Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 06:53 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
YOURS is already defined. Ours was defined first! Why do you have to sneak over to my side of the fence and steal my traditional definition? Go get your own institution....."Because it changed it's definition with consulting me either"-------------what kind of statement is that? There was NO change in the dictionary..no one has had enough time yet to insert a new meaning for marriage..or have they had the time to redefine the meaning of sex.

Yah better hurry up and get your pen out and go to every library in the city - dig out the dictionaries and start crossing out the word MARRIAGE and penciling in your own meaning- now get to work..
Didn't your marriage fail? Don't you have estranged or unraised kids all over the place?

It is a good thing you have brought your expertise here to serve as a moral compass.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:09 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
you don't choose to be gay either
Maybe. Maybe not.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:15 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
Here is what can be done to solve the issue over marriage. Make and maintain marriage as being between a man and a woman.

Let the homosexual couples get a status of civil unions, with the same rights or entitlements of "marriage".

That way we don't have to worry about the re-definition of marriage. PERIOD!
Or we can treat all American citizens equally under the law. That means that no one gets a "special" term for their marriage. In this country the legal institution is called marriage, and every citizen should be able to have that legal marriage.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:41 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Or we can treat all American citizens equally under the law. That means that no one gets a "special" term for their marriage. In this country the legal institution is called marriage, and every citizen should be able to have that legal marriage.
Government should not tell me who and how many I can marry.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:47 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Government should not tell me who and how many I can marry.
I agree. If the government is going to have protections, and benefits titled "marriage" then it should be open to all consenting adults. With more than two people the current system would need to be totally re-worked, but once that is accomplished, go for marrying 20 people for all I care.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:54 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmizedFactions View Post
Here is what can be done to solve the issue over marriage. Make and maintain marriage as being between a man and a woman.

Let the homosexual couples get a status of "civil unions", with the same rights or entitlements of "marriage", but don't use the word or term "marriage".
I have a different suggestion for solving the issue over marriage: the gays get marriage and we let heterosexual couples get a status of "civil unions" with the same rights or entitlements of "marriage," but don't use the word or term "marriage."

Quote:
That way we don't have to worry about the re-definition of marriage. PERIOD, and it doesn't have to interfere with religious beliefs.
Huh? What does civil marriage have to do with religion and religious beliefs?

Old 10-07-2013, 08:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oleg Bach

YOURS is already defined. Ours was defined
first! Why do you have to sneak over to my side of the fence and steal my
traditional definition? Go get your own institution....."Because it changed
it's definition with consulting me either"-------------what kind of statement is
that? There was NO change in the dictionary..no one has had enough time yet to
insert a new meaning for marriage..or have they had the time to redefine the
meaning of sex.

Yah better hurry up and get your pen out and go to
every library in the city - dig out the dictionaries and start crossing out the
word MARRIAGE and penciling in your own meaning- now get to work..
What do you mean by "our" marriage and "my" traditional definition? Didn't you say you never actually got married but raised a family together because you had to?

Old 10-07-2013, 08:06 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
It depends on the people. Formal marriage does not insure social status and
respectability. Personally I never married...I did live with the same woman for
almost 30 years and raised four wonderful children....I considered her my
wife.....well second thought....maybe not...She used to say..."I am just your
brood mare"...
Here we go! Then you have the nerve to want to define marriage for everyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies