Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 09:39 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,742,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Weird, isn't it?

Jada Pinkett?
Beyonce?
Halle Barry?

My junior high was prbably about 85-90% African American. There were plenty of attractive and downright beautiful African American girls and guys. No Hollywood stars, just some very beautiful girls. There were some who weren't so pretty, too. Same with the Whites.

The magazine deserves every bit of backlash it receives. IN fact, I hope they go out of business for being so stupid as to print such garbage.

Were they beautiful to you because they attempted to look "white" by applying hair straiteners and makup instead of allowing their natural features to be on display?

Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,542,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Also, I know plenty of African Americans who are unhappy with the way they look and when they have money, (ala Nene from the Real Housewives or any of the Jacksons), they most certainly have cosmetic surgery to alter their appearance. I think the issue is not having enough money to change one's appearance, NOT that they have higher self-esteem.
Yes b/c non African-America people don't pay to tan and use tons of makeup and get lip and butt injections. You might want to google "whooty"

Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,863,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
A Gabrielle Union can not possibly be more beautiful than a Claire Danes
Gabrielle Union, you mean the girl who uses relaxer in her hair and wears hair extensions in her movies? That girl?

Old 05-31-2011, 09:41 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,558,852 times
Quote:
Also, I know plenty of African Americans who are unhappy with the way they look and when they have money, (ala Nene from the Real Housewives or any of the Jacksons), they most certainly have cosmetic surgery to alter their appearance. I think the issue is not having enough money to change one's appearance, NOT that they have higher self-esteem.

I seriously doubt that you personally know any Black people well enough to know what we do. Especially considering the fact that you used the examples of Nene and the Jacksons as your examples.

I am Black. I come from the Black upper middle class and cosmetic surgery is not very common amongst most in the Black community. We do not have the epidemic of the need to alter our appearance as Whites do: Botox injections, restylane lip plumping, breast augementation, lip suction, tanning, face lifts.....these are all White obsessions.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:43 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,558,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Gabrielle Union, you mean the girl who uses relaxer in her hair and wears hair extensions in her movies? That girl?
Gabrielle Union has stated that she does not have a relaxer and she does have naturally long hair. Again, we have another attempt to deny the beauty of Black women.

Gabrielle Union's Natural Hair PICS | Hello Beautiful

Lockerz.com .:. Gabrielle Union's Photos - No weave, no relaxer, no hot comb...

Old 05-31-2011, 09:46 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,863,597 times
Quote:
I seriously doubt that you personally know any Black people well enough to know what we do. Especially considering the fact that you used the examples of Nene and the Jacksons as your examples.

I am Black. I come from the Black upper middle class and cosmetic surgery is not very common amongst most in the Black community. We do not have the epidemic of the need to alter our appearance as Whites do: Botox injections, restylane lip plumping, breast augementation, lip suction, tanning, face lifts.....these are all White obsessions.
It's a good thing black women don't spend millions of dollars a year on things like hair extensions and other hair altering products, hell Chris Rock recently released an entire 2 hour feature film about the subject which clearly shows that black woman are obsessed with beauty and aren't as secure with their looks as you keep trying to insist on.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:47 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,475,982 times
Quote:
So, basically, every single post in this forum from men have said they prefer a curvy, light-skinned girl who has European facial features. Not one person has said they prefer kinky hair, really big lips, and a wide nose. You know, the stereotypical facial features of black women when they're not mixed with any other race.

Looks like despite all the hullabaloo, the article is correct in its conclusion.
You must have missed my posts because guess what...I prefer kinky hair, big lips, and a wide nose. I also love a partner with curves. IMO Black is beautiful. I guess I'm not the most representative of the white population given I have black people on my side of the family and I married into a predominantly black family (mixed white and Puerto Rican but mostly black) and for a long time I was the only white person in my household. I'm sure growing up around black people has had an effect on my preferences. But then again I know that I'm not the only white person who finds a lot of black people incredibly beautiful and sexy, as is evidenced by the fact that four people on my side of the family have married or dated black people long-term and the fact there are numerous other interracial relationships and marriages within our country and mixed children walking around.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:48 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,337,674 times
Quote:

um, no. Blacks are not going to want the same surgeries as white women because

1) whites use botox, restylane, etc. to look YOUNGER. Most black women aged 30-65 years old all look 35 years old because the melatonin in their skin protects them from sun damage. Black women look younger naturally.

2) LOL at the idea of a black woman wanting to get a lip augmentation to make her lips even bigger

3) Further LOL at tanning. Black women just have to go into the direct sunlight for 30 minutes to get 1 to 2 shades darker

What black women do is get nose jobs and spend thousands of dollars on their hair and obsess over blemishes on their skin. They care about looking "whiter" and take drastic measures to alter their appearance, they just have difference preferences on what's important to them than white women.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:50 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,542,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
It's a good thing black women don't spend millions of dollars a year on things like hair extensions and other hair altering products, hell Chris Rock recently released an entire 2 hour feature film about the subject which clearly shows that black woman are obsessed with beauty and aren't as secure with their looks as you keep trying to insist on.
Yeah cause women of other races don't do the same?

Old 05-31-2011, 09:51 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,337,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
You must have missed my posts because guess what...I prefer kinky hair, big lips, and a wide nose. I also love a partner with curves. IMO Black is beautiful. I guess I'm not the most representative of the white population given I have black people on my side of the family and I married into a predominantly black family (mixed white and Puerto Rican but mostly black) and for a long time I was the only white person in my household. I'm sure growing up around black people has had an effect on my preferences. But then again I know that I'm not the only white person who finds a lot of black people incredibly beautiful and sexy, as is evidenced by the fact that four people on my side of the family have married or dated black people long-term and the fact there are numerous other interracial relationships and marriages within our country and mixed children walking around.
I just found it funny and telling that all the men in this thread, it their attempt to defend black women, proceeded to post pics of women with European facial features and that these women while mixed, had predominately more "white" features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies