Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:23 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,336,678 times

Advertisements

I'm a Gen X who relates much more to Gen Y, in general. I do wish BB would hurry up and retire already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 07:25 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,925,543 times
basically it comes down to the fact that gen x and y are the product of boomers...

the problem in the work force is many boomers need to retire, but can't, which keeps openings for jobs unavailable for many younger applicants. It is a double edged sword though, because many sectors will hire on someone young, pay them 40k per year rather than hire someone with lots of experience and worth 80K..

It comes down to the fact that there are just sooo many boomers.. when they retire and enter old age we are going to need a social safety net.. because we gen x and yers can't afford or find the time to take care of them in between our 3 jobs.. it's really going to be a nightmare and a sad day to watch so many that had so much and so many opportunities and to not only squander it all but also all of their children and grand children's potential. Bad decisions, bad policies, bad economics and bad politics over the past 30 years have ruined this country.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:28 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,327,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I'm a Gen X who relates much more to Gen Y, in general. I do wish BB would hurry up and retire already.
If you don't mind me asking though, what year were you born in?

Gen X were born from 1961-1982, while the Millennials were born from 1982-2003.

Those born around the late 1970s and early (and maybe the mid) 1980s area can share some characteristics of both generational type.

The Xers born in the late 70s and early 80s would techinically be "late wave" Xers and the Mills would be "early wave".

Old 05-31-2011, 07:29 PM

724 posts, read 1,687,542 times
I wrote a post in the work forum on how the opposite was true, that the younger generation had much harder workers in it and that the older generation had lots of lazy old farts in it and the response was pure hatred from the BB's, my post got deleted and I was banned for 3 days from the forum.

The bottom line is the younger generation has to be much more competitive to simply get into the position that once they are there their work ethic and higher education levels lead them to vastly out-perform the boomers which leads to boomer resentment.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:39 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,364,161 times
I'm a boomer on the verge of retirement and i love my gen X/Y kids more than anything in the world.

I love em so much they can come and visit me in (hopefully;someday) Arizona any time they want. They can even leave the grandkids (gen Z? AA?) with me!!!!

Old 05-31-2011, 07:43 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,925,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
I wrote a post in the work forum on how the opposite was true, that the younger generation had much harder workers in it and that the older generation had lots of lazy old farts in it and the response was pure hatred from the BB's, my post got deleted and I was banned for 3 days from the forum.

The bottom line is the younger generation has to be much more competitive to simply get into the position that once they are there their work ethic and higher education levels lead them to vastly out-perform the boomers which leads to boomer resentment.
interesting... in my experience I have noticed that boomers are punctual and reliable for showing up, but lack getting everything done in awork day.. and sometimes half-a$$ things to be done on time. Gen x and y on the other hand are not punctual, are terrible for calling in or not showing up but when they do they try to do everything just right that not everything gets done. I notice a lot of OCD in younger people..

Old 05-31-2011, 07:46 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,327,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I notice a lot of OCD in younger people..
Yes, I have that myself too. Everything has to be neat and in its place for me, I'm afraid of using public toilets and when I write a paper, my handwriting HAS to look neat or else, it bothers me.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:49 PM

717 posts, read 900,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
If you don't mind me asking though, what year were you born in?

Gen X were born from 1961-1982, while the Millennials were born from 1982-2003.

Those born around the late 1970s and early (and maybe the mid) 1980s area can share some characteristics of both generational type.

The Xers born in the late 70s and early 80s would techinically be "late wave" Xers and the Mills would be "early wave".
This right here just goes to show how arbitrary and needlessly nit-picky the defining of these generations is.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:53 PM

724 posts, read 1,687,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
interesting... in my experience I have noticed that boomers are punctual and reliable for showing up, but lack getting everything done in awork day.. and sometimes half-a$$ things to be done on time. Gen x and y on the other hand are not punctual, are terrible for calling in or not showing up but when they do they try to do everything just right that not everything gets done. I notice a lot of OCD in younger people..
This is accurate about the boomers. They like to show up between 6 and 7am and then just kind of coast all day long. Then, they like to say that others who show up later but who also work a full day are not working as hard, as if simply showing up early is making them productive. LOL. Not everyone has to wake up at 5am to pee.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:54 PM

42,000 posts, read 75,335,663 times
How many stereotypes can we fit into one thread?

Intergenerational mistrust and disdain is as old as the hills. Why is it such a BFD all of a sudden?

Y'all need to lighten up ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies