Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Health Care
The government should provide health care for these people 74 60.66%
Nope, the Free Market™ has priced you out. Health care is a privilege. No Government help for you. 48 39.34%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 07:13 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
You speak as though the top 2% have somehow incurred an obligation to provide nourishment and health care to the poor children.
It's called Noblese Oblige.
Tough ain't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 07:15 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
So, you're basically saying, it's a service for people who can pay for it. Just another way of saying "a privilege for people with money". Just like owning a car is a privilege for people with money.
When did Americans start to feel as if medical care was supposed to be free?

We all know that we need some sort of health insurance.

It's YOUR responsibility to provide for yourself.

Saying that makes me selfish or mean spirited?

Old 05-21-2011, 07:18 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
When did Americans start to feel as if medical care was supposed to be free?

We all know that we need some sort of health insurance.

It's YOUR responsibility to provide for yourself.

Saying that makes me selfish or mean spirited?
I'm sure there are some people who think medical care should be free. I think most people know that nothing is for free.

I believe that many people just want ACCESS to affordable care. If you have that, you don't understand what it's like not to have it. Plenty of people don't. Plenty of people have access to healthcare but it ain't anywhere near affordable. So they go without.

There HAS to be a way to solve this problem of having healthcare available to all in a means that it doesn't take 50% of your take home pay.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:21 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It's called Noblese Oblige.
Tough ain't it?
Do my better off neighbors down the road owe me some riding time on their horses?

After all, they can afford them and I can't.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:22 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
I know all conservatives think that everybody should get health care-- if they can afford it.

But do you simply believe that if you can't afford it, you don't get it. As in health care is a privilege for people with money?

Lets face it, there is going to be a certain segment of population who are going to work the low end jobs all their lives. In a capitalist Free Market™ economy there will always be people at the bottom.

The simple fact is if you make minimum wage and your job doesn't provide employer based health benefits, you will not be able to afford health insurance on the open market. Period. $8.50/hour will get you a 1 bedroom apartment in a poor area, a bike, and just enough food not to starve.

So what do we do with this population if government benefits are not the answer? No healthcare, sad day for you?
Are you serious? You KNOW that ALL conservatives think that? Wow
I think that you are delusional. Like the rest of the lefties. So all conservatives are rich and therefore can afford health care? Oh, that's right. We want grandma to eat dog food.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I guess I need to spell it out for you then...
Poor people eat crap because crap costs less than good food...
the crap is more readily available in poorer neighborhoods than good food...
and because of general ignorance of cooking better food in better ways
(cooking them well and tastily is on yet another level)
Not true.

They're just more convenient.

If people in poor areas were asking for fruits and vegetables instead of crap, the stores would carry fruits and vegetables.

The market follows demand, not the other way around.

Let freedom ring!

Old 05-21-2011, 07:24 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Remember the lunch program that is being put into some school cafeterias to videotape what kids eat as a way to combat obesity? The program is being piloted at schools with a high percentage of poor folks. 2+2=...

Anyway, you're taking what I said and spinning it. As a nurse, you cannot deny that many (NOT all) of the people who are in bad health are in poverty and are using Medicaid. These folks don't care really take very good care of themselves, whether they drink, smoke, are fat, or none of the above. These folks, along with those without insurance who have a catastrophic illness, are the ones causing the huge problems with taxpayers having to pay for people's medical bills.
But as it's just a pilot program, maybe they should test it out at the Sidwell Friends school.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I'm sure there are some people who think medical care should be free. I think most people know that nothing is for free.

I believe that many people just want ACCESS to affordable care. If you have that, you don't understand what it's like not to have it. Plenty of people don't. Plenty of people have access to healthcare but it ain't anywhere near affordable. So they go without.

There HAS to be a way to solve this problem of having healthcare available to all in a means that it doesn't take 50% of your take home pay.
There are clinics in every neighborhood in America.

Some people just don't take care of themselves, or their kids. Or they have a fear of going.

How do you force a person to go to a doctor?

Let freedom ring!

Old 05-21-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Believe me, I know what it entails.
Please explain.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:51 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
As if there's no benefit to for-profit care, at all.

Choose a Category | Health and Wellness | Government of Nova Scotia
So there are wait times...big deal. I'd rather delay a procedure and have coverage rather than file bankruptcy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies