Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,664,437 times

Advertisements

The glove has been thrown down.
The TSA will cancel flights to/from Texas if HB1937 passes.
This is the no groping rule at Texas airports.

All I can say is "WOW". I didn't know the TSA had that power..the TSA mind you with backing of the DOJ.

The Lone Star Report - DOJ letter: 'TSA would likely be required to cancel any flight ...'
"If HR [sic] 1937 were enacted, the federal government would likely seek an emergency stay of the statute. Unless or until such a stay were granted, TSA would likely be required to cancel any flight or series of flights for which it could not ensure the safety of passengers and crew."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 12:19 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,718,985 times
Hah, written like a mafia boss: "We urge that you consider the ramifications of this bill before casting your vote."

My best wishes to Texas.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:23 PM

45,303 posts, read 26,567,165 times
I'm glad to see Texas taking a stand. Other states need to follow suit.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:23 PM

6,794 posts, read 5,682,156 times
Texans don't take kindly to bullies.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:25 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,355,268 times
Texas should bring assault charges against any Fed groping any "voluntary" traveler.

If both testicles of the Texas Rangers decend, they should be able to protect the public from the Feds.

I guess the Feds could call in the Federal Reserve, but would that kind of escalation be wise during an airport stare down with the Texas Rangers?

Old 05-25-2011, 12:28 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,398,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

All I can say is "WOW". I didn't know the TSA had that power..the TSA mind you with backing of the DOJ.

The Lone Star Report - DOJ letter: 'TSA would likely be required to cancel any flight ...'
"If HR [sic] 1937 were enacted, the federal government would likely seek an emergency stay of the statute. Unless or until such a stay were granted, TSA would likely be required to cancel any flight or series of flights for which it could not ensure the safety of passengers and crew."
LOL at the red states and all their bone-headed doomed-to-fail laws. Guess money's not a problem there, since their paid reps can waste time on this nonsense.

I say let Texas have its way. Leave the airports open. Just have two flights leaving for each destination- one with passengers who have agreed to be searched, one not. We'll see which line is longer!

Make sure the state is responsible for all the extra expense too. I think the "free market" would take care of things right quick.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:30 PM

I dunno how Texas will react. This is one big decision.
I wish they would pass the vote and see what happens but on the other hand think of how this would effect people and airlines. It's a lose/lose for Texas no matter which way they vote IMHO.

The Texas bill only talks about grabbing "the private parts"..they can still do pat downs, just not invasive ones. I guess the TSA wants their Texas T&A bad enough they would threaten to shut Texas off from any airspace travel.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:30 PM

31,296 posts, read 20,798,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

The part I like about this is that it's another challenge to the power of the feds.

Beginning with our worst president in history (Lincoln), power has shifted dramatically from the states to the feds. Maybe now some people are realizing how far out of control this power grab has become. Maybe other states will follow the lead of Texas, AZ, FL and several others who are challenging the power of the feds on a variety of issues.

If more states did this, we might reverse the trend.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
LOL at the red states and all their bone-headed doomed-to-fail laws. Guess money's not a problem there, since their paid reps can waste time on this nonsense.

I say let Texas have its way. Leave the airports open. Just have two flights leaving for each destination- one with passengers who have agreed to be searched, one not. We'll see which line is longer!

Make sure the state is responsible for all the extra expense too. I think the "free market" would take care of things right quick.
Do you even understand what the bill is about ? It's not removing searches you know.

How's about you read the bill and then decide rather than just jump on the lib bandwagon and gloat.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:32 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,861,828 times
District of Texas United States Attorneys, would like to advise you of the significant leagal and practical problems that will be created if the bill becomes law.

Shot down by an attorney that can't spell "legal". That's a hilarious typo.

(Yeah, I know it's just a typo on the web page. Still, was funny.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies