremists may still see us as barbaric regardless, but at least we will get more support from moderate Muslims and our own population. That's a huge start anyway.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Probably the great majority of birthers, teabaggers and other assorted nuts.

deathers?
Please stop with the "cute" labels already. I can barely handle left and right and conservative and liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies