Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 03:39 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,103,665 times

Advertisements

Another GOP "All hat, no cattle" humongous failure. More infighting and more frivolous crap for headlines, knowing they're gonna bail at the first sign of push back.

Quote:
"Did you all see that on the floor?" Patrick told reporters. "He's out there talking to Senators. This was a 'Come and Take It' moment for the state of Texas. I had my green sheet, I had 30 people with me, I go to the floor, and while I'm on the floor, the Lieutenant comes down and works against the bill."
Patrick told the Capitol Press Corps members on the Senate floor that it wasn't only a letter that swayed Dewhurst, but also TSA representatives.
Patrick said "two TSA people" came to the back hall of the Senate chamber earlier today to warn the Senate not to adopt the bill.
"They told me," Patrick said, "if we pass this bill, this could close down all the airports in Texas."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

20,868 posts, read 23,588,288 times
I think TSA should pull out and let everyone board the airplane with no x-rays or checks, I believe thats what repubs want right? lets see what happens.

10,854 posts, read 9,313,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
I don't have to read the bill to know it's unconstitutional on it's face. Texas doesn't have authority to tell federal employees how to do their jobs.

There are already laws on the books covering unlawful touching. If you Texans think a TSA agent's "grope" is an assault, it's an assault under your existing state law, which WOULD apply in that case. All the "victim" has to do is raise a criminal complaint. I thought you guys were opposed to unnecessary laws.

I'm a retired cop. Over the course of a 30 year career I conducted thousands of "Terry" searches in my career (frisks and pat-downs). I never "groped" or "assaulted" anyone, nor did I generate a single complaint based on a pat-down.

I've been subjected to pat-downs by TSA agents. They have a difficult job to do. We entrust our safety to their thoroughness and professionalism. Why would the State of Texas want to make their jobs harder, or cause them to hesitate, and do a less-effective search? To preserve someone's modesty? Sorry, that ship sailed when GWB launched his GWOT, and that dude on a plane hid a bomb behind his *******.

If I was a resident of Texas, I would hope my government had better uses of my tax-payer dollars, than to churn out unneccessay legislation that any lawyer could have told them was never going to be enforced.
But damn it sure plays well with the Tea Party anti-federal government crowd.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:40 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I'm sure Rick Perry will encourage all Texans to pray for an answer as he is known to do.
Pray for an answer? Nah, he just called Dewhurst and the rest of the GOP to work against the bill.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:41 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,706,273 times
You underestimate Texas, once again.

The worst thing you could do in a fight.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:54 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,393,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Do you even understand what the bill is about ? It's not removing searches you know.

How's about you read the bill and then decide rather than just jump on the lib bandwagon and gloat.
Happy, out of a sense of fair play, I tried to read the gul-danged bill. But I can't find it. It is variously referred to as HB 1937 or HB 1938. But neither of those bills have anything to do with the TSA.

Do you know the correct citation, or do you have a link?

Thanks...

Old 05-25-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Happy, out of a sense of fair play, I tried to read the gul-danged bill. But I can't find it. It is variously referred to as HB 1937 or HB 1938. But neither of those bills have anything to do with the TSA.

Thanks...

Google did pretty good...

Texas Legislature Online - 81(R) Text for HB 1937

Oh wait...

Nothing about TSA

Old 05-25-2011, 05:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,583,836 times
Quote:

Thanks...
Here ya go Gurbie.

Texas Legislature Online - 82(R) History for HB 1938

Old 05-25-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
The glove has been thrown down.
The TSA will cancel flights to/from Texas if HB1937 passes.
This is the no groping rule at Texas airports.

All I can say is "WOW". I didn't know the TSA had that power..the TSA mind you with backing of the DOJ.

The Lone Star Report - DOJ letter: 'TSA would likely be required to cancel any flight ...'
"If HR [sic] 1937 were enacted, the federal government would likely seek an emergency stay of the statute. Unless or until such a stay were granted, TSA would likely be required to cancel any flight or series of flights for which it could not ensure the safety of passengers and crew."

The federal government is attempting to deprive the citizens of Texas of their constitutional rights under the Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution and Article 1, Section 9, of the Texas Constitution. If we do not stand up for our citizens in the face of this deprivation of their personal rights and dignity, who will?

Old 05-25-2011, 05:45 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,393,927 times
Quote:
Got it, Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies