Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:54 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Why did they use Christian rhetoric?
Because it was a way to get people to follow along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 08:55 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
So Christianity has never been spread by the sword (or gun), hey?
Not nearly as much as with islam.

You might suggest the crusades...keep in mind they were the result of 3 centuries of islamic aggression. islam threw the first punch.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:01 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,771 times
Quote:
Why did they use Christian rhetoric?
They used the rhetoric - much like Saddam Hussein did - to make justifications to certain portions of their perspective societies, for the purely political motives they have. Adolph Hitler cared about as much for Christianity as Saddam Hussein did for Islam.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
They used the rhetoric - much like Saddam Hussein did - to make justifications to certain portions of their perspective societies, for the purely political motives they have. Adolph Hitler cared about as much for Christianity as Saddam Hussein did for Islam.
Hussein was said to have been muttering the "there is no god but allah, and muhammed is his prophet" mantra prior to his hanging. There is no indication that Hitler was that devoted to his religion.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:16 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Because it was a way to get people to follow along.
Thank you for helping prove my point that religious has played HUGE role in politics.

Quote:
Saddam was a Muslim, and most of his enemies were Muslims. The us versus them rhetoric of the Nazis using Christianity as a tool resembles more closely to the Usama Bin Laden approach. After all, aren't there enough people who see this as a Muslim versus Christian issue? Who sold that idea?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Hussein was said to have been muttering the "there is no god but allah, and muhammed is his prophet" mantra prior to his hanging. There is no indication that Hitler was that devoted to his religion.
Sure. Of course, we don't know what Hitler was saying during his final moments. As for Saddam muttering those things, that may (or may not) be just heresay. Plenty of people who don't think twice about Jesus/Mohamed/Buddha find themselves praying when the fecal matter hits the fan.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people."
- Adolf Hitler, 1922

Old 05-09-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Thank you for helping prove my point that religious has played HUGE role in politics.

Saddam was a Muslim, and most of his enemies were Muslims. The us versus them rhetoric of the Nazis using Christianity as a tool resembles more closely to the Usama Bin Laden approach. After all, aren't there enough people who see this as a Muslim versus Christian issue? Who sold that idea?
I don't disagree that people use religion to stir up trouble. Heck, that church burning thing going on in Egypt (between the Coptic Christians and Muslims) was started by a simple lie (an easy way to start conflict and initially get plenty of people on your side - until the lie is found out) that a Muslim convert was being held against her will. I'm just saying that German Christians were not killing Jews - Nazis did. They used Christian rhetoric to gain power, but once in power, they simply followed Hitler's agenda (that had nothing to do with Christianity).

Old 05-09-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Sure. Of course, we don't know what Hitler was saying during his final moments. As for Saddam muttering those things, that may (or may not) be just heresay. Plenty of people who don't think twice about Jesus/Mohamed/Buddha find themselves praying when the fecal matter hits the fan.
I saw the video. It sure looked like he was saying it. But it does appear he had at least some belief in islam.

Quote:
"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people."
- Adolf Hitler, 1922
Thank you for illustrating his complete lack of understanding of Christianity.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I don't disagree that people use religion to stir up trouble. Heck, that church burning thing going on in Egypt (between the Coptic Christians and Muslims) was started by a simple lie (an easy way to start conflict and initially get plenty of people on your side - until the lie is found out) that a Muslim convert was being held against her will. I'm just saying that German Christians were not killing Jews - Nazis did. They used Christian rhetoric to gain power, but once in power, they simply followed Hitler's agenda (that had nothing to do with Christianity).
It doesn't matter. Based on the same reasoning you provide, I see not Muslims but those who use Islam to propagate their cause to instill violence to gain political and economic grounds.

If you blame Islam for violence because the violent scream their lungs out with religiosity, blame Christianity for the violence from those who screamed their lungs out with that religiosity. The moment you claim one side as being innocent, and the other side vilified, the bias shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies