Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 03:46 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

Back in the day there were night clubs owned by black businessmen. Some nicknamed these clubs the brown bag clubs. To get into the club, the bouncer or doorman would hold a brown paper bag up to your skin, if you were darker than the brown paper bag then you weren't allowed in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Your in-laws if they are older, may very well have issues with getting dark. Lots of black people have a light skin is better than dark skin attitude. My grandmother and mother are VERY dark. My grandmother especially was teased mercilessly as a child and throughout her life had an issue with being dark and went to great lengths to not get darker or sit in the sun. My mom has this same issue to a lesser degree. She doesn't like to get dark either because she thinks she is dark enough. This sort of attitude about dark black hues is starting to wane but it is still around. But even though my mom doesn't like to get dark in the summer, she thinks she is very beautiful and will tell you that.

Both of them had natural hair and contrary to what people say, in my own experience, natural hair is easier to maintain than relaxed hair. You don't have to go through the relaxer process, you don't even have to comb it if you condition correctly. I only "do" my and my daughter's hair once a week. I don't have to mess with blow dryers or curling irons. It is much easier.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:50 AM

674 posts, read 698,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

Lastly, what really hurts African women is their hair. The Afro is just a terrible look for a woman. It makes me sad that people are even born that way honestly. It really isn't fair.
Your opinion.
Lots of people (including me and my husband) love our Afro hair. It is the "proof" of blackness as no one else can claim it.

To be honest I feel the same way about light skin and thin lips. Being able to see veins through skin is not a good look.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:55 AM

674 posts, read 698,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
On the other hand, I've noticed that my Ethiopian relatives have a much more positive outlook on black beauty, which I'm guessing is because they grew up in a totally different environment where black is the norm.

It makes a world of a difference. I am Ghanaian and blue-black (probably the darkest you can get) and I always got plenty of love where I'm from. Dark skin traditionally was preferable. There are stories of white people when they first arrived. People called them monsters because of their long stringy hair and deathly pale (even worse than the Arabs) skin. We thought they would eat us.
Now fast forward a couple hundred years....some West African women are bleaching their skin and plopping wigs on their heads...

Old 05-31-2011, 05:08 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
If "black is beautiful", why do so many black men treat their women so poorly?

Old 05-31-2011, 05:11 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
The problem with that poster's argument is they're thinking micro while the evolutionary psychologist is talking macro.

Also, if the EP had not interjected color no one would be complaining, ie if he stated, "the more beautiful women tend to have symmetrical faces, well shaped and firm breast and healthy symmetrical waste of good child bearing width." No one would have complained or argued. Now throw in statistics of races and you have to come to the conclusion that one race tends to fit closer into that box while another will be the farthest away.

It leads me to believe he purposely interjected race to gain attention. If you read some of his other articles, some are just as bad while others not so much.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
The world has a lot of beautiful women of every race, creed or color. Maybe this guy should have spent more time girl watching than babbling into his PC.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:06 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
That was a pretty stupid question and assumption, do you know how all black women are treated. The hate blacks on cd is really something weird.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:09 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
There are many women of all races that are both good-looking and that get treated poorly by their husbands or boyfriends.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:13 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Excellent post!

I find this to be very true. My White friends are NEVER satisfied with their weight....EVER. They always "need" to lose another 5 or 10lbs. In their minds, "something" is always wrong with them that they need to "fix".

Something else that I have always been aware of with non-Black women is that they have literally taken the "black women are less attractive" nonsense to heart. I have always had some friends who are non-Black and I have noticed that if I receive more male attention (but especially if the male is their race), it is somehow an "insult" to them (because they are automatically supposed to be more attractive) This scenario has repeated itself an untold number of times starting from high school through college and even now. It's as if the acknowledgment of my attractiveness as a Black woman is an indictment against theirs. Very sad.
When some black women consider things like obesity and unhealthy eating as something to be proud of then it makes perfect sense for a healthy person to see it as an insult.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:19 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
I'm still looking for that green woman that Capt. Kirk had!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies