Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Conservatives: If Forced To Choose, Would You Live in San Fransisco or Dearborn?
Dearborn 17 27.42%
San Fransisco 45 72.58%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:19 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Show me another city whose elected leaders (many of whom were re-elected) actively opposed a military recruiting station going to the point of calling them unwelcome and unwanted intruders and the city mayor standing outside the recruiting station telling them to get out of their city. Show me another city that has praised the wikileaks soldier who leaked classified document or offered an open invitation to Muslim terrorist in gitmo. Show me another city that made an official statement opposing the invasion of Afghanistan after 9/11. Show me another city that told it's fire department to remove the American flat so as not to offend people inthe city.
Hey, I never said they weren't a bit crazy... even us San Franciscans think they're too liberal/fringe, and that's saying a lot. But they have a right to speak their mind, and again not ALL Berkeleyans feel this way. It's actually a great city, if you're not offended by overtly anti-war and pro-drug sentiments.

** Note that I said anti-WAR, not anti-military, as that's really what they're trying to say. Most of the city has no problem with military folks, they just oppose wars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 06:17 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
San Francisco. I've survived the hyper-corrupt, Progresssive politics of NJ since moving here in '86.

SF would be a cakewalk.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:51 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
The thing with conservatives is we're not packed into little enclaves like liberals are. There's dozens of places in the country where liberals could go years without encountering any real life conservatives. Madison, San Francisco, Dearborn, Manhattan, Southside Chicago, Cambridge, DC, etc. That would be impossible for a conservative. There's very few places that are more than two thirds conservative. Conservatives encounter liberals almost daily; the reverse is not true for millions of liberals.
I'd have to disagree with you on Dearborn. As I said in a previous post, I lived in and around Dearborn most of my adult life until I moved to Nevada 12 years ago. I often felt like the only person for miles around who wasn't conservative. Only place I've ever lived that I would call liberal was the year or so I lived in Ypsilanti. (Probably why I feel so comfortable where I now live in Las Vegas - you might think otherwise, but I have yet to meet one neighbor who shares my political views!)

Last edited by MsMcQ LV; 06-06-2011 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-06-2011, 08:58 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I mean this to be a bit funny, but it also touches on some liberal/conservative issues. I constantly see conservative posters on here attacking both San Fransisco and Dearborn, albeit for very different reasons.

So here's my question to conservatives: Which is the lesser of two evils? If you had to move to the stereotyped version of one or the other, which would it be? Who would you rather have as your neighbors: Godless gender and sexual misfits, or freedom-hating Muslim shariasts?
What are the taxes in Dearborn?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
While in a large city, that is certainly true. However, once you get out into the country-side, those proportions change significantly. As any election map broken down by county/borough/parish shows, the vast majority of conservatives live in small rural communities, whereas the vast majority of liberals live in large population centers.

It is in keeping with both of their underlying philosophy. Conservatives want less government involvement in their daily lives, so they live where government is the least intrusive - in less densely populated, more rural areas. Whereas, liberals want more government involvement in their daily lives, so they live where government is concentrated the most - in more densely populated large urban areas.
Really? This liberal thinks you have those two philosophies reversed. I do believe it's the conservatives who demand that gays not be allowed to marry. I think it's the conservatives who want the government to tell women that they can't have an abortion, even if pregnancy might kill them. Can you give me one example of how we liberals want government in our lives, because I honestly can't think of one?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Really? I've heard it many times, not to mention the people who wish all of California would disappear into the ocean... yeah, that's really tolerant. I have lived in conservative areas, and did just fine since I accept that everyone has different beliefs. Do I prefer a mostly liberal area? Sure. But I could be happy just about anywhere, since I have a "live and let live" attitude in general. I've had friends with all beliefs, from born-again Christians and conservatives to gay Atheists, and they each had something special to offer. That's the beauty of this world, and the freedom we have to choose our personal, political & religious beliefs.
One thing I have never considered when choosing a home was the political leanings of the populace where that home was. My decision has always been economically based - can I afford a decent home there; will I be able to afford the taxes; is there 'budget' shopping nearby? And a variety of eating establishments?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:23 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I mean this to be a bit funny, but it also touches on some liberal/conservative issues. I constantly see conservative posters on here attacking both San Fransisco and Dearborn, albeit for very different reasons.

So here's my question to conservatives: Which is the lesser of two evils? If you had to move to the stereotyped version of one or the other, which would it be? Who would you rather have as your neighbors: Godless gender and sexual misfits, or freedom-hating Muslim shariasts?
I can't take part in your poll since I can't pick NEITHER and that would be my choice.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:54 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
Wow, some choice. Is "none of the above" an option? if it were, most of us would check that box. On the one hand, we have a city that is a mix between Sodom & Gomorrah and pre 1991 Moscow. On the other, Kabul and Port-au-Prince combined. Rather like that old joke about how would you like to be executed. Gas chamber or electric chair?

Old 06-06-2011, 11:03 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Hey, I never said they weren't a bit crazy... even us San Franciscans think they're too liberal/fringe, and that's saying a lot. But they have a right to speak their mind, and again not ALL Berkeleyans feel this way. It's actually a great city, if you're not offended by overtly anti-war and pro-drug sentiments.

** Note that I said anti-WAR, not anti-military, as that's really what they're trying to say. Most of the city has no problem with military folks, they just oppose wars.
When you have city council members and mayor calling the marines murders and saying other things directly about the marines then it's an anti-military decision they made based upon the council meeting video the night the decision was made and videos of the protestors (their signs and their own words). And then for the council to take the additional step of assigning the city's attorney to find a legal means to evict the marine recruiters from their city was just one more step over the line.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:57 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I absolutely love northern California.
Once again, a reminder. San Francisco is NOT in Northern California, it is in Central California. This topic has often been debated on other threads and other forums, sometimes seriously, often with humor. From the Bay Area to the Oregon border it is 300 miles, with lots and lots of square milage and scores of towns and small cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies