Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 08:18 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
Gay folks can be fired from jobs or evicted from their apartment just because they are gay. Never heard of a landlord kicking somebody out because they were straight or a boss firing somebody because they were straight. Can you please explain this to me since you say we have the same rights and protections?
P.S. Thankfully California has done ONE thing right, in terms of equality for the LGBTQ community... you cannot discriminate in workplaces or housing, and sexual orientation is considered a protected class. Unfortunately that's not the case nationwide, so until the rest of the country adopts these laws, you (gay folks) will never enjoy equal rights.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Great post! It makes you wonder how people can operate in the manner they do sometimes.
Thanks - and I know, huh? Even though I was born & raised in the Jewish culture, my parents have never been religious in nature, and taught us to respect ALL people. The idea of discriminating against one's sexual orientation is mind-boggling to me, and I really feel sorry for people like that.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:21 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Gay folks can be fired from jobs or evicted from their apartment just because they are gay. Never heard of a landlord kicking somebody out because they were straight or a boss firing somebody because they were straight. Can you please explain this to me since you say we have the same rights and protections?
'OLTL' Star Fired for Not Being 'Gay Friendly' (http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/soaps/oltl/news/item/1231-oltl-star-fired-for-not-being-gay-friendly?tmpl=component&print=1 - broken link)

It has happened.

Especially in the entertainment industry/fashion industry. Happens all the time.

I guess here also...http://friendlyatheist.com/2010/07/1...eing-anti-gay/

Old 05-22-2011, 08:25 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Just finished reading the thread and the hate is pretty sickening. For these so called Christians saying nasty things I wonder how God would feel about your behaviors?
Well, since the Rapture has come and gone all of us still here must all be evil and nasty.....

Old 05-22-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
'OLTL' Star Fired for Not Being 'Gay Friendly' (http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/soaps/oltl/news/item/1231-oltl-star-fired-for-not-being-gay-friendly?tmpl=component&print=1 - broken link)

It has happened.

Especially in the entertainment industry/fashion industry. Happens all the time.

I guess here also...Friendly Atheist » University of Illinois Professor Fired for Being Anti-Gay
Not being "gay-friendly" and/or being sued for inequality is hardly the same... they weren't sued or discriminated against for BEING STRAIGHT, as gay people are often subjected to hate for their orientation. So again, can you provide examples of people who've faced discrimination for their straightness? I'm straight myself, and have never experienced such a thing. And I've lived in the Bay Area for 25+ years, so if it doesn't happen here.......

Old 05-22-2011, 09:50 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,230 times
I think you used to wrong media to ask your question. Don't you know that forums (and this one in particular) are a convenient anonymous shelter for bigots and haters of all shades and color? Here, it's perfectly okay to proclaim that homosexuals are subhuman garbage, that black people are not human at all, that Jews are greedy scum, that Hitler did things right, etc.

To me, there is not much of a difference between all these people: They are part of the reason why life is so difficult. They can accept ONLY the status quo, have no idea what it is like to walk in somebody else's shoes, don't give a crap about anyone but themselves, and think their views are the only correct views.

Finally, as you have seen in this case, some of them love to use their distorted christian beliefs to justify their hate. Inadvertently, all they are doing is give christianity a bad name and further the decline of the religion they so adore.

Sorry that you have to live in such unenlightened times. Fortunately, times are changing and even these pathetic mental Neanderthals will, at some point, have to accept the realities of life.

You are always welcome in my life, my country, my state, my city, my house - and you don't have to hide who you are.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:55 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You know what I wish? I wish the judgmental Christians (and anyone else) could experience what homosexuals do, and I bet their tune would change rather quickly... how would they feel if they could be fired for being Christian, or if I told them to keep their lifestyles at home? I really don't like hearing about Jesus all the time, so stop shoving your religion down my throat already! And if somebody is cruel to you, it's your fault for being so open about your Christ-y beliefs! Simply keep the prayers & delusions at home or church, and we won't have a problem anymore.
I don't like hearing Christians talk at me about how I need to accept Jesus as my "Lord and Savior" either, and I certainly don't appreciate Jehova's Witnesses ringing my doorbell early on a Saturday morning...handing out pamphlets and intruding on peoples' private weekend time, telling them who or what to worship, now THAT is "shoving" something in peoples' faces.

To those of you who are saying that gay rights and discrimination are not suitable for a politics/controversies forum, I really have to laugh and point out that it is FAR more appropriate than all the religious dogma I hear coming from people over here...there's a religion forum on CD, and your bible-quoting and preaching should probably be taken there, no? Just sayin....

To the OP...those who hate or judge another human being for reasons like sexual orientation are not worth your time or your words anyway. Any decent human being on this planet would base an opinion about someone on valid things like honesty, intelligence, compassion, and even temperament, not on what they do (or don't do) in the bedroom with another consenting adult .

Old 05-22-2011, 10:23 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
true. i just brought it up because many posters in these forums see us as the 'alien subgroup'.

I think it's funny too

Hmm, I always thought of gays as perverts who preferred unnatural homosexual relations over natural sex.

Maybe if I didn't have one in my family (first cousin), I might think they were an "alien subgroup".

Old 05-22-2011, 11:34 PM

11,253 posts, read 11,028,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
But..........some people still believe that there are actually good and compassionate people out there and still seek them in unlikely places. Good luck to them and good luck to the OP.
Yeah - It's called the "other topics" forum (as well as many other CD forums). People are much nicer and more compassionate over there. I would know, as I spend time there quite often. Like I said, there's a place for everything. The Politics forum is not that place. Never has been. Never will be.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:39 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Yeah - It's called the "other topics" forum (as well as many other CD forums). People are much nicer and more compassionate over there. I would know, as I spend time there quite often. Like I said, there's a place for everything. The Politics forum is not that place. Never has been. Never will be.
Don't tell me that. I've know it for a long time! I agree that the OP would be better off communicating with people, rather than evil reptiles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies