Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Mugwump?
I am a mugwump. 0 0%
I was one, but I decided to go back. 0 0%
I thought of being one, but haven't. 0 0%
I never considered being a mugwump. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:34 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,554,984 times

Advertisements

My encyclopedic dictionary sits on its stand on my bookcase, next to my jewelry box. As I was picking out today's earrings, I found this term on the upper right corner of the page, and read the definition. (I pasted the one from online dictionaries, below.)

So, I've determined I am a mugwump, though my exit from the Republican party began when I actually had the opportunity to vote ('74), and discovered what being a Republican actually meant.

I wondered how many of you are mugwumps, too. I wonder why you decided to make that split. And did you return, or have you regretted your choice?

Maybe, if you don't get side-tracked and make this a flame-fest, the moderators will let this blossom into some very interesting conversations! (I can always hope!)

Be well, be happy, and remember in 10,000 years this won't even be a memory.

Google:
noun
 /ˈməgˌwəmp/ mugwumps, plural
  1. A person who remains aloof or independent, esp. from party politics
  2. A Republican who in 1884 refused to support James G. Blaine, the Republican nominee for president

wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
  • someone who bolted from the Republican Party (during the U.S. presidential election of 1884)
  • a neutral or uncommitted person (especially in politics)
(en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mugwump: An independent neutral politician
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies