Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:08 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,930,915 times

Advertisements

The Lib-Dem vote is collapsing, the Conservative vote is down a lot. Labour is the big winner.

In Scotland, Lib-Dem vote is also collapsing but the votes appear to be going to the left of center SNP rather than Labour.

Conservatives and Lib-Dems are paying the electoral price for their economic and fiscal policies (i.e. cuts).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 02:24 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
A thoroughly misleading title that doesn't really explain the REAL story.

Which would be - another country tossing out liberals/democrats for the mess they have created with their tax and spend out of control government.

Election results 2011: Lib Dems suffer worst losses in a generation | Politics | guardian.co.uk

Quote:
The Liberal Democrats have been left reeling after suffering their worst electoral drubbing in almost 30 years, sustaining heavy losses across northern England.

With around two-thirds of local election results still to come in, the party had already lost around 200 seats.

While voters seemed intent on punishing the Liberal Democrats, their coalition partners, the Conservatives, fared much better, holding their own in terms of council seats.
The trend continues. Conservatism on the rise.

Quote:
Conservatives and Lib-Dems are paying the electoral price for their economic and fiscal policies (i.e. cuts).
Did you even bother to look at the results, or just thought putting that out there (FALSE) would go unchallenged.

The economic and fiscal policies that are being REJECTED is the tax and spending of the liberals.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:44 PM

The only thing misleading is your post which demonstrates a remarkable ignorance of what has happened as well as a remarkable ignorance of UK politics But, I will try to make it simple for you:

1. The Lib-Dems have not been tossed out "for the mess they have created with their tax and spend out of control government" because they were never "in" to create the "mess" in the first place.

2. This is the first time the Lib-Dems (formerly the Liberals) have been in government since the First World War so quite how your conclusion that they have created a mess can only come from fantasy land.

3. Most Lib-Dem voters are left of center.

4. The Lib-Dems are in coalition with the Conservatives.

5. The Lib-Dem vote has collapsed because the Lib-Dem MPs are supporting Conservative policies and their left of center voters do not like it.

6. In England, it is the Labour party who has benefited from the collapse of the vote not the Conservatives. Labour had a net gain of 800 seats wheras the Conservatives had a net gain of just 81 seats. Therefore, the Conservatives cannot be "on the rise". Another conclusion from fantasy land.

7. Labour gained more seats than the Lib-Dems lost.

8. The Conservative vote held but did not increase significantly.

9. If Labour continue to take the Lib-Dem vote then they will win the next general election. The reason there is a coalition in the UK is because the Conservatives did not win enough votes for an outright majority. Put the Labour vote and the Lib-Dem vote together and you do have an outright majority for Labour.

10. In the Scottish elections, the Conservatives and the Lib-Dems were almost wiped out managing just 20 seats between them.

11. Quite how you conclude that "Conservatism is on the rise" when Labour were the big winners in England is a mystery.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:51 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Labour were not really the big winners. They mostly won seats at the expense of the Lib Dems. hardly what I call being winners. it's like in Canada the NDP mostly took over seats in the Commons at the expense of the Liberals. if you want Labour to win, which I suspect you do, then it needs to chip away greatly at the Conservative seats. At least in England, the majority of the councils are controlled by a Conservative majority. Course the next general election is what matters. I think the Conservatives are gonna form a minority government again, I don't predict a majority government the next election either.

Quote:
The Liberal Democrats were severely punished. They lost almost half their councillors in town halls across the country, while the Conservatives exceeded expectations.
Local elections 2011: results map - Telegraph

Old 05-06-2011, 02:56 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,286,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Labour were not really the big winners. They mostly won seats at the expense of the Lib Dems. hardly what I call being winners. it's like in Canada the NDP mostly took over seats in the Commons at the expense of the Liberals. if you want Labour to win, which I suspect you do, then it needs to chip away greatly at the Conservative seats. At least in England, the majority of the councils are controlled by a Conservative majority. Course the next general election is what matters. I think the Conservatives are gonna form a minority government again, I don't predict a majority government the next election either.

Eventually voters have to grow up and realize there is no more treasury to take and they need to pay as they go.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:03 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
I have read the Lib-Dems have been punished for breaking their promises and being too tame a partner of the conservatives.

Also interesting, voters have decided to stick with the first past the post system.

And the Scots might be closer than ever to independence from Britain. Thish ish great newsh.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:

They are the big winners because it means that, if they can hold onto the Lib Dem vote, they have enough to win an outright majority at the next general election.

In fact, I am not pro-Labour. I hold all the main UK political parties in equal disdain and would probably vote either Monster Raving Loony (yes they do exist) or Green were I living in the UK.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have read the Lib-Dems have been punished for breaking their promises and being to tame a partner of the conservatives.

Also interesting, voters have decided to stick with the first past the post system.

And the Scots might be closer than ever to independence from Britain.
Be careful what you read into the Scottish vote.

Two things happened in Scotland. First, the Lib Dem vote collapsed and went to the SNP. Second, there was a much smaller move away from Labour and towards the SNP.

We know why the Lib Dem vote collapsed. What is more interesting is why Labour votes went to the SNP. In my view this was more about the failure of and endemic corruption in the Scottish Labour party than anything else. In other words, it was a protest vote.

I do not think it means that a majority of Scots would vote for independence and I think the SNP understand that. So don't expect the promised referendum anytime soon.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:13 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
They are the big winners because it means that, if they can hold onto the Lib Dem vote, they have enough to win an outright majority at the next general election.

In fact, I am not pro-Labour. I hold all the main UK political parties in equal disdain and would probably vote either Monster Raving Loony (yes they do exist) or Green were I living in the UK.
Monster Raving Loony Good to know Brits still have their sense of humor

As do I. That's why over here, I stump for Ron Paul and not for an establishment hack like Cain or Pawlenty or anyone for the Democrats (though I can tolerate Dennis Kucinich and Ralph Nader). You have to give credit to the Tories though, for scrapping the new ID card scheme that Labour put up and put eveyrone's biographical information in a central database. Now if they only would dismantle the widespread CCTV cameras that only solve 1 in 1000 crimes and the PC state, England would be a tolerable place to live and my fiancee wouldn't hate the place so much

Old 05-06-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Monster Raving Loony Good to know Brits still have their sense of humor

As do I. That's why over here, I stump for Ron Paul and not for an establishment hack like Cain or Pawlenty or anyone for the Democrats (though I can tolerate Dennis Kucinich and Ralph Nader). You have to give credit to the Tories though, for scrapping the new ID card scheme that Labour put up and put eveyrone's biographical information in a central database. Now if they only would dismantle the widespread CCTV cameras that only solve 1 in 1000 crimes and the PC state, England would be a tolerable place to live and my fiancee wouldn't hate the place so much

The Labour party has always been more anti-civil rights (things like ID cards, detention without trial, etc.) than the Conservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies