Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:20 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times

Advertisements

I noticed that this topic has not been bought up on C-D. We're about 6 months into the Republican controlled congress, the same congress that, complained about the millions in Earmarks for pet projects when the Democrats were in control, surprisingly, Earmarks are still alive and well with the 112th Congress. How is it that these practice still occur by both parties and not one comment by the Tea Party?

Mysterious fund allows Congress to spend freely, despite earmark ban - CNN.com

Quote:
Under the cloak of a mysteriously-named "Mission Force Enhancement Transfer Fund," Congress has been squirreling away money -- like $9 million for "future undersea capabilities development," $19 million for "Navy ship preliminary design and feasibility studies," and more than $30 million for a "corrosion prevention program."
So in a year dominated by demands for spending cuts, where did all the money come from?

Roughly $1 billion was quietly transferred from projects listed in the president's defense budget and placed into the "transfer fund." This fund, which wasn't in previous year's defense budgets (when earmarks were permitted), served as a piggy bank from which committee members were able to take money to cover the cost of programs introduced by their amendments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 10:22 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I noticed that this topic has not been bought up on C-D. We're about 6 months into the Republican controlled congress, the same congress that, complained about the millions in Earmarks for pet projects when the Democrats were in control, surprisingly, Earmarks are still alive and well with the 112th Congress. How is it that these practice still occur by both parties and not one comment by the Tea Party?

Mysterious fund allows Congress to spend freely, despite earmark ban - CNN.com
Are you surprised?

Old 06-03-2011, 10:24 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
And there were $8 billion in earmarks in the Appropriations Bill that passed.
PP and medicare got cut but peanut studies, grape studies and foreign animal disease studies were saved and funded. Over 6000 pet projects got funding.

Seems the only way to get votes in Congress these days is to "buy them".
This one was passed and signed end of 2010 but I note it here because it got passed AFTER the ban on earmarks.

Omnibus includes $8B in earmarks - Scott Wong - POLITICO.com

Old 06-03-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And there were $8 billion in earmarks in the Appropriations Bill that passed.
PP and medicare got cut but peanut studies, grape studies and foreign animal disease studies were saved and funded. Over 6000 pet projects got funding.

Seems the only way to get votes in Congress these days is to "buy them".
This one was passed and signed end of 2010 but I note it here because it got passed AFTER the ban on earmarks.

Omnibus includes $8B in earmarks - Scott Wong - POLITICO.com
I would probably go along with that reasoning IF The ‘Mission Force Enhancement Transfer Fund’ wasn't created this year. The way "Congress", meaning BOTH parties, but lead by the Republicans have gotten around this was to create ‘Mission Force Enhancement Transfer Fund’ on May 11th, so its business as usual.

Quote:
The ‘Mission Force Enhancement Transfer Fund’ was created by the House Armed Services Committee on May 11th 2011, whose leadership is under a strict no-earmarks ban mandated by House Republican leadership. The ban forbids members from directing money toward specific projects in their districts. However, under the ban, House members may put forward district-neutral policy proposals but they have to identify offsets within the budget for each of these spending increases.
House Republicans — No Earmarks! Long Live Earmarks! Meet the ‘Mission Force Enhancement Transfer Fund’ | Bill4DogCatcher.com

Old 06-03-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Are you surprised?

Nope, not surprised at all. As I stated before, all of these IDIOTS are the same no matter the party affiliation. I just get a kick out of the childish rants both sides on this board go through on a daily basis as if these politicians REALLY mean what they are saying during campaign time.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:47 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Oh look they made a documentary about the United States government!

YouTube - ‪True Life: I'm A Compulsive Shopper‬‏

They nailed it! Right down to the whining and crying when somebody stops them from spending money on stupid stuff.

Only solution is to send the entire US Senate, Congress, the President and Cabinet to a treatment program for compulsive spending. They've long since started doing what a lot of gambling and drug addicts do: Stealing money so they can keep spending. But they're stealing from things like Social Security.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:59 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
As I see it the issue with earmarks is they are not necessarily bad, it's the abuse of them that becomes the issue. Every congressman is going to want his slice of the pie whether it's needed or not. Without going over the specifics of what is getting funded it's hard to make a determination whether it's appropriate or not.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As I see it the issue with earmarks is they are not necessarily bad, it's the abuse of them that becomes the issue. Every congressman is going to want his slice of the pie whether it's needed or not. Without going over the specifics of what is getting funded it's hard to make a determination whether it's appropriate or not.

I actually agree with you, and you would have a point, however during the 2010 campaign they were all bad and deemed wasteful to the tax payers. My complaint is not necessarily that this practice was ever done, my complaint was this was one of those national finger pointing issues that continues today and in an effort to thumb their nose at the tax payers, they created a "special fund".

Old 06-03-2011, 11:22 AM

898 posts, read 827,922 times
I wonder if someone had a username of "whiteandproud" anyone on the left would be offended?

Old 06-03-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomba View Post
I wonder if someone had a username of "whiteandproud" anyone on the left would be offended?

Too bad it appears YOU have a problem with the user name...To answer your question this BLACK AMERICAN does AND will not, considering there was a whiteandproud and proudandwhite about a year ago. And Since again you appear to have a problem with it, I guess I will have to once again dust this off.

Yes I'm a Black and Proud woman, I'm extremely proud of my accomplishments as a Black Woman, Black Mother and Black American. If YOU can not say that you are proud to be who you are or your nationality, then that is a issue that you will need to take up with yourself and your god if you believe in one. SMH

Yes my user name is blackandproud, GET OVER IT....Now Back to the original Post of Earmarks, deflection didn't works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies