Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 02:55 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,323,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Except Obama
Mixed raced indviduals with a Black parent get "promoted" to Bi-racial status by White people who have a problem believing ANYBODY of non-White lineage can achieve anything socially, technologically, politically, or artistically significant.

Now a bi-racial guy arrested for armed robbery, well he's BLACK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 03:58 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,966,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Monkeys don't have larger lips and not all have darker skin or larger wider noses.
Nope...... but tell that to any Klan member, or the cartoonists who drew (and still draw) blacks that way. They associate black features with monkeys, and throw in the whole "less human" aspect of it.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:15 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelala13 View Post
The race threads on this forum are ridiculous and scary.
The fact that there are races threads to begin with are stupid as sh*t, but that's the world we live in.

When you have 6 billion people in the world who DON'T all look, think, act, believe, behave, speak, or even walk alike, you're bound to have people question "why they do that?" Sometimes, it even gets heated, or violent only because deep down, they're scared of "the others" or just simply don't understand. What's worse about that is in a lot of cases, people just don't want to understand. They're more comfortable with what they know and just live with it, disregarding the fact that we're all different with our own minds and free will.

Even non-issues like this (which I'm sure will officially END after tonight's so called debate with O'Reily and Stewart) get blown up simply because someone is different, says something you don't agree with, and because of this, the person is a P.O.S. that should be punished because we don't agree with him or he just scares us to death.

BTW, those last two paragraphs had little to do with race. If ya thought they did, then I just proved a point.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:44 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,728,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
If there is a vast nation of whites who secretly despise blacks but pretend to like them then I don't think the best way to change their views is to constantly berate them about race.

The best thing to do is to behave in a manner that is the OPPOSITE of the negative stereotypes about black people. Most blacks do, of course, but many behave in a way to support the views of racists.

With the proper behavior racist views will simply erode over time.
We've been hearing that for 400 years.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:09 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,558,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
We've been hearing that for 400 years.
Where do you think stereotypes come from?

And why do you think they continue?

Its the behavior of some in the group that is being stereotyped.

As you shrink the amount of stereotypical behavior you shrink the power of the stereotype.

...and that goes for negative behavior in EVERY ethnic group (blacks, whites, latinos, Asians, etc., etc.)

Old 05-16-2011, 07:16 PM

7,191 posts, read 4,786,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I have had the opportunity to have this discussion with several black women that I've known for a long time.

My impression is that they are not racist; however, finding a man in their community that wants to step up and marry and be a family man is a problem anymore. It's rare. And the black men that are marrying seem to be gravitating towards white women or, rather, non-black women. Their statements have been that it's almost a trophy thing for some black men. They have no prejudice against non-black women but are left wondering what the "allure" is to go outside their race and/or culture as they perceive that it is trending.

Just something to ponder...
I agree. I had a black female neighbor in college back in the 80's who told me something along the same lines.

She said that not too many black men went to college at the time. In her view, college educated black men who married non-black women were shrinking the available pool of desirable black men (read good catch) for college educated black women like herself. Today though, there is an increasing number of of non-white females marrying white men.

To me, she was just complaining about the added competition. I do believe it's a "woman thing". I did not perceive her comments as "racist".

To me, it's all good. Maybe we can stop talking about racism after everybody is thoroughly mixed.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:30 PM
JJG

Quote:
Where do you think stereotypes come from?
Ignorance and stupidity from those who believe that the actions of FEW discribe the entire race/religion/ethnicity/any other type of group.

Quote:

And why do you think they continue?
Again, ignorance and stuipidity. Though there are some people who do live up to stereotypes, negative or positive, it takes a smart person to know that not ALL people who look the same ARE the same. Unfortunately, there are those who stereotype just out of pure hatred and prejudice, and there's no condeming that.

Quote:

Its the behavior of some in the group that is being stereotyped.
Read above....

Quote:

As you shrink the amount of stereotypical behavior you shrink the power of the stereotype.
Eh.... I couldn't agree with this. I don't see the power of the stereotype coming from what you see, since some people will hate or judge regardless, solely because "that person" or "those people" just look different. Besides, who's to say that ALL stereotypical behavior should shrink? Not ALL stereotypes are negative and not ALL stereotypes are just things people can change.... like phisical features.

Quote:

...and that goes for negative behavior in EVERY ethnic group (blacks, whites, latinos, Asians, etc., etc.)

Now here, it shows that you're talking about negative stereotypical behavior. And that's understandable. However, some people just find things to stereotype and turn it into a negative. It happens all the time.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Ignorance and stupidity from those who believe that the actions of FEW discribe the entire race/religion/ethnicity/any other type of group.

Again, ignorance and stuipidity. Though there are some people who do live up to stereotypes, negative or positive, it takes a smart person to know that not ALL people who look the same ARE the same. Unfortunately, there are those who stereotype just out of pure hatred and prejudice, and there's no condeming that.

Read above....

Eh.... I couldn't agree with this. I don't see the power of the stereotype coming from what you see, since some people will hate or judge regardless, solely because "that person" or "those people" just look different. Besides, who's to say that ALL stereotypical behavior should shrink? Not ALL stereotypes are negative and not ALL stereotypes are just things people can change.... like phisical features.

Now here, it shows that you're talking about negative stereotypical behavior. And that's understandable. However, some people just find things to stereotype and turn it into a negative. It happens all the time.
Everything I said was true.

Consider the stereotypes about Japanese people today vs. 1942. Their behavior changed so the stereotypes changed.

The Poles, Germans, Italians, Spanish and the Chinese...ALL of these ethnic groups used to be stereotyped one way and now those old stereotypes have either gone away or changed.

The behavior of these immigrant groups changed as they acclimated themselves to American culture. That is why society looks at them different now.

It should be pretty obvious.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:03 AM
JJG

Quote:
Everything I said was true.

Consider the stereotypes about Japanese people today vs. 1942. Their behavior changed so the stereotypes changed.

The Poles, Germans, Italians, Spanish and the Chinese...ALL of these ethnic groups used to be stereotyped one way and now those old stereotypes have either gone away or changed.

The behavior of these immigrant groups changed as they acclimated themselves to American culture. That is why society looks at them different now.

It should be pretty obvious.
... you're stuck in a bubble, aren't you?

Noticed how you've said more than once, 'these stereotypes have changed'. "Changed" being the key word. It says that they're STILL being stereotyped in some way. And by the way, NONE of those stereotypes have truly gone away. We still have people calling Germans Nazis ya know....

I don't get this. I mean, I don't know how to simplfiy it any other way than what I just posted. Did you just completely ignore or skip over everything I said or what?

Old 05-17-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
... you're stuck in a bubble, aren't you?

Noticed how you've said more than once, 'these stereotypes have changed'. "Changed" being the key word. It says that they're STILL being stereotyped in some way. And by the way, NONE of those stereotypes have truly gone away. We still have people calling Germans Nazis ya know....

I don't get this. I mean, I don't know how to simplfiy it any other way than what I just posted. Did you just completely ignore or skip over everything I said or what?
Please name an ethnic group that is not subject to prejudiced beliefs by members of another ethnic group.

You can't can you?

That's because EVERYBODY JUDGES EVERYONE BY PRECONCEIVED NOTIONS.

This is called stereotyping.

The goal is to change those perceptions about your ethnic group by other groups.

It would be nice to live in a world where we are just human beings but that ain't gonna happen.

So until that miracle occurs the only thing you and others of your "group" (whatever that may be) is to act with self-respect, self-determination and maturity. That way new "stereotypes" will come to fore but they will at least be positive stereotypes (even if they too aren't accurate).

If you and others do that then "racists" and others with negative perceptions about your "group" will have no choice but to change those perceptions.

That is the whole point you are missing.

Its you that may be living in a bubble.

BTW, who still calls Germans Nazi's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies