Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:02 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,281,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I don't see a problem setting the ground rules for playing the game.

As far as your graft point, even without setting the boundaries, there would potentially be bribes to gain even more influence and profit.

That's not good but that could be a good topic for another thread. How do we most efficiently find ethically challenged situations (you can make fun of me for that political speak) and then punish violators to send a message?

I'd rather see discussions that focus on that rather than just say let's just get rid of the oversight.
I'm not suggesting we get rid of oversight, but there is a very stark difference between saying

Tv's must be recycled in x manner, or computers must be taken to x facility, and not put into land dumps, and saying that you cant sell here unless you do x, especially considering the producers dont have access to the tv's or computers after they are sold..

This is similar to holding a gun manufacturing company liable because people use the guns for illegal purposes. Or car companies liable because people speed. Once a legal product is sold, then the responsibility with following the laws rest upon those who bought the product. I dont see how holding a manufacturor liable (i.e. revoking permission to sell in a state) because a consumer doesnt recycle their products properly, is an appropriate action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 10:10 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,797,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm not suggesting we get rid of oversight, but there is a very stark difference between saying

Tv's must be recycled in x manner, or computers must be taken to x facility, and not put into land dumps, and saying that you cant sell here unless you do x, especially considering the producers dont have access to the tv's or computers after they are sold..

This is similar to holding a gun manufacturing company liable because people use the guns for illegal purposes. Or car companies liable because people speed. Once a legal product is sold, then the responsibility with following the laws rest upon those who bought the product. I dont see how holding a manufacturor liable (i.e. revoking permission to sell in a state) because a consumer doesnt recycle their products properly, is an appropriate action.

Hard to argue with that.

Can't rep you again, so quick, they say.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:11 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,404,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Picking the winners and losers, is the Progressive way.

Grease the palm and you have your privileges.

Letting the free market decide? Their buddies would not be the big elite status symbols they are.
Well, since those brands are UNKNOWN here anyway, I'd say the market has ALREADY DECIDED - and that decision is the same one the state made. They are just not that available here. If they WANT to be, they CAN be - they just need to do the same thing the OTHER vendors have ALREADY DONE (help us keep our clean state CLEAN).

Ken

Old 05-23-2011, 10:18 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,797,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Well, since those brands are UNKNOWN here anyway, I'd say the market has ALREADY DECIDED - and that decision is the same one the state made. They are just not that available here. If they WANT to be, they CAN be - they just need to do the same thing the OTHER vendors have ALREADY DONE (help us keep our clean state CLEAN).

Ken

Someone is buying them, or they would not be a business with products denied for sale in that State.

Is that your choice, or a states choice to penalize a company, that has no idea what a consumer will do with anything purchased.

Charging the candy company for the wrapper disposal fee.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:37 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,404,091 times
Quote:
Someone is buying them, or they would not be a business with products denied for sale in that State.
Not in any store I've ever seen - and I LIVE here.

Quote:
Charging the candy company for the wrapper disposal fee.
If candy wrappers were made of lead, cadmium and mercury I'd go along with that.

Disposing of electronics is NOT like disposing of a candy wrapper - THAT'S the WHOLE POINT.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies