Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:19 AM

315 posts, read 366,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
And if it costs us a generation of children who grow up confused about their identity due to this social experiment project?
How exactly is this going to cause them to grow up confused.
"So you see, some people are a different gender than the one they're born into."
"Am I a different gender?"
"Do you think you are?"
"No."
"Then probably not."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 11:20 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitMage View Post
How exactly is this going to cause them to grow up confused.
"So you see, some people are a different gender than the one they're born into."
"Am I a different gender?"
"Do you think you are?"
"No."
"Then probably not."

Old 05-26-2011, 11:25 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
If this program saves one precious child from suicide or prevents one precious child from becoming a cruel predatory bully then it will be worth every penny it costs.
Amen to that.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Again, with the nit-picking of words.

The kids seem to get it. I wonder why the adults don't.

Quote:
On Monday morning, children in Cynthia Bagby's kindergarten class discussed whether there were, in fact, "girl colors" and "boy colors." Some giggled when Joel Baum, the trainer from Gender Spectrum, read "My Princess Boy," a nonfiction children's book by Cheryl Kilodavis about her son who liked to wear dresses and a tiara.
"That's a funny boy!" one boy said.
After the story was over, Baum and Stone asked the children how the boy must have felt when people in the book laughed at him for being different.
"It may be unusual, but we don't want to laugh at people, and we don't want to make them feel bad," Baum said.
"Clothes are clothes," he added.
"And people are people," a girl chimed in.
Oakland elementary school teaches children about gender - San Jose Mercury News

Old 05-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
And if it costs us a generation of children who grow up confused about their identity due to this social experiment project?
Only if you believe that gender identity is a learned behavior could you possibly believe that this program would lead to confusion.

Children are confused now because they get messages from people like the poster above who seems to imply that s/he would 'cure' his/her child(ren) of any 'deviant' thinking. It is these poor children who grow up confused and conflicted and/or become the bulllies who make other childrens' lives miserable.

As the song goes:

"You've got to be taught
Before it's too late
Before you are 6 or 7 or 8
To hate all the people
your relatives hate
You've got to be carefully taught "

yeah, I understand the opposition: people just want to keep protecting their own little fiefdoms of hatred.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:59 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Quote:
It won't.

If a kid is gender confused, then they're already gender confused.

That stuff CAN and WILL start young.

The kids who AREN'T gender confused will not magically BECOME gender confused.

There's literally no harm in this program other than to counteract the hatred of the parents to what they falsely believe are "deviants" by clinging onto "traditional values" and cavemen agendas.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
If a kid is gender confused, then they're already gender confused.
Pretty much that. I knew when I was seven (although I didn't have the words for it then). I've had friends tell me their earliest memories are wishing they were a boy or girl.

A program like this might have saved me a lot of years of self-loathing and fear and depression, actually.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:15 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
[quote=TigerLily24;19321124]Only if you believe that gender identity is a learned behavior could you possibly believe that this program would lead to confusion.

"While Freud's theory was about biological drives, his theory about boys and girls was based on their perceptions about their bodies. Thus for him, the acquisition of a gender identity was a totally psychological process, in which children are born psychosexually neutral then learn to identify with their same sex parent."

About Gender: Freud and Psychoanalysis.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:30 PM

[quote=maja;19321589]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Only if you believe that gender identity is a learned behavior could you possibly believe that this program would lead to confusion.

"While Freud's theory was about biological drives, his theory about boys and girls was based on their perceptions about their bodies. Thus for him, the acquisition of a gender identity was a totally psychological process, in which children are born psychosexually neutral then learn to identify with their same sex parent."

Maybe you should find something more recent that Freud. He may have been the father of modern psychotherapy, but a lot has changed since his time.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Seriously?

So by this reasoning, any child raised without their same-sex parent would learn to identify with the parent of the opposite sex and what, 'become' gay?

Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies