Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 02:14 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I think the freeloaders you are referring to would not be affected by the 0bamaCare mandate, so nothing gets fixed, you will still be paying for them.
Not only it's unconstitutional, it is hard to enforce. Obamacare is a disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 02:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Many docs I know don't even bother billing medicaid because it costs more to bill them than they ever get reimbursed.

That's why no one wants to take it.
True that.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I've spent a little time in the ER and seen 90% of the cases non emergency, fever, runny nose, bean up the nose, etc. etc. I have heard locally of so many non-payments from illegals that have to be written off and read of many hospitals that have had to close due to ER non-payments. Ive read the signs declaring that no one can be turned away and it is against the law for the ER to refuse treatment. But Ill show them you post.
Weekends and evenings are especially bad because doctor offices and clinics are not open. I had to take my son to the ER for stitches because we got to the clinic 30 miles away 5 minutes after they closed at 7 p.m. BTW we had to wait a few hrs. behind colds and upset tummys and interpreters.

Sure medicaid pays some, but when its free people abuse it and go to the dr. and ER unnecessarily.
So you did a survey or something while you were in the ER?

"You've heard", etc. I never heard of a hospital closing their ER for that reason. Maybe you have some documentation?

We've discussed the ER law. An ER doc on this thread agrees with me.

You should have called your doctor first. They might have been able to arrange for you to be seen more quickly. People don't seem to understand how to utilize after-hours care.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:04 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
No it's not.

Insurance is a pool.

Everyone who is insured by that pool of people have paid in.

What part of that don't you understand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Huh? No, it's paying for YOURSELF! If you don't pay, you don't get.
Let's do a few examples

You pay in $1000

$250 of that goes straight to administrative costs and profit.

$750 remains

Scenario A:
You need no medical care. You paid $750 for someone else's medical care

Scenario B: You need $500 of medical care. You paid $250 for someone else's medical care

Scenario C: You need $1000 of medical care. Someone else paid $250 of your medical care.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:18 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
No it's not.

Insurance is a pool.

Everyone who is insured by that pool of people have paid in.

What part of that don't you understand?
The only reason you're a part of the pool is to pay less when you pay more. If you don't expect to reap the benefits, why would you participate?

Old 06-09-2011, 03:30 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
There are a ton of people on here complaining about the healthcare mandate. Currently in the US, everyone gets healthcare. Those who are young, old or disabled have federally funded healthcare and they pretty much universally do not want it taken away. The others can just walk into a hospital with an emergency and take advantage of the healthcare services that are paid for by those with health insurance.

For those of you without health insurance and who are against the mandate, please explain why I should be expected to pay for you. I have health insurance and I fund the healthcare system. You don't.

I guess I can see why you are against the mandate. You'd rather free load. It's funny how so many of complain about personal responsibility, but have no plan to take care of yourself (other than leeching off of others) should you get sick or injured.
I'm self employed and have health insurance. But I
think in particular - if you are addressing the young
and healthy, you can look at this from another perspective.

We all know Obamacare will now cover folks with preexisting conditions, of which many require very expensive care. We also know insurance companies are in the profit making business - just ask any shareholder

So, should otherwise healthy folks be required to pay an increased insurance premium (of which they surely will) which will be set at a rate to cover the additional cost insurance companies will now pay for covering folks who before, they did not pay for. Or should
healthy folks pay more for insurance at all if they aren't sick. What if they just have a medical rider with their auto policy?

The working poor will pay no premiums, because under
Obamacare they will qualify for medicaid. The terminally
ill and lifetime sick individuals will pay no premiums
eventually, because they will have all but exhausted their funds and qualify for medicaid/medicare anyways.

The federal government has no constitutional authority, to force a citizen to purchase a private product or ESPECIALLY engage in a legal contract with a private company - of which a medical insurance policy is.

Where Obamacare fails is mixing private with public once
again. It's a disaster with foreseen waste by the government and fraud by insurance companies (Medicare Advantage is a perfect example).

If the government wants insurance coverage for all its citizens there is only one legal, constitutional avenue they
can take:

Universal single payer health care through payroll tax e.g. Medicare for all.

Medicare for All: Home

Also, the government can't legally allow the IRS to fine anyone if they don't adhere to a mandatory private purchase by indirectly inferring it's a tax. It either is a tax or it isn't.

I would have to say, while Obamacare might have had
good intentions; it is probably one the worst pieces of legislation ever passed in this country.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:48 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I guess having everyone without health insurance put to sleep would fix it.

Funny how we started with most having it and a good number of those who didn't because they decided not to.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:22 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
It's 5 years later and you haven't even gotten your disability sorted? Why doesn't your wife work? An occupational therapist seems to think that you can work. Perhaps that means that you can find work. Why do you expect the 'nanny state' to pay for you.

So this is a nanny state yet you want to be able to write off your medical expenses (aka have the government subsidize them for you). I'm sorry that you hurt your back at work. I hope that YOU took the time to make sure that you had a backup plan in that case. Also, what is your wife doing to help? It doesn't sound like she's disabled.

Sorry, but you complain about the nanny state out of one side of your mouth and then complain that the government isn't doing enough for you out of the other side. Perhaps you can make up your mind which one you want.
Right the neurosurgeon tells me never climb,stoop,stand or sit for more than 2 hr,never lift more than 5 pounds but they take my earnings [$800 a month] out of my annuity for my so called part time job which means 3/12 hour days so how am i getting ahead? No health care withholding money each month that you earn out of your annunity check its like beating my head against the wall.You have no idea what you are talking about my wife has eye trouble she was legally blind in one eye we didn't go running to Uncle Sam or sue the doctor that caused her trouble.
Besides i stated that it is government BS that the 1st bloodsucker a FELA lawyer didn't want to deal with he screwed the pooch.As far as planning i have done that its the government that thinks i'am rich and they have screwed up everything i live worse now than anytime in my life.Railroad Retirement taxes that i paid were more than my Fed,state,local combined every pay i have never been a freeloader....

Old 06-10-2011, 10:31 AM

6 posts, read 4,415 times
conservatives seem to support DEATH PANELS.

you don't have insurance?.....well...I guess you're just going to have to die.....

Old 06-10-2011, 10:33 AM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
^^^

Zing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies