Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:56 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,585,527 times

Advertisements

It isn't just about GDP. You also have to be a high income country and Brazil has not reached that point. High income means a per capita GDP of around $25000. I think the G8 should be expanded by 1 to include South Korea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 01:30 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,792,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
I think the G8 isn't very representative anymore and will soon be discarded off. The G20 will become the main forum sooner than later. Well, it allready is, as a matter of fact.
Many of those international bodies are outdated, for instance the UN security council...
But sooner or later Brazil, India, etc. will be so powerful that they can boycott or ignore anything the traditional industrialized countries want or decide. Maybe they should even form their own institutions.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:23 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,350,764 times
Brazil is still too poor to be in the G Group. I don't even think Russia should be in that club. South Korea should replace Russia imo.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:25 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,361,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardobrazil View Post
I've been thinking of this for a long time. I can't see why aren't we on G-8 already. Our efforts to make Brazil a better place have taken us this far. We left Italy behind, and our income is increasing as same percentage levels as richest countries. I know we do have lots of standing problems, but I think G-8 should move its seats and offer at least 2 of them to China and Brazil, who are helping to get World's economy back on their feet.

If Brazil is so great why are your countrymen flocking here illegally by the thousands? The U.S. is helping Brazil with remittances siphoned out of our economy by illegal laliens and a large loan for your oil industry from Obozo. As is the case with most countries without U.S. dollars Brazil would be going nowhere.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:30 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,876,922 times
The obvious reason for mass immigration of Brazillians to this country is the opportunity to rise from the very botton to a bit better is greater in this country. Having a population of 190 million with 180 million of them peseant poor is Brazil's greatest problem.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:38 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,493,839 times
Quote:
Originallly posted by Rick Roma
If Brazil is so great why are your countrymen flocking here illegally by the thousands? The U.S. is helping Brazil with remittances siphoned out of our economy by illegal laliens and a large loan for your oil industry from Obozo. As is the case with most countries without U.S. dollars Brazil would be going nowhere.
Oh, boy, an ugly American. Could you make a post without slamming someone else's country? Really? I haven't even heard about illegal Brazilian immigrants.

Anyway, to the OP, your question will soon be moot, I think, because the G20 will (or already has?) replace the G8 as the new elite economic club. As your country, India, China and others emerge, it's only inevitable.

And kudos to Brazil. It's always cool to see a country improve itself. I hope you guys keep it up.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:14 AM

597 posts, read 1,300,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Brazil is still too poor to be in the G Group. I don't even think Russia should be in that club. South Korea should replace Russia imo.
Hi, Insane Traveler

Your words show me you are an "insane" really, and you don't know nothing about world economy and about Brazil.
You should study and research more and not be swayed by "biased media".

Old 06-06-2011, 07:13 AM

597 posts, read 1,300,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
http://www.wickedlocal.com/framingha...ss/x1059360913

I understand your comments, you don't like Brazilians. I don't know why.
Perhaps because the are where you live (Boston) has many Brazilians living.
However, if you search you'll see Brazilians, who lives in Boston area, are not parasites and contribute to the local economy. (see link above)
If search more, you'll know how the Brazilians imigrants departure (back to Brasil) affected the economy in many other places near Boston.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:37 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,792,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The obvious reason for mass immigration of Brazillians to this country is the opportunity to rise from the very botton to a bit better is greater in this country. Having a population of 190 million with 180 million of them peseant poor is Brazil's greatest problem.
I am surprised at such a statement coming from you, it is simply wrong. Read this detailed description on poverty in Brazil.
Social issues in Brazil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There is no mass immigration from Brazil to the US.

Sometimes I get the impression that Americans are trying to belittle Brazil as they don't like the idea that there will be a new economic giant in South America.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:09 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,585,527 times
No one is belittling Brazil. The fact is on a per capita basis Brazil is still considered a developing country. The country is a economic giant but a majority of people are still poor. Brazil needs to work on increasing domestic consumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies