Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 12:17 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times

Advertisements

Is this the mission in Afghanistan? Apparently the Taliban want to get rid of the opium fields, so we are guarding them. Why?

Afghanistan is, by far, the largest grower and exporter of opium in the world today, cultivating a 92 percent market share of the global opium trade. But what may shock many is the fact that the US military has been specifically tasked with guarding Afghan poppy fields, from which opium is derived, in order to protect this multibillion dollar industry that enriches Wall Street, the CIA, MI6, and various other groups that profit big time from this illicit drug trade scheme.

Learn more: War on drugs revealed as total hoax - US military admits to guarding, assisting lucrative opium trade in Afghanistan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 12:25 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Is this the mission in Afghanistan? Apparently the Taliban want to get rid of the opium fields, so we are guarding them. Why?

Gotta keep the people back home in the US pacified one way or the other.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:30 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
The Taliban opposed Opium production in the 80's and 90's, but now they have changed that tune.

They are using the opium money to fund ther operations, and the Americans have been destroying poppy fields.

Afghanistan is never going to be a democracy. You still can't go two feet off the main roads without driving into mine fields.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:45 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Afghanistan is never going to be a democracy. You still can't go two feet off the main roads without driving into mine fields.
It was a relatively modern Westernized urban nation up through the 1970s until 30 years of near-continuous foreign meddling and civil war destroyed the place.

Once Upon a Time - Afghanistan - YouTube

Old 12-02-2011, 07:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
When the bankers fund the generals and the generals protect the bankers we ALL lose.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:57 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,705 times
Quote:

Afghanistan is, by far, the largest grower and exporter of opium in the world today, cultivating a 92 percent market share of the global opium trade. But what may shock many is the fact that the US military has been specifically tasked with guarding Afghan poppy fields, from which opium is derived, in order to protect this multibillion dollar industry that enriches Wall Street, the CIA, MI6, and various other groups that profit big time from this illicit drug trade scheme.

Learn more: War on drugs revealed as total hoax - US military admits to guarding, assisting lucrative opium trade in Afghanistan
This is news to you? Seriously? Hahahahaha. I think I knew that this was a huge part of the Afghan economy before high school.

Opium is much more profitable for the folks there than any other agricultural product. You won't win hearts and minds by shutting down the opium trade there. I'm sort of stunned that this would be news to anyone.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:26 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
The war on drugs would be the first thing I eliminated the budget for. foreign military intervention would be #2.

And people wonder why we have massive deficits? Washington has simply not kept our best interests at heart in the decisions they have made.... Still see no reason for the OWS movement?

Old 12-02-2011, 09:40 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
All of Americas wars are phony and nothing more than excuses to fleece an unwitting populace.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:42 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:

Opium poppys are used for much more than illegal drugs.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:46 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
This is news to you? Seriously? Hahahahaha. I think I knew that this was a huge part of the Afghan economy before high school.

Opium is much more profitable for the folks there than any other agricultural product. You won't win hearts and minds by shutting down the opium trade there. I'm sort of stunned that this would be news to anyone.
Yes it is news to me. I heard about the opium fields years ago, but haven't heard anything since then, so I had no idea this market was so huge and flourishing.
This is an excellent article on the history and where it stands as of 2010.

Quote:
In mid-2009, the U.S. embassy launched a multi-agency effort, called the Afghan Threat Finance Cell, to cut Taliban drug monies through financial controls. But one American official soon compared this effort to "punching jello." By August 2009, a frustrated Obama administration had ordered the U.S. military to "kill or capture" 50 Taliban-connected druglords who were placed on a classified "kill list."
Since the record crop of 2007, opium production has, in fact, declined somewhat -- to 6,900 tons last year (still over 90% of the world's opium supply). While U.N. analysts attribute this 20% reduction largely to eradication efforts, a more likely cause has been the global glut of heroin that came with the Afghan opium boom, and which had depressed the price of poppies by 34%. In fact, even this reduced Afghan opium crop is still far above total world demand, which the U.N. estimates at 5,000 tons per annum.
Preliminary reports on the 2010 Afghan opium harvest, which starts next month, indicate that the drug problem is not going away. Some U.S. officials who have surveyed Helmand's opium heartland see signs of an expanded crop. Even the U.N. drug experts who have predicted a continuing decline in production are not optimistic about long-term trends. Opium prices might decline for a few years, but the price of wheat and other staple crops is dropping even faster, leaving poppies as by far the most profitable crop for poor Afghan farmers.

Ending the Cycle of Drugs and Death
The Opium Wars In Afghanistan By Alfred W. McCoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies