Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 04:11 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I know if I was president, I'd have a hard time fielding stupid questions as well. "Dear Mister Obamer, I made a series of bad assumptions and risky decisions that may not pan out. Will you saaaave me?"

Anyway, as it was pointed out, his actual words were not:
"There is nothing more important than a government job"

They were:
"There is nothing more important than working on behalf of the American people."
Please explain how "working on behalf of the American people" is not politician pretty speak for "government job".

Bet ya' can't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 04:27 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You know that is going to be a sound bite in someone's campaign against him come Nov. 2012.
Do you really think that a Presidential candidate should think ANYTHING other than:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama
there's nothing more important than working on behalf of the American People.
Because that's what he actually said in the clip.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Do you really think that a Presidential candidate should think ANYTHING other than:

Because that's what he actually said in the clip.
The people who work for Halliburton work on behalf of the American people.

That is probably what Mr. Obama was talking about. The president supports the good folks at Halliburton and ExxonMobil (another company whose employees work on behalf of the American people.)

Old 05-13-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
The people who work for Halliburton work on behalf of the American people.

That is probably what Mr. Obama was talking about. The president supports the good folks at Halliburton and ExxonMobil (another company whose employees work on behalf of the American people.)
Counterpoint: obviously he wasn't.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:51 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Exactly where did he say that in this video clip...

Never mind, not in the mood for lies.
Wait, 1 second he didnt say it, the next its not in the video. Whats the matter, you cant read the link provided where they quoted him and only able to watch videos for news source?

oooh I get it.. if its not in a video, it didnt happen.. I guess Obama didnt kill UBL then either

Old 05-13-2011, 04:53 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Lies and more lies. Do you think lieing and hate will help you in 2012? The people that appeals to never voted for and never will vote for Obama. GOP party of lies and super racist.
Thanks for making me laugh. Let me see, not one Dem has ever lied, maybe in your dreams. Every Dem including Obama tells us nothing but the truth, maybe in a fairy-tale. Is it lieing or lying!

This President, is noted for taking cheap shots, unless their pointed at him, he can't handle the truth

Oh and his HOPE AND CHANGE FIASCO, was nothing but HOT AIR!.

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wait, 1 second he didnt say it, the next its not in the video. Whats the matter, you cant read the link provided where they quoted him and only able to watch videos for news source?

oooh I get it.. if its not in a video, it didnt happen.. I guess Obama didnt kill UBL then either
He didn't say it. We did watch the link. Someone put a headline up on the video and put their own words on there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Counterpoint: obviously he wasn't.
So which is it?

Was Obama saying "there's nothing more important than working on behalf of the American People" in relation to "government workers"?

Or did he say it regarding all American workers?

Old 05-13-2011, 05:10 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
I thoughtI heard the President say that government workers were very important and that they shouldn't be denigrated by some that work in the private sector.
They also shouldn't be paid far more, work less hours and get far more vacation time, and get far more generous benefit packages than the workers in the private sector:

"The average federal worker earned $100,178 in wages and benefits in 2004, which compared to $51,876 for the average private-sector worker, according to U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis data....
http://www.cato.org/pubs/tbb/tbb-0605-35.pdf

For State and Federal workers, "Public sector pay averaged $39.66 per hour in 2009, which was 45 percent higher than the private sector average. The
public sector advantage was 34 percent in wages and 70 percent in benefits." http://www.cato.org/pubs/tbb/tbb-59.pdf

We are fast reaching the point here in NH where a private sector worker has to be a physician with a speciality to earn the same as a cop or firefighter. And the physicians don't get to retire with fat pensions after 20 years of service consisting of "working" 2 days a week (paid for sleep as well as responding to fires). Firefighting used to be a volunteer job, BTW. And the towns that used to have one cop on duty now have at least 20, all of which are out handing out traffic tickets to pay for their own salaries and high-priced toys--a microcosm of Big Government, which employs millions to oversee, micromanage and extract money from the citizens.

If NH went back to the days of volunteer firefighters and cops being restricted to working actual crimes, it might be possible for someone in NH to retire and not have to sell their homes. Similarly, if we didn't allow politicians in Washington to confiscate trillions of working people's dollars to give away every year, we wouldn't have corporate welfare and bailouts, foreign aid, or senseless foreign wars that serve only to funnel money to the military-industrial complex.

Our government at all levels has proven that the larger it gets, the more fiscally irresponsible it will be, and the more destructive to our economy. It has already followed policies that ended our manufacturing base and pretty much wiped out the working Middle Class, and whether we will collapse due to hyperinflation or deflation makes it impossible to even plan to protect ourselves. It should be apparent to all that when the cost of silver and gold stay at record highs despite massive attempts to depress the prices, enough people know that we are in the end-game, and the crisis is going to hit at any time.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
So which is it?

Was Obama saying "there's nothing more important than working on behalf of the American People" in relation to "government workers"?

Or did he say it regarding all American workers?
Spend the rest of your night disecting what that means if you want. I think the sentiments were clear, and it isn't necessarily an either/or statement.

But as I said before, if someone wants a president that doesn't think working on behalf the american people is the most important thing, then their candidate should go ahead and quote the President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies