Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:08 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,332,151 times

Advertisements

The Gen Y'ers are the grand kids of the Baby Boomers so of course grandparents feel their grand kids are slackers. As a Gen X'er (well, at 35 I'm on the tail edge of Gen X) I have to agree; Gen Y'ers are slackers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 09:26 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,251,335 times
Although there are hard workers in the younger generations, people like me (very tail end of the Baby Boom) are constantly faced with the realization that when we had jobs like waitress and bartender and clerk in a high-volume store, we hustled and were incredibly efficient and processed at least 20 transactions in the time it takes the modern worker to do even one. We were horrified when lines formed and worked at lightening-speed to get each customer served and on their way without delay. For some reason, modern workers couldn't care less how long customers have to wait, and they wouldn't hustle even if the place were on fire.

In particular, my spouse and I recently went to a famous large club that has live bands and makes its money off of drink sales. Both of us had worked there summers while in college. At that time, when a drink was 1/3 down, the waitress was expected to ask if you wanted another one, and have it ready before you swigged down the last of the drink in front of you.

My, times have changed. Though they had twice as much staff, we were amazed at the time it took to flag down a waitress to get our initial beers, and during the 3 hours we were there, we managed one refill after about an hour of empty glasses caused us to go hunt a waitress down. We noticed that the waitresses moved slowly, spent much time chatting with co-workers at the bar, and did every task (take a drink order, walk to give it to the bartender, wait and chat while it was filled, then deliver it) consecutively rather than grouping tasks (take 10 orders, fill them all, deliver them all) as would be far more efficient. Much of the time there wasn't a waitress in sight, meaning they were hidden in the back--a firing offense in our time, since there is no reason for a waitress to be there there.

We know from experience that modern service workers are a gross parody of slow-motion service, compared to what we provided when in those jobs (and we got paid minimum-wage too, so it wasn't that). I was horrified to see customers in lines and worked as fast and efficiently as possible, and certainly never took a break while there was still a line. Yet in the years since, I can't tell you how many times I've waited in long lines only to have the cashier simply say "break time" and walk away, leaving me to go stand in another endless line. Or the times that there were 3 or 4 people behind the counter, but only one "low" enough to have to wait on customers, while the others chatted and pretended to clean or fill napkin holders.

This is why people like me think, in general, later generations simply don't put in the effort we did. When we do find those who do, we reward them with very large tips and praise. And BTW, as an engineering student, I suspect you are the exception to the rule. Very few students choose such a demanding field, when every other field is much less demanding. Just make sure you get well compensated for your work, because one of the drawbacks of our generation is that we WERE willing to give everything to an employer and ask nothing in return--and with the advent of the Robber-Baron CEOs, engineers have been reduced to working 80 hour weeks for NO additional pay, and getting paid about as much as the bean-counter "business majors" that could sleep through class and still pass.

Don't let the business world take advantage of future engineers like it did our generation.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:28 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,047,379 times
I'm a boomer,carpenter and times are hard. some young carps gave up and went back to school to live on student loans rather than fight and find work. one slacker even talked a great young carp I have been mentoring into this BS gravey train and his debt is mounting fast as he borrows for living expenses on top of tuition. Too bad I got enough work for both of us but he has to go to class, for what? business classes? I am self employed and teach him that free! freaking spoiled chickens.these dudes have no future they are chickens that need gov loans to even eat

Old 05-30-2011, 09:34 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,234,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Yeah, I was going to say something along the lines that all generations basically seem to hate one another. There's a poster on here who says really terrible things about gen X but I think he's a Gen Yer because I get the impression he's in his early 20's. But it does seem Gen X gets the brunt of the abuse.
It actually cycles more than you think. The Lost generation (George Burns generation) was neglected as much as Gen-X was, yet the following generation (GI's) were loved.

The book Generations by Strauss and Howe is fascinating regarding these cycles.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:45 PM

782 posts, read 1,110,536 times
That $11.00 plus dollar an hour journeyman electrician UNION job also had $7-$10 dollars per hour of free paid health insurance...no co-pays..everything was covered and it was free. I had a baby on one of those insurance plans and didn't pay a dime for anything...nada, zilch, nothing. Also a retirement plan...that is paying for their cushy retirement today. If you had stayed in that factory job for more then a summer you too could have a cushy retirement if it hasn't already been looted by the beauracrats (and yes, I know I prolly spelled that wrong, but I'm tired. )

Old 05-30-2011, 09:51 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,047,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
That $11.00 plus dollar an hour journeyman electrician UNION job also had $7-$10 dollars per hour of free paid health insurance...no co-pays..everything was covered and it was free. I had a baby on one of those insurance plans and didn't pay a dime for anything...nada, zilch, nothing. Also a retirement plan...that is paying for their cushy retirement today. If you had stayed in that factory job for more then a summer you too could have a cushy retirement if it hasn't already been looted by the beauracrats (and yes, I know I prolly spelled that wrong, but I'm tired. )
yeah everything for free thats the problem. nothing is free except welfare

Old 05-30-2011, 10:31 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,808,486 times
CALLING ALL SCAPEGOATS!! So long as people obsess blaming other generations st elsewhere for the mess, the real perpetrators continue on unabated.

So, folks, shall I sell you 500 different brands of scapegoat harnesses to suit your egos, or shall we get to work in earnest?

Old 05-30-2011, 10:39 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Well of course .. Afterall, we built all of the stuff you guys seem to take so for granted .. I kind of wonder, if we had been lazy, what you guys would be doing about now .. oh I know .. you would be watching 3 UHF channels on TV, or listening to AM Radio ..

Is it going to take another world war for you guys to get off your butts and build something worthwhile?
The above post reminds me of an experience I had when we were visiting my DH's alma mater, Caltech, last year for his 40th reunion. We were doing a dorm tour, and we came to the library/lounge area, and one of DH's classmates said to the kids in the library, "We invented everything you're using" (computers, Ipods, etc). I thought it was funny.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:10 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,808,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
It actually cycles more than you think. The Lost generation (George Burns generation) was neglected as much as Gen-X was, yet the following generation (GI's) were loved.
I walked to school neck deep in snow, uphill both coming and going, even in July. Keepin that snow machine going was grueling. "It'll give you character" they said.

This song still makes me laugh.

YouTube - ‪Linda Ronstadt ~ Poor Poor Pitiful Me‬‏

And this song is as true as the day written.

YouTube - ‪Billie Holiday God Bless The Child‬‏

Old 05-31-2011, 12:00 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,234,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I walked to school neck deep in snow, uphill both coming and going, even in July. Keepin that snow machine going was grueling. "It'll give you character" they said.

This song still makes me laugh.

YouTube - ‪Linda Ronstadt ~ Poor Poor Pitiful Me‬‏

And this song is as true as the day written.

YouTube - ‪Billie Holiday God Bless The Child‬‏

Not sure what the point of your post is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies