Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 01:36 PM

589 posts, read 376,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Through the 12 months ended in March of last year, 505,473 new businesses started up in the U.S., according to the latest data available from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. That's the weakest growth since the bureau started tracking the data in the early 1990s. It's down sharply from the record 667,341 new businesses added in the 12 months that ended in March 2006.
Weak start-up growth has dire implications for jobs because small and midsize businesses have driven employment gains in the U.S. for years. Between the recession that ended in late 2001 and the start of the most recent recession in late 2007, businesses that employed fewer than 500 workers added nearly 7 million employees, according to data collected by payroll provider ADP, which tracks employment trends.
Small businesses, crucial to growth, face challenges - USATODAY.com

Hard times + bad economic policies..It's not the best moment to be small business owner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 01:37 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
(In before the neo-progs claim these people have no balls and that they should gamble their hard earned money away out of a sense of patriotism)

Old 06-13-2011, 01:50 PM

589 posts, read 376,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
(In before the neo-progs claim these people have no balls and that they should gamble their hard earned money away out of a sense of patriotism)
Ahahaha yeah ! In before

Old 06-13-2011, 01:54 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,042,467 times
I dont' expect small businesses to bail out the American economy. Anyone who does is an idiot and is not paying attention to what is going on. I don't blame small businesses like this. It's the mega corporations like GE and the banks that are ruining the US economy. It's the big oil and extraction industries. These are the companies that need to start hiring and taking risks. Hording cash, laying off people is bull****. Americans and the AMerican consumer made these companies wealthy beyond imagination...........it's time they start giving back and taking risk. They need to start paying more taxes and our government needs to get behind this. If you wanna do business here and take advantage of the American consumer and worker you're going to pay for it. But due to globilization and the fact that most of these big companies like GE operate on a global scale and are owned by banks our government has no leverage. They'll just move elsewhere and find cheaper labor and better profits.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:56 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,092,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
Ahahaha yeah ! In before
I am in big business...and this is what I have bene telling people. Uncertaintinty around health care costs, uncertainty around new Fed regulations, etc. Until we see a clear direction on policies, and a more pro business response from teh Fed Govt I would not recommend expanding....

And for thos who are critical, ...we have already made cust to improve waste nad improve efficiency.....but why hire when there are unknown costs possibly coming down....unlike the Govt., we can't stay in business if we loose money....

Old 06-13-2011, 01:59 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,092,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
I dont' expect small businesses to bail out the American economy. Anyone who does is an idiot and is not paying attention to what is going on. I don't blame small businesses like this. It's the mega corporations like GE and the banks that are ruining the US economy. It's the big oil and extraction industries. These are the companies that need to start hiring and taking risks. Hording cash, laying off people is bull****. Americans and the AMerican consumer made these companies wealthy beyond imagination...........it's time they start giving back and taking risk. They need to start paying more taxes and our government needs to get behind this. If you wanna do business here and take advantage of the American consumer and worker you're going to pay for it. But due to globilization and the fact that most of these big companies like GE operate on a global scale and are owned by banks our government has no leverage. They'll just move elsewhere and find cheaper labor and better profits.
Not going to happen. Why would I take a risk if I can take a concentrated risk elsewhere...Businesses are around to make money, not hire people. Businesses want to hire good people to do that. Businesses can pay extra to teh Govt (in taxes) or to employees, but not both. If I think the Gov is about to change laws to impact the bottom line, I would assume not hire. Not a hard concept...corproate tax rates are some of the highest in the world...want to hire local, provide business with beter incentive to do that...

Old 06-13-2011, 02:05 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
It's pretty simple why jobs are not this administration's primary concern. You know, the President gives lip service to it, but he demonstrated in his first years in office that everything (stimulus that doesn't stimulate, Obamacare, Cap and Trade, moratorium in the Gulf) else all come before a jobs priority.

See, if people aren't working, they need Democrats.

Private industry doesn't add Democrats to their payrolls as a group of voters. Better off keeping people unemployed and dependent on government so they'll assuredly vote Democrat for government freebies: welfare, food stamps, extended unemployment benefits, etc.)

If they have to work, better to increase the number of federal goverment workers. They vote their paychecks so increase federal government workers and be assured of increasing Democrat voters.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:12 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
Small businesses, crucial to growth, face challenges - USATODAY.com

Hard times + bad economic policies..It's not the best moment to be small business owner
How were the times for small businesses in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008 and 2009? I'm guessing, not as good as the bubbling economy of 2006 and 2007?

Old 06-13-2011, 02:24 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Marc Faber had said this is a time to preserve and hide wealth, not to create it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies